Thread: Drum Education in general

User Info Menu

Default Drum Education in general

Hello guys, I have been playing for a couple years now but i feel like l lack a lot of knowledge about everything drums besides playing them especially in reguards to equipment. I don't really know the parts of the drum, how to tune, what drummers are really talking about when they describe tone (warmth, dry, etc.) I was wondering, how did you guys learn this? Obviously there is the school of hard-knocks but i was hoping i could find a faster solution. Suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Education in general

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeatoopis View Post
    Hello guys, I have been playing for a couple years now but i feel like l lack a lot of knowledge about everything drums besides playing them especially in reguards to equipment. I don't really know the parts of the drum, how to tune, what drummers are really talking about when they describe tone (warmth, dry, etc.) I was wondering, how did you guys learn this? Obviously there is the school of hard-knocks but i was hoping i could find a faster solution. Suggestions?

If you've changed the heads on your drums, you know the parts of a drum. Tension rods, hoops, throw-offs, snares, lugs, etc. If you take care of your drums, and can do routine maintenance like clean the lugs when you change heads and check the bearing edges, you are OK.

Tuning is a personal preference, so tune to what sounds good to you.

As for all the terms, warm, dry, trashy, whatever. I've been at this for over 1/2 a century and I don't know what all that crap means, nor do I care. If someone tells me that they like the sound of my drums, that's all I care about.

User Info Menu

YouTube, DrumChat, Yahoo, Wiki, other drum chatting sites, some common sense, picking up stuff about equipment from cruising drum retail sites. School of hard knocks. Just takes time.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

There's literally a ton of information in this forum. A lot of members have taken it apart and broken it down, some even with diagrams that they took their time to put together. You just kinda have to sift through it. Like Wolvie said, it will take some time regardless. Check a lot of the stickied threads. Also, check out the "Drum Links" link at the top of the forum.

You could also try one of the Dummies books:

http://store.drumbum.com/skuB-78.html

User Info Menu

after 13 years of playing it just is accumulated. I would say I learn the most when researching stuff. Learn a lot when you look up actual building you get in more depth and i bet actually building drums increase that knowledge. Its knowledge that you gain over time not in one forum thread or one youtube video.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Lukeatoopis, don't forget the if you have tried to find an answer to something, and can't find it, you can always ask. That's what I did when I stumbled upon this site 7 years ago. The folks here have been great in sharing what they know, or in pointing you to where you need to go to find out.

We all started at the beginning, so we learned from someone else. Now we get the chance to pass it along.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I think the Drums For Dummies book is an excellent suggestion. All the info in one place...and you could go back and reference it when needed.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Stick around and read up Lukeatoopis is one suggestion.

User Info Menu

All of the above is great advice and recommended resources for you to use.

A great resource for tuning that I'd like to throw at you is Prof.Sound's Drum Tuning Bible. It's a great resource and best of all...it's FREE!

Here's the link: https://www.resotune.com/Drum%20tuning%20bible.pdf
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

dmacc Guest

I've been doing this for 37 years but know exactly how you feel. I remember being completely confused.

Fine suggestions already listed.

The Cymbal Book by Hugo Pinksterboer will teach you more about cymbals than you'll ever want to know.

Exposing yourself to reading the various Drum magazines will help as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmacc View Post

Exposing yourself to reading the various Drum magazines will help as well.
    Another great idea. I've learned a ton through the years from those magazines.

User Info Menu

A lot of really good suggestions already.

One thing to keep in mind is that some equipment has more than one name for the same piece of equipment:

High tom(s) = Rack tom(s)
    Bass drum = kick drum
    heads = skins (usually old skool/jazz folks refer to them as skins)
    etc.

User Info Menu

If there is a good local drum shop near you just go in and start talking to people. They love to chat, especially if you buy stuff now and then. If you live in Cleveland try Stebal's.

I've found that Sam Ash and Guitar Center are more variable in the quality of their sales guys so the kind of shops I'm talking about are not the chains, although you may certainly come across really knowledgeable and helpful people in those shops. Personally I've found the ones at the local GC better than the ones at the local SA.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

Drum lessons from a well qualified instructor will help too....