Thread: Beat of the Day Idea

User Info Menu

Default Beat of the Day Idea

All -

I have an idea but it is not fully formulated so bear with me. I'd like to see if we can get some of the forum's pros/experienced drummers to post a daily "Beat of the Day" for us newbies (and anyone who wants) to mimic. The idea is that a pro would lay down a simple beat and record themselves playing it for a minute or so - nothing long at all. The beat would consist of a single measure or a two bar phrase at the most. After the experienced drummer posts his or her video of the beat all of us could go to work learning it, posting our videos of us playing it, ideally before the end of that day. There would be no winners or losers, no grades, no prizes. As with any video posted the forum would be welcome to comment on any video posted - within the rules of the forum of course. We could add to the concept by also having us newbs post our own transcriptions - in a separate thread - so we would have for example:

Beat of the Day thread - used to post videos of us playing a beat

Beat of the Day transcriptions - used to post our transcriptions

I imagine there are better ways to accomplish what I am trying to accomplish here - and that is to create a way, via the forum, for newer drummers to compare themselves to experienced players and/or pros. I am open to suggestions as to how to best do this - if anyone thinks it is a good idea in the first place.

MM

User Info Menu

Default Re: Beat of the Day Idea

I think this is a great idea! Being one of the inexperienced drummers, I can't wait to see what the pros come up with....
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

I am down.. I may even post one even though I am not that good : )
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I just may post as well... but I cannot guarantee the quality of my video. Ugh. LOL
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

How about we do a drum solo track? Somebody record a few measures of drum solo at say 120 beats per minute and the others add a few measures of their drum solo to the end of it.

User Info Menu

i'd like to do it but my drums are in the band room most of the time and don't know if i'd be able to
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I won't be able to post any vids as I don't have any recording gear - I think I'm also 7 or 8 hours out of sinc with the US, but I'll be only too happy to attempt to play along at home. Great idea Mike, I'm sure lots of drumming novices (like me) will enjoy this one.

User Info Menu

I love this! Especially since the only beat I am really good at is the one that used to be in Mark's signature...(or maybe still is?)
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

User Info Menu

I think that is a fantastic idea! Certainly am up for it. And guys, don't worry whether you're good, not-so-good or whatever.....heck, I'm still learning after all these years, I'm just as keen to see who's got some great control, timing and so on. It will also be a chance for all of us to put a face to the names we chat to here.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Ok awesome responses! I like the idea of a fill thread also but for now will focus on the beat thing. There are some rough edges to the idea that I would like to smooth out - with your help. For clarity sake when I use the term PROS I mean the drummers donating the beat videos and when I say PLAYERS I mean the newbs and others who will be mimicking the beats.

How do we manage the posting of the videos by the pros? Could we have something like a "Pro of the Week" where one pro would post a new beat on say Mon, Wed and Friday? Or Tues and Thurs? Should we make "rules" up front about the beats or let each pro make their own beat rules? For example, rules that I had thought of are below ( and forgive some of my verbiage). Please feel free to add or subtract from the below ideas/rules:

For the PROS:

- The beat should consist of no more than a two measure phrase, with one measure beats being the standard. Please nothing over the bar line.

- The timekeeping can be transitioned from hats to ride and vice-versa. During the transition a one count 'fill' is permitted but it should not consist of anything more than 4 notes.

- Beats should be in 4/4 or common time.

- The beat should be played for a minimum of one minute and a maximum of three minutes.

- Permitted cymbals to use are crash, ride and hi hats, i.e. the most common cymbals for PLAYERS. No stacks, chinas, cowbells, etc etc. We want to try to sound as close to you as possible.

- Kicks, a.k.a. crashes, setups, etc. ARE allowed.

- No double bass please.

- If you are wondering whether or not you qualify as a PRO, you probably do not. If you are sure you are a PRO then you most likely are. :-)

- When you post your video it would be cool if you include a short explanation as to why you chose the beat and how we can be apply it. Also if you would like to tell us about your drumming history the PLAYERS will want to know this.

For the PLAYERS:

- The beat should be played note for note. This is not an "Improve the Pros Beats" contest :-)

- If you are not the PRO submitting the video you qualify as a PLAYER. When you post your video however please clearly state your level of playing experience. If you have posted as a PRO please do not post as a PLAYER.

- If you have a particular weakness you are aware of or you want the PRO to take notice of something, mention it when you post your video, along with your playing experience.

For both PROS and PLAYERS:

- Beat submissions can be videotaped or simply recorded audio. It is preferred that we film ourselves so the PLAYERS can watch the PROS techniques and so the PROS can watch the PLAYERS technique, but as seen in my most recent video, a camera assistant is not always available :-) We all trust that no one would "plagarize" another drummer and say it was them :-)

- Anyone is welcome to comment on a PLAYERS submissions as long as the comments strictly adhere to the forums policy regarding forum posting. PLEASE read the forum rules if you have ANY doubt about a post in the thread.

- This is NOT a contest. There will be no prizes, winners or losers. The idea behind the contest is to make Mike, er I mean, all of us newer players better drummers. In fact the experience will also help PROS as well.

Ok so tear those up and lets see if we can start this next week!

MM

User Info Menu

Wow. Tons of rules

all the best...

User Info Menu

hate the rules

good luck

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Guys guys guys! You misunderstood!!!!! Those were PROPOSED rules! I wanted feed back on them :-) I got the feedback....

NEW RULES:

We'll get someone with experience to post a beat for us and then we'll all try to play it.

:-)

MM
    Last edited by MikeRoyale; 07-18-2014 at 09:54 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRoyale View Post
    The idea behind the contest is to make Mike, er I mean, all of us newer players better drummers.

MM
    Yep...and BlueSky, since she hasn't hit a drum with a stick since January.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRoyale View Post
    NEW RULES:

We'll get someone with experience to post a beat for us and then we'll all try to play it.

MM
    Sounds good to me. But I don't think I'll be posting videos.
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

User Info Menu

How about keeping it really simple -

Maybe an experienced drummer prints out a two bar beat, like:

1st Bar

One - Crash and kick
    and - hat
    Two - Hat and snare
    and - hat
    Three - Kick and snare
    and - hat
    Four - Hat and snare
    and - hat

2nd bar

etc.

If beats contain 16ths on hat, snare or kick - fine. Also its ok to throw in ghost notes on kick and snare or accented snare shots - just write it as 'e' or 'and'. If its a triplet shuffle or jazz type beat then write it as 'and' 'uh' as appropriate. If anybody is fresh out of the gate they can always attempt to play at any tempo they feel comfortable with or just not attempt to accent or ghost if too challenging.

If any 'pro' wishes to post a vid instead of writing out the two bars then that's all good - personally I'm pretty crappy at 'groove recognition' so for me that would be a challenge. Similarly players can post a vid of their performance if they wish.

If more than one beat is posted on the same day - no biggie, I will just get to tie my arms and legs in knots more than once in the same day.

User Info Menu

All -

Marko138 has posted the first beat for us to try to learn and play. Please see the 'Drum Videos' section to listen to and watch Mark0138 play the beat. When you think you have it down pat post a video of you playing it.

Thanks Marko138!

MM

User Info Menu

I am gonna do something in 7/8 time... just to be a rebel. hahahaha
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    How about keeping it really simple -

Maybe an experienced drummer prints out a two bar beat, like:

1st Bar

One - Crash and kick
    and - hat
    Two - Hat and snare
    and - hat
    Three - Kick and snare
    and - hat
    Four - Hat and snare
    and - hat

2nd bar

etc.

If beats contain 16ths on hat, snare or kick - fine. Also its ok to throw in ghost notes on kick and snare or accented snare shots - just write it as 'e' or 'and'. If its a triplet shuffle or jazz type beat then write it as 'and' 'uh' as appropriate. If anybody is fresh out of the gate they can always attempt to play at any tempo they feel comfortable with or just not attempt to accent or ghost if too challenging.

If any 'pro' wishes to post a vid instead of writing out the two bars then that's all good - personally I'm pretty crappy at 'groove recognition' so for me that would be a challenge. Similarly players can post a vid of their performance if they wish.

If more than one beat is posted on the same day - no biggie, I will just get to tie my arms and legs in knots more than once in the same day.
    I like this CC -