Thread: Ahead Drumsticks?

User Info Menu

Default Ahead Drumsticks?

Anyone use these anymore?

I bought a set back in the 1990s, and I think I used them for over a year before they finally broke. Cool idea, but if I remember correctly, they had little to no rebound. I remember picking up my first pair of wooden sticks after my Aheads broke, and I felt like I was in a drum corps b/c there was so much recoil.

Anyone ever use these? Like'em? Hate'em? Experiences?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ahead Drumsticks?

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Anyone use these anymore?

I bought a set back in the 1990s, and I think I used them for over a year before they finally broke. Cool idea, but if I remember correctly, they had little to no rebound. I remember picking up my first pair of wooden sticks after my Aheads broke, and I felt like I was in a drum corps b/c there was so much recoil.

Anyone ever use these? Like'em? Hate'em? Experiences?
    I still use them......................................great sticks

User Info Menu

I have a pair of 5B's that Ive used for about 10yrs (same pair). I love them. They are light and well balanced, but still provide the hitting power of a 5B. Been thinking about buying another pair in 7A.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

That might be Markadiddle's problem, he's using Behind drum sticks.

User Info Menu

I've been using them since I got tendinitis in my arm. Doesn't hurt as bad as the sticks I normally play.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

I Have a couple of pairs,I use them on my e kit.I like wood for accoustic sets

User Info Menu

LOL! Wow... I didn't know these were still around. I had a pair of these when I was a kid... probably about 11 or 12. I thought they were so futuristic. Hehehehe.... I just prefer my Dave Weckls now. LOL
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

I've found the concept intriguing. However, I have so many sticks that I've bought to try to 'dial in' my preference that I'll probably never wear them down or break 'em all. Can't justify the expense of the Aheads, but would like to try...
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I get some ocassionally. But it sucks when they eventually snap in half. The Aquarian sticks will break like maple if you hit too hard.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I get some ocassionally. But it sucks when they eventually snap in half. The Aquarian sticks will break like maple if you hit too hard.
    I think that my primary complaint about them was when they went, there was absolutely no warning. When you crack a wooden stick, you can tell it's about to go, so you can make a judgement call as to whether to finish out the song or toss it and grab another one.

However, I REALLY like the idea of using them on an electric kit. I get way to much recoil on those "toms," so the Aheads may do a great job of absorbing it.

The rubber "cymbals" may be another story all together...

User Info Menu

They definately wont leave you with anything to work with when they break.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    That might be Markadiddle's problem, he's using Behind drum sticks.
    To funny but oh so true lol. I have a set but really never liked them much other than for practicing. Now the old metal , wooden sticks now there classic lol
    Last edited by not him; 07-23-2014 at 06:21 AM.

User Info Menu

I was interested in trying them until I talked to someone who said - I'd rather break my sticks than break a cymbal with those things. So, I never tried them.still curious about them though.

User Info Menu

No thank you on their sticks.

But I do own two AHEAD ARMOUR top-line drum bags that are terrific.
    A 24 for the bass and an 18 for the floor tom..........love them.

My two fiber cases finally got old and began to fall apart............they lasted 35 years..............longer than I ever expected.
    [My snare and other toms all fit together in an old anvil-type road case.]

Check it out :

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)