Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tom Hanks as Neil Peart...Really?

User Info Menu

Default Tom Hanks as Neil Peart...Really?

Looks like a 2016 release of the docudrama "Moving Pictures". Hanks said toughest part was doing all of the drumming himself. Wow...to try and pull this off will be tough no? What do you folks think?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tom Hanks as Neil Peart...Really?

You know, Tom Hanks is a very talented actor. But trying to play like Neil Peart, who has had YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS of experience? Ya.... good luck with all of that!

What next? Will Ferrell as Chad Smith? LOL!
    Last edited by Markadiddle; 07-15-2014 at 08:44 PM.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post

What next? Will Ferrell as Chad Smith? LOL!

Maybe a lot of CG? There will have to be a whole lotta camera smoke and mirrors to pull this off.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

It will probably be quick takes of selected popular drum parts that Tom will practice forever in order to simulate close enough to make it believable. It's not like he will play a whole song for us. I think it's a cool idea and a tribute to Mr. Peart's legacy. Good luck finding someone to play Geddy though.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Doesn't Tom Hanks already play drums? I seem to remember seeing him play drums in a movie......I want to say it was "Philadelphia".

Next thing, they'll have Chevy Chase playing drums in Steeley Dan......oh, wait.....
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 07-15-2014 at 09:43 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Doesn't Tom Hanks already play drums? I seem to remember seeing him play drums in a movie......I want to say it was "Philadelphia".
    Maybe "That thing you do!" ??
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

User Info Menu

Could've been, but I've never seen that movie. Ive heard he even helped compose some of the music in that movie. I think in Philadelphia, he walked around with drum sticks playing rudiments on anything and everything.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Next thing, they'll have Chevy Chase playing drums in Steeley Dan......oh, wait.....
    I don't think so from what I remember. He just carried around some drumsticks.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Nope. I have the movie. He didn't play the drums in that one.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Actually, that wouldn't surprise me much since Chevy is an accomplished pianist.
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post

Maybe a lot of CG? There will have to be a whole lotta camera smoke and mirrors to pull this off.
    I think you nailed it. I think a lot of the filmed drumming action will be viewed from the front of the kit - a very large kit - all you are likely to see is his head and the sticks when they are visible. I think he may play a few passages (which of course he will have practiced for AGES) but I suspect that with Hollywood wizardry - he will be drumming on a click at a slower speed and 'adjusting' the film as necessary.

Tom Hanks may 'do all the drumming' on the film, but I suspect the drums on the soundtrack will be played by someone else - someone named Peart maybe? After the Apollo 13th movie Mr Hanks commented that the film was as arduous as training as an astronaut! Actor types do sometimes exaggerate when they are attempting to promote their offerings.
    I bet he was standing when he made this claim - otherwise his voice would have been muffled.

User Info Menu

Many actors have talents that have never been seen on film, and it's certainly possible that Tom Hanks was chosen for the part because he could play the drums. Of course, being able to play is totally different than being able to play like Neil Peart. The difference between being able to play, and being able to play like Neil is what "acting" is all about. It may not fool drummers, but the general public may enjoy it without thinking about the difference.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Many actors have talents that have never been seen on film, and it's certainly possible that Tom Hanks was chosen for the part because he could play the drums. Of course, being able to play is totally different than being able to play like Neil Peart. The difference between being able to play, and being able to play like Neil is what "acting" is all about. It may not fool drummers, but the general public may enjoy it without thinking about the difference.
    "I Walk the Line" movie with Joaquin Phoenix playing Johnny Cash comes to mind by your post Bob. I had no idea he could sing. I read Phoenix had to learn to play the guitar rather quickly. I tried to keep my eye on the fret board as he played during the concert scenes but since I only a know few chords, he could of fooled me by any account. Val Kilmer playing Jim Morrison was pretty convincing. Correct me if I'm mistaken but didn't Kilmer do all of the singing parts?

I suppose acting as if one was playing a musician is no easy feat but I'll go see this flick with an open mind and just appreciate the fact that some movie exec at Touchstone Pictures (aka Disney) is a Rush fan. Good for them boys from the Great White North...

User Info Menu

It.........could.............WORK!!!!

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

isn't their a Canadien connection? isn't Hanks Canadien? sorry if I spelled that wrong.
    Last edited by slinky; 07-16-2014 at 06:12 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

That would be the French version slinky
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

No, Tom Hanks is not Canadian..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    Good luck finding someone to play Geddy though.

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

SCORE ^
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Hilarious.

User Info Menu

Actually, that wouldn't surprise me much since Chevy is an accomplished pianist.
    Now that I didn't know! Wait.......did he play piano in one of the Fletch movies? I knew he could play drums, and was in a Jazz band with Donald Fagen in college. I believe he also played in a rock band for a short time and recorded an album (?).
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    It's beyond my abilities............but someone has to photoshop a bass and a microphone on the wicked witch

User Info Menu

I can see Dennis Quaid as Alex Lifeson?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Steve Martin comes to mind. What an excellent Banjo player.....and also VERY involved in promoting Banjo playing.

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    "I Walk the Line" movie with Joaquin Phoenix playing Johnny Cash comes to mind by your post Bob. I had no idea he could sing. I read Phoenix had to learn to play the guitar rather quickly. I tried to keep my eye on the fret board as he played during the concert scenes but since I only a know few chords, he could of fooled me by any account. Val Kilmer playing Jim Morrison was pretty convincing. Correct me if I'm mistaken but didn't Kilmer do all of the singing parts?

I suppose acting as if one was playing a musician is no easy feat but I'll go see this flick with an open mind and just appreciate the fact that some movie exec at Touchstone Pictures (aka Disney) is a Rush fan. Good for them boys from the Great White North...
    The one that impressed me most was Jamie Foxx in the movie Ray. I didn't realize he was an excellent pianist until the movie came out. Ray Charles was (IMO) the most soulful singer and musician of the century, and I can't imagine anyone portraying him better than Jamie did.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

The one that impressed me most was Jamie Foxx in the movie Ray. I didn't realize he was an excellent pianist until the movie came out. Ray Charles was (IMO) the most soulful singer and musician of the century, and I can't imagine anyone portraying him better than Jamie did.
    Totally agree - Foxx nailed the subtle "quirks" Charles was known for - those fast smiles etc. It was a great performance.

MM