Thread: Are all wraps created equal?

User Info Menu

Default Are all wraps created equal?

Hey folks. I just picked up my Pearl Sessions today!

I've been looking at wraps, and in order to do a sparkle or a glitter glass finish, it's going to cost between $250 - $300. BUT, I found a guy on EvilBay that sells sparkle wrap for $89, pre-cut to your specs, and enough for a 5-piece kit.

I've heard that almost all drum wraps come from basically the same factory, but I don't know for sure if this is the case.

So, tell me what you know about wrap and wrap quality, reviews, feedback.

Thanks!

----------

Warning: See this negative review about bum wrap company:

User Info Menu

Default Re: Are all wraps created equal?

Most definitely, not all are created equal. Some are thin just not as substantial as the better stuff. Will he provide a sample? I ran across a place on line called Bum Wrap that sells samples for $0.80. Their prices seem really reasonable overall, but I can't speak for the quality yet. They can also do custom digitally printed wraps using your artwork.

User Info Menu

I don't know for sure what seller your looking at, but I've read in other forums that the cheap wrap found on eBay is actually that soft vinyl upholstery...like used to cover bar stools and such. Either that, or the adhesive backed automotive grade vinyl. If you want real sparkle drum wrap, it's gonna cost.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Most definitely, not all are created equal. Some are thin just not as substantial as the better stuff. Will he provide a sample? I ran across a place on line called drum Bum Wrap that sells samples for $0.80. Their prices seem really reasonable overall, but I can't speak for the quality yet. They can also do custom digitally printed wraps using your artwork.
    He said the bum wraps are about as thick as a credit card but more flexible. All of the descriptions are the same.

If anyone has used or ordered from this company, or has reviews let me know!

User Info Menu

I'd look into these wraps. Pricey but likely the 'standard' in wraps?

glass

sparkle

Last edited by late8; 07-22-2014 at 10:44 AM.

User Info Menu

What seems to be getting more popular for wrapping drums are the vinyl wraps used on automobile exteriors... they seem more like a skin than a wrap... you can get sparkles in those too... or pretty much any customization you can imagine... they are WAY less expensive than traditional wrap... easily applied and I think (not sure) they are easily removed too. If you are wrapping for shell protection, this might not be the way to go. I like the idea that you wouldn't need 2 separate pieces to cover a 22 inch bass drum... like you will with a traditional wrap. Worth researching online a bit and looking at wrap reviews.
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

I used the traditional silver sparkle on an old Slingy snare.
    I looked into a broken glass wrap (because they are beautiful) but discovered they are thicker and more brittle...........not as easy to work with (and also more expensive).
    The fact that this was my first wrap job, and that my drum had very little room between shell and hoop made me choose to go with the traditional silver sparkle.
    Here are before and after photos :

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I used the traditional silver sparkle on an old Slingy snare.
    I looked into a broken glass wrap (because they are beautiful) but discovered they are thicker and more brittle...........not as easy to work with (and also more expensive).
    The fact that this was my first wrap job, and that my drum had very little room between shell and hoop made me choose to go with the traditional silver sparkle.
    First of all, good job on your wrap job!

Secondly, I'm really interested in this statement:

I looked into a broken glass wrap (because they are beautiful) but discovered they are thicker and more brittle.

Really? It seems to me like the sparkle and the broken glass would be about the same in terms of durability. Do you care to go into further detail?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I don't know for sure what seller your looking at, but I've read in other forums that the cheap wrap found on eBay is actually that soft vinyl upholstery...like used to cover bar stools and such. Either that, or the adhesive backed automotive grade vinyl. If you want real sparkle drum wrap, it's gonna cost.
    Just noticed that the seller mentioned something about there being a "canvas backing" to the wrap, so you are probably correct in assuming that it's probably upholstery. Just noticed feedback that says "it is like a material with rubber coating. think 1950's dinner booth."

I think I'll pass...
    Last edited by porkpieguy; 07-22-2014 at 11:51 AM.

User Info Menu

I bought a sample of the automotive wraps commonly available on eBay UK. The wrap was VERY thin - the same thickness as the backing paper. I did not use it - I was planning on wrapping a snare - I decided to sand and varnish instead.

Although this wrap is very cheap - I don't think it will offer much in the way of protection for your shells.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I bought a sample of the automotive wraps commonly available on eBay UK. The wrap was VERY thin - the same thickness as the backing paper. I did not use it - I was planning on wrapping a snare - I decided to sand and varnish instead.

Although this wrap is very cheap - I don't think it will offer much in the way of protection for your shells.
    The best way to use the vinyl wrap is to go right over an existing wrap....Which works excellent because its so thin! Basically, it's a cosmetic upgrade. It needs a very smooth, even surface to get good results. I wouldn't use it over bare wood. However, I bought a 10" Tom off eBay for my Premier kit. It had a red lacquer finish, and my drums are very dark Blue, so I wrapped the 10" Tom in black vinyl. It came out excellent. The vinyl is very tough and resistant to scrapes and scratches. Unless you hold the drum in your hands, you'd never know it was a vinyl wrap!
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Really? It seems to me like the sparkle and the broken glass would be about the same in terms of durability. Do you care to go into further detail?
    I used Precision Drums in New York for my wrap material.
    Here is an excerpt from their webpage....................

Please read the following before ordering wrap material:

Wrap colors and patterns may vary from one “batch” to another, as part of the manufacturers tolerance. If close matching of color or pattern is necessary, please be sure you request a sample swatch of our current wrap material.

Drums with a diameter larger than 16” will require more than one piece of wrap to cover the drum - creating two seams.

Pre-cut wraps are provided with 1/2” extra depth and 2” extra length unless otherwise requested by customer.

Glass glitter wraps are extremely brittle, and must be handled with extra care. Precision Drum Company will not take responsibility for any breakage while working with this material.

Some of the pearl wraps shrink slightly over time. This can result in the wrap seams lifting - a condition that can easily be repaired.

Wraps should not be exposed to long periods of direct sunlight. Dark colors like black gloss, black diamond pearl, and charcoal may bubble as a result.

Colors may become discontinued without notice.

When using a paint/finish remover like “Zipstrip” to remove old glue from drum shells, wait at least 24 hours before applying the new glue and wrap.

When recovering Mahogany, previously painted, stained or dyed shells in Antique White, White Pearl, Blue White Pearl, Continental, or Sky Blue Pearl, first apply one coat of sealer/primer to the shells and allow to dry thoroughly. This will prevent dyes and stains from coming through the wrap material. Once the sealer/primer is dry according to manufacturers specifications, proceed with the recovering project as normal.

Wraps should be adhered to drum shells using 3M 30-NF contact cement. You may be able to find it in your local hardware store, or purchase it from us. One quart will cover a five piece kit or more. Note: using any other adhesive products will void our results guarantee.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Hey porkpie I used the BumWrap. I only wrapped snares.. I used the woodgrain, I don't think they have sparkle wraps. Its not hard to use. Here's a pic of a snare I repaired and wrapped. Some of the woodgrain is beautiful.

User Info Menu

I have dealt with bum wrap and covered 2 drums just as a way to test the material. The stuff is slightly thinner than some of the high grade stuff and is basically laminated paper with whatever you want printed on it. They do custom designs but won't hold up as well as other wraps. Lumigraf is another place I contacted and received samples from. The product is thick and the designs are really unique, but they don't really do standard looking wraps. Personally I really like the designs, but others may not.

I also received samples from jammin sam and precision drum. Thick very stiff material that is what is on most major drums. Wide variety of sparkles , glitters etc.

The stuff on eBay is probably the thinnest of the bunch and while some of it looks nice it will not hold up as well as the others I am guessing.

If you're going to wrap some drums , I hope this helps. Check all those companies out and see what you like best. Good luck!

User Info Menu

This may be a little off topic, but I am confused by why so many drummers seem obsessed by the type of wood used in their shells, but have no problem covering them with contact cement and a thick layer of plastic---If I go to all the trouble to peel the wrap off I certainly wont be putting it back on---wood looks better anyway

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    This may be a little off topic, but I am confused by why so many drummers seem obsessed by the type of wood used in their shells, but have no problem covering them with contact cement and a thick layer of plastic---If I go to all the trouble to peel the wrap off I certainly wont be putting it back on---wood looks better anyway
    All ply shells are not created equal. "Finish grade" and "covered grade" are terms you will hear when buying shells. I've seen a DW bass drum with the wrap removed and the seam in the wood was on top of the drum. There's a reason they got wrapped in the first place. No one wraps Mapa burl or Birdseye maple. It's not the same as removing carpet and finding hardwood floors. Also, good woods like maple,birch,bubinga etc. still sound good after being wrapped.
    Last edited by SunDog; 07-27-2014 at 03:48 PM.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

What SunDog said. I'm not sure about newer stuff, but most of the older shells specifically used a lower grade mahogany for the outer ply if the shells were to be wrapped. It was not due to cost savings, but the more open grain did a better job of bonding to the glue.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    All ply shells are not created equal. "Finish grade" and "covered grade" are terms you will hear when buying shells. I've seen a DW bass drum with the wrap removed and the seam in the wood was on top of the drum. There's a reason they got wrapped in the first place. No one wraps Mapa burl or Birdseye maple. It's not the same as removing carpet and finding hardwood floors. Also, good woods like maple,birch,bubinga etc. still sound good after being wrapped.
    Great point here
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

There are many reasons someone might rewrap there drums, sometimes the old wrap is so damaged or in the case of the Premier snare I wrapped in the pic above, the previous owner hand painted it in black and it just looked horrible with the brush strokes and there is not much more you can do. here's a pic of the drum after sanding the high spots down.

User Info Menu

Bum Wrap is complete junk.

The guy buys it from an art supply store and then resells it for profit by labeling it drum wrap instead.

He also sells a self adhesive type, that if you ask anyone who tried it, doesn't hold up and leaves behind a real mess.

Also be careful, some guys are trying to pass off sparkle vinyl (like the stuff you wrap bar stools in) as drum wrap.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

...wood looks better anyway
    I think that some sets look pretty good, but I prefer a sparkle finish.

Beauty is in the eye, you know?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    No one wraps Mapa burl or Birdseye maple. It's not the same as removing carpet and finding hardwood floors.
    I could be wrong, but I don't think that DW makes shells from straight-up birdseye maple or Mapa burl. DW makes its shells the way they normally do, and then they apply a Birdseye maple or Mapa burl veneer or whatever veneer (it's like a really thin high-grade wood wrap).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    I could be wrong, but I don't think that DW makes shells from straight-up birdseye maple or Mapa burl. DW makes its shells the way they normally do, and then they apply a Birdseye maple or Mapa burl veneer or whatever veneer (it's like a really thin high-grade wood wrap).
    You are correct sir. I didn't mean for it to sound like that. The shells are formed the same way just the outer layer of the six,eight,or ten ply shell is exotic in stead of maple,birch,etc. My point was that they don't wrap over that stuff and often use a less aesthetically pleasing grain to be covered.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Delmar is still the industry standard that everyone is chasing, mostly because all the major drum companies get their wraps from them. I have used both Precision Drum and Slammin' Sam's wraps, and they are both great also.

The one to STAY AWAY from is Bum Wrap.

I was trying to match the newer Ludwig Psychedelic Red wrap on my kit, and I ordered a sample from Bum Wrap because they offered a cheap price. When the sample arrived I held it up against the real wrap from my Ludwig kit, and was shocked at how faded it looked. It looked like someone had put the real wrap on a cheap color office copier that was just about out of ink, then hit print. Then they put that paper under plastic and mailed it to me.

So I sent Bum Wrap an e-mail asking if this was their best effort, or could they maybe make the colors more vibrant? Four days went by with no response, so I sent another message to them asking why they don't answer their e-mails.

I got a message back telling me to "chill" and not get "bothered" about it. He told me my order was no big deal. Even a 15 year old kid at McDonalds knows not to insult the customers. But apparently these guys don't get that.

Their product was crap. Their customer service is even worse. And I suspect that if I had bought them for the cheaper price, the wrap would have faded even more over time, especially next to a real wrap, because it is only made on a copier. I can do that at home. Maybe that won't matter if you're covering a whole set, as it will all fade at the same time, but the side that gets the sun will quickly look a lot different than the back side.

Stay away from Bum Wrap!

--------------
    Negative Bum Wrap reviews / Complaints

Admin Note: Some people are referring to Bum Wrap company as "Drum Bum Wrap" but they are NOT affiliated with Drum Bum.