Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bubinga! The wormy rotted kind.

User Info Menu

Default Bubinga! The wormy rotted kind.

After 50 or more builds under my belt I don't get overly excited anymore unless something really special happens. The time is here. Century Mill, my wood supply outlet got in a big load of Bubinga, which is an African species. One board must have been sitting in the dirt at the bottom of the pile and got a case of rot and worms. When wood is caught in the decay process at just the right moment, you get the effect called "spalting". This is the pen like lines in the wood. If you wait too long the wood begins to rot and you lose the integrity, so timing is everything.
    They quickly sold this board, probably for $500 or more, but they trimmed it I got bought the scrap cut offs. Just enough to make a 13X7 snare. This drum does not have a bad side, it is equally figured all the way around. There is one punky spot where the rot progressed a little too far, but it is small, about 1"X1/2", so I can blend it in with the worm holes. I have the outside turned to 12 7/8" and could not wait to show it off a bit. To give you an idea of rarity, the owner of the lumber yard said this was the only piece of Spalted Bubinga he has seen. Maybe due to the fact Africa is very dry.

I took the last 6 months off building drums, this will be my first in a while. And for any new members, here is one of my finished drums to give you an idea how this will progress.
    Last edited by signia fan; 07-17-2014 at 10:20 AM.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bubinga! The wormy rotted kind.

That's a gorgeous piece of wood. Can't wait to see the final result.

User Info Menu

Wow!!

Please keep this thread updated throughout the build... I love seeing the build process! I bet the final result will be stunning!
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

wow that is going to be awesome, and rare for that matter, a one of a kind drum
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

man that is going to be amazing looking. Never seen spalted anything on drums. only on guitars and i absolutely love them.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

signia you never cease to amaze me! Thanks for taking the time to share the pics.

User Info Menu

I've been missing your drum builds SF. It's always fun to see a craftsman produce something special.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Oh man its going to be awesome!!!!

User Info Menu

Agreed, this is going to be sweeeeeeeet.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I had to take break, had tax mess to fix, car and truck repairs, home renovations, and if I have drums in progress I have the bad habit of doing drum building and neglecting my responsibility. Only cure is to shut down production. Now I am caught up, time to build.

User Info Menu

That's some good looking wood. That one's going to be a beast.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

the wood looks nice , and that finished drum looks awesome!

User Info Menu

What an awesome snare thats going to turn out to be, and it must feel so good to stand back and say " I made that "

User Info Menu

A little update. Had to rebuild my steamer and put it someplace where it was not in the way. My shop is not a bad size, but if everything does not have a proper spot, any shop will clutter up to the point of being useless.
    So now it hangs over the stove out of the way when not being used.

Now I have the steam bent Matching Bubinga reinforcement rings inlayed into the shell and have flushed them with the inner shell. Nice and strong, and oh so nice.

My next step will be to fill the worm and rot holes in a way that I don't lose their visual character, but still allow a smooth gloss finish free of pits and holes.
    Last edited by signia fan; 08-04-2014 at 04:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Couple more views around the shell. A lot of snares built with highly figured wood often have a couple good sides that POP, and and a couple views of so so, also ran. This drum is so consistent all the way around.

User Info Menu

Gorgeous.. A true work of art, looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Gorgeous.. A true work of art, looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
    Me Too lol.

I have my fellow ghostnoters voicing their opinions on how to finish.
    I am leaning towards an epoxy fill of the holes and a polished high gloss clear coat.
    a few traditionalists are calling for a satin leave the holes oil finish

I want the holes, but i also want a shiny smooth top coat. So the epoxy with a little black should maintain the look of the cavernous holes.

User Info Menu

I don't know squat about wood finishing, but my first thought was this; fill the holes almost all the way up until they are only as deep as typical wood grains....using something like DAP Plastic Wood or something non-shrinking with a similar density as the wood (for sonic qualities). Then, use a grain filler slurry made from the sawdust and add a little dark tint to make the grain and figuring stand out. That should provide an ultra smooth surface. Finish with multiple coats of Tung oil (maybe tinted?) buffed to a satin luster.

Judging from your previous work, I have no doubt they will be phenomenal, no matter how you do it!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Sorry about that but lookin' good!

User Info Menu

Man, that is a wild looking drum. I can definitely see the appeal of an oil finish and leaving the holes and also a glossy finish. Both would look killer.

User Info Menu

Maybe you should leave them alone. They are part of the store
    and gonna be hard to make it not stand out more anyway I bet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Man, that is a wild looking drum. I can definitely see the appeal of an oil finish and leaving the holes and also a glossy finish. Both would look killer.
    See?

User Info Menu

How is it coming along any pics?
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Far out, that's gonna be one incredible drum.

User Info Menu

I'd suggest a black or white wrap for that drum to cover up all that nasty spalting.

I can't wait to see this thing finished, especially after the lacquer is applied.

What kind of lugs (color and shape) are you going to put on this?