Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tom Hanks as Neil Peart...Really?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tom Hanks as Neil Peart...Really?

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I can see Dennis Quaid as Alex Lifeson?

That works so well!!
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Steve Martin comes to mind. What an excellent Banjo player.....and also VERY involved in promoting Banjo playing.

The one that impressed me most was Jamie Foxx in the movie Ray. I didn't realize he was an excellent pianist until the movie came out. Ray Charles was (IMO) the most soulful singer and musician of the century, and I can't imagine anyone portraying him better than Jamie did.
    That's cool N2Bluz. I didn't know Jamie Foxx played piano. You make a good point. The actor/actress potraying the role must "sell" the audience as if you're watching the real thing. I'll give Hanks huge props if he can pull a "Jamie Foxx" type performance in this movie. I know when he prepared himself for the movie "Saving Private Ryan", Hanks and company went through a compressed version of boot camp put on by former military advisors. Just like Hanks prepared for "Apollo 13", I'm wondering if he'll emerse himself in the role by hanging out with a rather private and elusive Neil Peart?

User Info Menu

You guys crack me up.

Satire guys, it's a joke. Notice the sub heading "News Not Fit for Consumption".

Another story headline: "Winery Dogs Cancel Tour Due to Venues Inability to Accommodate Mike Portnoy's Head"

http://overthetopmetalnews.wordpress...he-rush-story/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    You guys crack me up.

Satire guys, it's a joke. Notice the sub heading "News Not Fit for Consumption".

Another story headline: "Winery Dogs Cancel Tour Due to Venues Inability to Accommodate Mike Portnoy's Head"

http://overthetopmetalnews.wordpress...he-rush-story/
    Oh man.. really??

User Info Menu

Tom hanks is screwed. but for real peart is still alive why don't they double team it peart does the drumming and hanks does the acting

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    That's cool N2Bluz. I didn't know Jamie Foxx played piano. You make a good point. The actor/actress potraying the role must "sell" the audience as if you're watching the real thing. I'll give Hanks huge props if he can pull a "Jamie Foxx" type performance in this movie. I know when he prepared himself for the movie "Saving Private Ryan", Hanks and company went through a compressed version of boot camp put on by former military advisors. Just like Hanks prepared for "Apollo 13", I'm wondering if he'll emerse himself in the role by hanging out with a rather private and elusive Neil Peart?
    Before making the movie Ray, Jamie spent a ton of time with Ray Charles...studying his mannerisms, vocal styles, piano playing, etc.. Shortly after that, Ray passed away. Can you imagine the honor Jamie must have felt?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I would never have guessed.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I would never have guessed.
    It has to be true...I read it on the internet!

User Info Menu

YouAnother story headline: "Winery Dogs Cancel Tour Due to Venues Inability to Accommodate Mike Portnoy's Head"
    I know this is a fact!
    Last edited by late8; 07-16-2014 at 12:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Steve Martin comes to mind. What an excellent Banjo player.....and also VERY involved in promoting Banjo playing.
    He won a Grammy this year for this song.

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

^ That was very cool EddieV. Thanks for posting it up!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Maybe "That thing you do!" ??
    He was in that, but didn't play the drummer or the drums.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Hey drummer could play anyone as we don't know what he looks like just dub Neils head on him lol

User Info Menu

cool, I know he played the giant keyboard in BIG!
    I love that film
    Bridie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by not him View Post
    Hey drummer could play anyone as we don't know what he looks like just dub Neils head on him lol
    Like this??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by not him View Post
    Maybe Tom is actually Tom Hanks?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    It's beyond my abilities............but someone has to photoshop a bass and a microphone on the wicked witch

Well, no microphone, but at least the bass is in there....

I just need Kim Carnes singing "She's got Gary Weinrib's Eyes"
    and that will complete the 'chopshop' job, methinks, hmmm....

Last edited by Drumbledore; 07-17-2014 at 06:18 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Well, no microphone, but at least the bass is in there....

I just need Kim Carnes singing "She's got Gary Weinrib's Eyes"
    and that will complete the 'chopshop' job, methinks, hmmm....

Great Stuff DD.................the resemblance is eerie!

User Info Menu

I couldn't pass this one up though....

User Info Menu

Awesome work Michael!! Love it!!

User Info Menu

That's hilarious!!!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, a mate who's just as a big Rush fan as me was bowled over with laughter over that one. And that's the really cool thing about Rush and their fans....the sense of humour.

By the way....reckon we could use a new home page?

User Info Menu

Nick Nolte or Keifer Sutherland for Alex Lifeson

all the best...

User Info Menu

This guy was a contestant on the food networks chopped show. Looks very much like Ged.

User Info Menu

I know necroposting is usually frowned upon here, but I couldn't resist this one time. I do apologize, though. Having gone into film as my career, I think about this potential movie quite often!

I really don't see how this movie can't happen, for real. Tom Hanks has played so many different figures, gone chameleon in so many ways, and now after seeing him do such a great job as Mr. Rogers, I'm convinced this man can truly do the same with The Professor. It would definitely take someone who can really, really research Mr. Peart's life and capture it as a screenplay, first. That's the biggest challenge of the film, knowing how secretive and personal Neil Peart was. Even making his life into something far more public is a questionable decision.

Of course, the next challenge is casting someone as Geddy. The witch idea here is hilarious. I've seen a post recommending Tom Hiddleston. That might work, but you might have to George Clooney the singing (Yes, that's an O Brother reference). What would be really great to see is someone else with a Jewish background. It doesn't have to be quite as strong as Geddy's (as his parents met during the holocaust, and that's worthy of a movie in and of itself), but I think it'd be neat for Geddy and whoever plays him to be able to easily share those kinds of notes. It surely would be a difficult role, considering all the things Geddy does at once.

Someone here mentioned Steve Martin as Alex. I think that could work, though I kind of see John C Reilly fitting the role better. This way, you can do makeup and slight CG effects (more like how they had it for The Irishman), as needed. Either way, you've got an actor who can really grasp being goofy and being serious when needed, while simultaneously being a master at their craft.

The other thing - and possible trick - is casting someone younger as a young Neil, at least during the early days of Rush up through 2112. If Elton John managed to do that, why can't Rush?

It also occurred to me that John Rutsey would need someone to play as him. Also, the managers and producers Rush have had over the years, who each have influenced every one of their albums.

Nevertheless, it'd be a great time to start working on this considering all the biops and music and band-related movies coming out lately. This would be a wonderful addition to them, I'm very sure.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."