Thread: Heel down players favors single chain pedals?

User Info Menu

Question Heel down players favors single chain pedals?

Anybody else discover that many a good, single chain pedal has faster response than a double chain pedal for heel down playing? I mean the build of the double chain pedals seems so much "heavier" duty than their single chain counterparts, translating to more power required to get the greater mass moving.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Default Re: Heel down players favors single chain pedals?

I'm glad you brought this up. At the practice studio, I was using an old single chain Camco pedal to record a few demos and WOW!!! I couldn't believe the action I was getting from the single chain. It almost felt as good as an old belted bass drum pedals.

User Info Menu

Funny you mention it.... I recently set aside my Pearl Eliminator in favor of an older, much cheaper Peace pedal with a single chain. Same exact insight - I did not know why I liked the cheaper pedal until now! I am really looking forward to shopping long boards this weekend though...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRoyale View Post
    Funny you mention it.... I recently set aside my Pearl Eliminator in favor of an older, much cheaper Peace pedal with a single chain. Same exact insight - I did not know why I liked the cheaper pedal until now! I am really looking forward to shopping long boards this weekend though...
    Mike look into the Tama Speed Cobras...their boards are pretty long and much cheaper than Axis and Trick....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Mike look into the Tama Speed Cobras...their boards are pretty long and much cheaper than Axis and Trick....
    Thanks for the tip - that is not the first time I have heard this, and I LOVE consensus. Or as close to consensus as you can get for drummers - which to me is when a second drummer thinks something that I like :-)

User Info Menu

I just switched to an old single chain pedal from a newer double chain just for that reason. Seems quicker and more responsive.
    Gretsch Renown
    Ludwig Supraphonic
    Zildjian
    15”, 16”, 18” K Dark Thin
    16”, 18” K Sweet
    16" A Custom EFX
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    22” 60’s A Ride
    14" 50's Thin hats
    14” K Sweet hats

User Info Menu

I've been playing an older DW5000 single chain (I think it's the round cam) at rehearsal the last few weeks. I could probably make a couple adjustments to lighten it up a bit and get the feel you're describing, but the spring is currently very tight and I don't feel right adjusting somebody else's pedal. My guess would be that you've got less weight with the single chain and narrower came that comes with it.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    ...and I'm thinking about selling mine. No matter how I adjust it, it just seems to be the "trainer" for my single chain Sonor and Speed Kings: everything I do on the Tama seems faster and easier on the others.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT

User Info Menu

When I was shopping for my first double pedal a couple of years ago I tried out everything I could get my feet on with double chain drive based on what my friends were using---I can't say that I play heel up or down as it varies by what type of music I am playing---then one day I was at the local music store, and they had just received a shipment of Pearl P-902 Powershifter single chain pedals, and the drum tech told me I could open one and play with it on one of their kits I put them on a set of Pearl Exports that was "without pedal" anyway, tinkered with the heel plate for about 10 minutes, and played for about 10 more before I pulled the trigger and took them home---$150 out the door---I no longer see the need for the extra chain

User Info Menu

I always liked the feel and simplicity of a lever arm/direct pull pedal....whether it be a chain, strap or solid link (like a Speed King). I have a couple old CB700 pedals that are direct pull. Basically the same principal as a SK, except with external springs and a chain instead of a solid link. The only problem is how cheap they are made.

Which reminds me; I need to finish rebuilding my Speed King.....
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I think I'm probably just displaying how little I know about pedals here - but does the extra weight of a double chain make much difference to the overall feel? Wouldn't the adjusting the spring tension compensate - or is it down to the spring/drum head having to cope with the extra moving mass?

I have two pedals - an older HP900 Iron Cobra single pedal with double chain and a very old Pearl P100 pedal with a belt (or maybe a strap?). I don't use the Pearl as it seems very light and it doesn't have a solid baseplate - its a spare if my IC ever breaks. I used it for a while but couldn't seem to adjust to the spooky light feel - I think I'm just used to the feel of the IC.

User Info Menu

I too am inexperienced with pedals - I only know what I "feel" and like. When I saw Sling mention how much heavier duty the dual chains feel to him I shouted YES! :-) When I have the dual chain pedal in place I just feel like I am pushing down on a lot more - regardless of spring tension too. When I am on the single chain pedal - yes it does kind of feel a bit unstable when I first hook it up. But once I pound it a bit it feels so much better. The analogy I would use is how my foot feels when I go from a big old work boot down to a pair of really nice running shoes (that I don't run it btw - Mike does NOT run). That work boot feels good if I am smashing beer cans or something but if I want to dance around the house to Wham's "Careless Whisper" in my boxers and tee shirt I want the running shoes.... sorry for that visual there.

MM

User Info Menu

My favorite pedal is an inexpensive single chain pedal. I play mostly country and classic rock though.

User Info Menu

I think bearings, spring tension, and footboard angle have more to do with the feel of a pedal than single chain vs double chain.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

dmacc Guest

I play heel down only within certain circumstances. Heel up or heel down, I only like the feel of a strap pedal.

My favorite one today is the Yamaha FP8500B.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    I think bearings, spring tension, and footboard angle have more to do with the feel of a pedal than single chain vs double chain.
    So does anybody have double chain and matching single chain pedals to compare spring rates , etc.? If you swap springs is there a difference?

User Info Menu

I wonder if I can switch the springs between my Peace single chain pedal and my Pearl dual chain? I am gonna mess with them tonight - I also have a third pedal that I need to look at also - it is a Pearl like the Eliminators but a different model...

MM

User Info Menu

I found an older Pearl pedal that I have this morning while digging through gear. I am going to swap springs with my dual-chain eliminator this evening and see what happens - will keep you posted...

MM

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRoyale View Post
    I found an older Pearl pedal that I have this morning while digging through gear. I am going to swap springs with my dual-chain eliminator this evening and see what happens - will keep you posted...
    That would be great! We need more of this to clear up some myths.