Thread: Practiced to long on drums

User Info Menu

Default Practiced to long on drums

Yesterday I set up my gretsch kit and practiced playing along to songs for about 3 hrs.. Well today I am paying for it my back is really hurting with muscle spasms. I really want to practice today but I know I need to take a break. Really like the way Keith Carlock style of playing is plus I feel very comfortable with his style my body needs to get use to it.

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Practiced to long on drums

I take breaks about every hour or so. Well it sounds like you had fun and that is important too.

User Info Menu

I find my legs give up after about an hour and a half and if I carry on I am useless the next day as my feet refuse to play the game. My problems are due to old injuries and unfortunately there is no way around this.

I try to practice for an hour, take a break for about an hour and go back to practice for 30 - 50 minutes. This works better for me as I am ok the next day to continue. If I decide to have one practice session after an hour is up I just concentrate on rudiments and sticking exercises and try to rest my legs.

When I started I could only play for about 20 minutes, after a year I have quadrupled my 'endurance' and I'm hoping that in another year I will be able to play for 2 hours without a break but I'm a long way from it at the mo. Damn my old man physique.

User Info Menu

Just keep at it, you'll build up your stamina. Now imagine...loading a trailer full of equipment, driving for an hour, unloading it, setting it up, playing for 4 or even 6 hours, tearing it all down, loading it in a trailer, driving home and then unloading it again.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Just keep at it, you'll build up your stamina. Now imagine...loading a trailer full of equipment, driving for an hour, unloading it, setting it up, playing for 4 or even 6 hours, tearing it all down, loading it in a trailer, driving home and then unloading it again.
    Three times a week!

User Info Menu

I'm 54 and I'm feeling every bit of it today after last Fridays gig. Out of the 4 guys in the band, I think I'm the most fortunate healthwise. One guy is getting his hip replaced in two weeks and the I found out one of my other bandmates was diagnosed with hepatitis c. I was wondering why we're struggling under the near 100 degree heat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I'm 54 and I'm feeling every bit of it today after last Fridays gig...
    My wife wonders why I go through all this at such a physically demanding cost... my reply is simply 'Because one day I will not be able to.'

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    ...Out of the 4 guys in the band, I think I'm the most fortunate healthwise. One guy is getting his hip replaced in two weeks and the I found out one of my other bandmates was diagnosed with hepatitis c. I was wondering why we're struggling under the near 100 degree heat.
    All the best to your guys Rich... Hope you guys will be able to keep on keepin on...
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

It helps a whole lot to be physically fit.

Most of my life, I have not been. By then end of a gig, I'm usually sweaty, tired and sore. But in 2012, my mom died of a heart attack at 57. Big wake up call to me, since I was living a pretty unhealthy lifestyle. Over the last six months or so, I've gotten myself in much better shape. I quit smoking. Started going to the gym, lost 40+ pounds since January (I was 220 in Sept, now I'm in the high 170s), and just recently started running. When I started running, I wasn't able to run for a consecutive minute. Now I regularly run about three miles a day.

In all this, I discovered my drumming stamina has vastly improved. I used to be relieved at the end of every set, and I found that I wasn't giving it my 100% sometimes, because I was too tired. Since getting into relatively decent shape, that's definitely changed, and it shows in my playing.
    DW Performance
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Gibraltar Hardware

BackStreetDrums Guest

Get into jumping rope...not only good for you, but helps with your timing as well

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
    My wife wonders why I go through all this at such a physically demanding cost... my reply is simply 'Because one day I will not be able to.'
    Yep I agree with that 100 %. One day the stroke happens or the arthritis gets so bad that people can't play anymore. Then it is too late.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cg2112 View Post
    It helps a whole lot to be physically fit.

Most of my life, I have not been. By then end of a gig, I'm usually sweaty, tired and sore. But in 2012, my mom died of a heart attack at 57. Big wake up call to me, since I was living a pretty unhealthy lifestyle. Over the last six months or so, I've gotten myself in much better shape. I quit smoking. Started going to the gym, lost 40+ pounds since January (I was 220 in Sept, now I'm in the high 170s), and just recently started running. When I started running, I wasn't able to run for a consecutive minute. Now I regularly run about three miles a day.

In all this, I discovered my drumming stamina has vastly improved. I used to be relieved at the end of every set, and I found that I wasn't giving it my 100% sometimes, because I was too tired. Since getting into relatively decent shape, that's definitely changed, and it shows in my playing.
    Good stuff. Being physically fit and eating healthy is important if you want to keep at this instrument of ours.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I guess I am lucky being young,I don't ache much but I did smash my thumb a couple of weeks ago, playing rounders at school though, and it really hurts!
    If I have my own throne I can play 3 hours fine, I just get sweaty, but I have had back ache after playing a couple of hours on a borrowed set up... not cool!
    Bridie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kickinit View Post

All the best to your guys Rich... Hope you guys will be able to keep on keepin on...
    Thanks David!! I appreciate the good mojo!