Thread: Bass Beat

User Info Menu

Default Bass Beat

Why do so many drummers not worry about the proper bass beat when doing covers.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass Beat

I think it's due to "make it your own" type of thing? Unless the bass drum parts are a key signature piece, I'm locked with the bass player.

User Info Menu

90% of the time, I don't even think about the bass pattern. I play what I feel and it just happens". All I really think about is meshing with the bass guitar. I used to worry alot about how my bass sounded....because I never made much of a conscious effort to learn any specific bass patterns. The only exceptions being some different Blues shuffles. After listening to recordings of our band, I decided that I have a rather unique bass style (lots of syncopated off beats) but it always seems to work with the song. Compared to many of my drummer friends that play in other bands, I play LESS with my hands and MORE with my feet. It makes for a rather odd rythum, good or bad, but it's part of what gives us a unique sound. I decided its part of what makes up my identity as a drummer...so now I'm back to not worrying about it anymore, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I never even paid attention to the bass beat as written until recently (the last 3 years).

As far as pop/rock covers, sometimes it is necessary to play it as written, sometimes it just sounds better to play it as written.

But....99% of the time it doesn't matter to 99% of the people.

I find that I generally default to playing the kick on 1,2 and 5,6 in most stuff. Some songs (IMO) require the straight 1,2,3,4 which used to seem awkward and unnatural to me.

User Info Menu

Dunno. I've always tried to play as written.

User Info Menu

If you're not locked into the bass guitar (in some form or fashion), you're getting it wrong. You guys either need to be playing the same thing or rhythms that still work together like 2 pieces of a puzzle. When the bass guitar and bass drum are not locked in, it creates unwanted tension in the music and keeps it from feeling good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    If you're not locked into the bass guitar (in some form or fashion), you're getting it wrong. You guys either need to be playing the same thing or rhythms that still work together like 2 pieces of a puzzle. When the bass guitar and bass drum are not locked in, it creates unwanted tension in the music and keeps it from feeling good.
    Right. I've generally played with bass players that played their part as written. If we changed things up, we're on the same page. Great point Drummer.

User Info Menu

sometimes i can't tell where the bass is at due to the bass.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

On some recordings I have trouble hearing the bass drum and have to guess how it is being played.

User Info Menu

Back in the days of Specter, the bass player and I were like soul mates. One knew what the other was doing or going to do and all night long we'd just travel the music as one while the guitarists put all the pretty melodies and screaming leads over top.

Even a new run that just felt right in the song was picked up by the other player and we were always locked in. It was like nothing I've experienced since.

I had that somewhat with the bassist in the 80's band you saw video of. At that time we knew about the concept and worked to get there. With Specter it was natural and since we were young fresh musicians, we didn't really "get" what we were doing, at first. It just came naturally.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I cant always hear what the bass drum is being played on a song for me to learn it right.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Locking in with the bass player creates a better feel. Also the point of a drum cover isn't to play exactly what the original drummer is playing, it's to put your own musical spin and apply your own musical tastes to the song to make that cover your cover. One way to do that is to change up the bass patter within the contexts of the song to fit your style
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Back in the days of Specter, the bass player and I were like soul mates. One knew what the other was doing or going to do and all night long we'd just travel the music as one while the guitarists put all the pretty melodies and screaming leads over top.

Even a new run that just felt right in the song was picked up by the other player and we were always locked in. It was like nothing I've experienced since.

I had that somewhat with the bassist in the 80's band you saw video of. At that time we knew about the concept and worked to get there. With Specter it was natural and since we were young fresh musicians, we didn't really "get" what we were doing, at first. It just came naturally.
    I have the same scenario with my older brother. He plays bass guitar, and we've played together in several bands. It almost like playing with yourself....so to speak, LOL. In our current band he plays slide guitar, but for the last set, he switches to Bass. Everyone says that when that happens, we're a different band. The entire vibe changes and the energy level goes way up.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    Also the point of a drum cover isn't to play exactly what the original drummer is playing, it's to put your own musical spin and apply your own musical tastes to the song to make that cover your cover.
    I think that when you say cover, the player is expected to play it as it was written. If you want to instead put your own spin to a previously written song, you would then refer to the version as "playing along to" a song. Maybe I'm mistaken, but that's how I look at it.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I think "cover" simply means that someone else wrote/recorded it before you did.

The Beatles played lots of covers in their early days.

There are tribute bands and cover bands that strive to achieve 100% accuracy, but most people playing covers are just playing their versions.

User Info Menu

I think there is a huge difference between a purposeful arrangement of the original groove that while being different, still works within the context of the original vs. a lazy rhythm section who just plays something totally unrelated to the song. I hear a lot of that from some bar bands.