Thread: Possible Pearl Session trade for Sonor bop kit - opinions

User Info Menu

Default Possible Pearl Session trade for Sonor bop kit - opinions

Ok, folks. This is too crazy not to share.

So, I started a thread earlier about a certain Pearl Session series kit for an unbelievable price. Here are the pics:

So, I e-mail a buddy of mine who I work with regarding the kit. An hour or so later, he walks down the hall. He tells me that the kit is nice, but the guy who's selling it is a real jerk. I said, "Really? You know the guy?" He said, "Yeah, it's me."

We talk for a few minutes, and he's actually open to trading. So, I have my Sonor Bop Kit that I bought last year - brand new. Here is a picture:

Well, I'm not exactly stoked about the sound of the bop kit's basswood shells, and I feel like I'm playing a toy to be honest. I can't really get used to the smaller shell sizes. This one comes with maple/mahogany shells in more traditional sizes (22x16, 12x9 rack, 16x16 floor, 14 x 6.5 metal snare). The kit has been used, but not abused. My friend is simply scaling down quite a bit (he has a lot of kits), and he's basically selling it for what he has in it. He said it's in good shape, and all the heads are pretty much new.

I think my only reservation is my daughter (age 7, but soon to be 8) plays this kit, but she hasn't picked up the drum sticks in 6 months...at least. I'm sure she can grow into this kit if needs be. The only reason I got smaller sizes was for her.

If this were you, would you do the trade?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Possible Pearl Session trade for Sonor bop kit - opinions

Have you played the Session kit yet? If not, wait until you get a chance to test drive it...then compare the sound to your Sonor kit...then make the trade? Your Sonor kit is new, his Session kit is older than my '07 SBX kit I had.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Have you played the Session kit yet? If not, wait until you get a chance to test drive it...then compare the sound to your Sonor kit...then make the trade? Your Sonor kit is new, his Session kit is older than my '07 SBX kit I had.
    I'm thinking that we can do a tentative trade. I'm hopefully going to talk to him either this afternoon or tomorrow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    I'm thinking that we can do a tentative trade. I'm hopefully going to talk to him either this afternoon or tomorrow.
    Cool! Good luck...Your Sonor kit looks really nice man.

User Info Menu

Update: He said that we could trade for a week-long trial period.

Awesome. I'll let everyone know what I think.

User Info Menu

Awesome!! Ask him why no Optimounts for the rack toms..

User Info Menu

I like the idea of a tentative trade. Because it takes a while to get to know a drum kit.

User Info Menu

Awesome!! Ask him why no Optimounts for the rack toms..
    I may, but I'm not worried about it. If the drums sound good and they are keepers, I've already got plans for them.

I want to take the wrap off (and from what I've read, Pearl only does a strip of adhesion, not the full-on gluing), put some sort of vintage sparkle wrap on them, and then mount the high tom on a snare stand to make it look more like a vintage kit. I'll then seal the kick drum and make it "born-again virgin."

I just hope they sound good, but they've got to sound better than my bop kit.

User Info Menu

I may, but I'm not worried about it. If the drums sound good and they are keepers, I've already got plans for them.

I want to take the wrap off (and from what I've read, Pearl only does a strip of adhesion, not the full-on gluing), put some sort of vintage sparkle wrap on them, and then mount the high tom on a snare stand to make it look more like a vintage kit. I'll then seal the kick drum and make it "born-again virgin."

I just hope they sound good, but they've got to sound better than my bop kit.
    Porkpieguy...these really suck! If you're not going to keep them then I wouldn't sweat it, but if you are going to keep 'em, I'd hunt the Optimounts down!! In my humble opinion, the I.S.S tom holders choke off the top hoop by putting too much torque on the attachement points. Good luck on the test drive!!

My old Pearl ECX kit came with the I.S.S. tom holders. I swapped them out for the Optimounts and it made a huge difference in tone and resonanace.

Last edited by late8; 07-21-2014 at 04:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Porkpieguy...these really suck! If you're not going to keep them then I wouldn't sweat it, but if you are going to keep 'em, I'd hunt the Optimounts down!! In my humble opinion, the I.S.S tom holders choke off the top hoop by putting too much torque on the attachement points.

My old Pearl ECX kit came with the I.S.S. tom holders. I swapped them out for the Optimounts and it made a huge difference in tone and resonanace.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm 99% sure that the rack tom will end up on a snare stand if they are keepers, which I hope that they are.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads up! I'm 99% sure that the rack tom will end up on a snare stand if they are keepers, which I hope that they are.
    If you pull the trigger, I might have a couple of extra Optimounts that might fit the rack tom. You can have it for free. If you trade 'em, let me know...I ship them out to you. I have no use for them since I no longer play Pearl drums...

User Info Menu

If you pull the trigger, I might have a couple of extra Optimounts that might fit the rack tom. You can have it for free. If you trade 'em, let me know...I ship them out to you. I have no use for them since I no longer play Pearl drums...

You, my friend, are THE MAN! I'll let you know.

User Info Menu

You, my friend, are THE MAN! I'll let you know.
    Cool!! Good luck on the test drive!!

User Info Menu

The trade should go down tomorrow. Looks like I may have to forego mowing the yard tomorrow to play some drums!

User Info Menu

The trade should go down tomorrow. Looks like I may have to forego mowing the yard tomorrow to play some drums!
    What size is the rack tom?

User Info Menu

He told me 12x9.

User Info Menu

Nice!!!

User Info Menu

I use optimounts on my slingerland toms and they work great. They were the best choice because of the heavy weight problem of my toms. It worked out great because I simply plugged my holes with carrage bolts.(my drums are chrome wrap )

User Info Menu

Update: I was able to trade an old pre-amp that I've not used in a couple of years for a decent snare stand to mount the high tom on.

Can't wait to get these together tonight!

User Info Menu

Update: I was able to trade an old pre-amp that I've not used in a couple of years for a decent snare stand to mount the high tom on.

Can't wait to get these together tonight!
    Great option...snare stand for the high tom. I did the same set up with my Session kit too.

Here's the high tom with the OptiMount and stand. I found that the high tom mounted with the suspension mount sounded better and had more resosnance than the high tom mounted on the snare stand. I found the snare basket had a tendency to choke off the reso head if it was mounted too tightly.

Last edited by late8; 07-22-2014 at 02:41 PM.