Thread: studio monitors

User Info Menu

Default studio monitors

Question: Should I get a couple of studio monitors for my small recording studio to record some drum covers?

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: studio monitors

That depends. What is your way to hear the playback now. The idea of the monitors is to give you a good way to hear the most true playback, since you will be adjusting the mix, and maybe even adding compression and reverb, you need the truest sound as a reference to begin your tailoring. Keep in mind that as you start looking for studio monitors, the really good one don't come cheap.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

It depends on how good a sound you want.

I'm puzzled about monitors anyway because everybody uses different speakers and their hearing ability varies a lot. So how to mix for a wide range target audience like that?

User Info Menu

Please clarify. Studio monitors for the actual studio area or monitors for the control room? Thanks~

User Info Menu

I think late8 has a good question.

Regardless, I have a pair of KRK Rockit 8 near field powered monitors and a KRK 10s subwoofer that I use for the sound out of my Korg M3 Keyboard Workstation. I honestly cannot speak to the linearity of these speakers for the purpose of mixing, though they have gotten great reviews in the past. But I can tell you that they really kick some booty in the volume department, and are really clean, and are really reasonable, cost-wise. I would highly recommend them for either purpose.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    I think late8 has a good question.

Regardless, I have a pair of KRK Rockit 8 near field powered monitors and a KRK 10s subwoofer that I use for the sound out of my Korg M3 Keyboard Workstation. I honestly cannot speak to the linearity of these speakers for the purpose of mixing, though they have gotten great reviews in the past. But I can tell you that they really kick some booty in the volume department, and are really clean, and are really reasonable, cost-wise. I would highly recommend them for either purpose.
    KRK Rokits are very inaccurate with a very hyped low-end. It surprises me you need the sub with those, but since you're using a synth with it, I assume you're doing a lot of bass-heavy stuff...?

Granted, the 8" speakers are the closest to being flat out of the Rokit line, but still far from it. The Rokits are really just glorified consumer stereo speakers - they are quite heavily scooped in the mids, have a large bump in the low end and have a little excitement in the top end. Pretty much the exact opposite of what you want for mixing.

User Info Menu

krk are crap unless you know how to adjust your mix to suit ,which is a extra amount of unnecessary work

Yamaha h8's or 7's are way more neutral in sound and easy to adjust the amount of projection with the room config on the back of the speakers ..

i would suggest a good set of headphones first

User Info Menu

Any decent monitors or headphones will help. I actually like the krk's. Its all a matter or of what works best for you I suppose.

User Info Menu

I have a set of the Rokit-5 actives, I like them. Use them for computer speakers sometimes, too. Good lows, and still holding up over 4 years later. Plus I like the appearance of them, so it adds to my enjoyment level of use. Regardless of whether you have Behringers or ATC's, you are going to need to know how to properly use them. They are a tool, buying better ones will allow you do the task more easily, but it won't do the work for you.
    Last edited by Russ; 07-29-2014 at 03:14 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments