Thread: R.I.P. Ludwig Speed King

User Info Menu

Default R.I.P. Ludwig Speed King

Made since 1937 with a few short production stops... Due to a supplier no longer making critical parts, Ludwig has decided to discontinue the venerable Speed King pedal.

I owned a Speed King back in the late 70's.. when I was 17 and loved the pedal until I broke the footboard. I replaced it with a Tama/Camco that I played well into the 80's but I always loved the way the Speed King played "off the drum" and the fast doubles and triples seemed easier.

I eventually ran into a 70's Speed King in a pawn shop and it spent most of the past few decades in a box.. a box I seem to have missplaced in my several moves across the country ( and a divorce or two).

Of course when I heard they were being disco'd I quickly snapped one up... which dates from the same time as my original. A couple drops of super lube was all it needed on the hinges.. tower springs are great and it plays like I remember. But this pedal is going on display in the living room with the Gibsons,Fenders, and Marshalls... I'll take it down and play sometimes.

Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

Default Re: R.I.P. Ludwig Speed King

That sucks I played one in H.S. I did like it wish I bought two.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

I own a vintage 70's Speed King that I refurbished a couple of years ago. It's the only pedal that I feel good about. Been that way since 1969. Playing with anything else can be done, but it just dose not have the same feel as a Speed King. I was going to buy a new one, then found out that the bearings have been changed from steel races to plastic, actually causing a few problems with them freezing up.

After all the "panic" of them not being made, I would expect the price to remain at about what it is now, anywhere from $50.00 to $100.00,on average, depending on how good a shape it is in. But just in case, I'm going to start looking again. Never know when a great deal will come about.
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by veafer View Post
    I own a vintage 70's Speed King that I refurbished a couple of years ago. It's the only pedal that I feel good about. Been that way since 1969. Playing with anything else can be done, but it just dose not have the same feel as a Speed King.
    I've got 2, contemplating going the drumechanix, refurb route next. The man will clean, paint, replace the bearings, etc. for a reasonable fee.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Love my Speed King, got it with a vintage Ludwig Atlas hi-hat stand for $50 shipped to my door and haven't used another pedal since - it's not even squeaky!

User Info Menu

My only complaints with my SK are the hoop clamp and the separable base plate. I've figured out how to adapt the hoop clamp to my various kits (depth issue), but I don't care for the separable base plate. I play heel-up and fairly far forward on the foot board. The towers tend to rock fore-and-aft, which puts a lot of twist on the hoop. The fact that the clamp must be positioned way back on the hoop to avoid linkage contact with the head only intensifies the issue. I'm considering making a solid base plate to bolt the towers and heel bracket on to.

I wonder if a riser block would be a solution? That would allow the pedal to clamp firmly to the block and eliminate any twist on the hoop...
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 07-23-2014 at 01:25 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Don't ever throw it away -- a Speed King is always useful...............

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Actually, that looks more like the foot board from a hi-hat maybe? Doesn't look like the heel plate from a SK. Whatever it is, it's still awesome! I may do the same for my '62 Galaxie resto-rod.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I've been playing a Speed King since 1970 and have two of them. I love 'em. Sorry to hear they are going the way of all good things. I'll probably pick up a spare on eBay just in case.
    Thanks for the info!
    JOE

Seven piece vintage Ludwig kit (1971), Sky Blue Pearl, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 22
    Snare drums (all Ludwig): 1971 Supraphonic, 1969 SBP Classic, 1990s Blackrolite, 2012 6.5x 14 Black Magic
    Zildjian Cymbals - 21 ping, 20, 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14 HH, 10, 18 China, Wuhan 18 China
    Five piece Sonor All Maple 3005s: 12, 13, 16, 22, 5x 14 snare
    Roland TD4SX
    SPL Birch Bop Kit: 13, 8, 13, 18

User Info Menu

N2Bluz,
    if the beater and metal "strap" assembly is hitting your head, it may be because your model/version of the pedal is the one made for the deeper, Ludwig hoops. I have one of those too. The solution is to make a 1/4" spacer on the bottom of the pedal hoop clamp. I think I mentioned this before:
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ing#post514312

Let me know about adding a base plate, like drilling etc.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT

User Info Menu

Glad I own two of them. Nice pedal.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    N2Bluz,
    if the beater and metal "strap" assembly is hitting your head, it may be because your model/version of the pedal is the one made for the deeper, Ludwig hoops. I have one of those too. The solution is to make a 1/4" spacer on the bottom of the pedal hoop clamp. I think I mentioned this before:

Let me know about adding a base plate, like drilling etc.
    Yep, mine is made for the deeper hoops. I use a spacer like you said when its on the wood hoops of my Maxwin kit. When I do that, however, the clamp grabs the hoop pretty close to the edge. On the Export kit I just pieced together, I used a pair of old chrome metal hoops off of an old Remo kit. Those hoops are actually deeper and the SK fits them perfectly, depth wise...but I have to add a filler piece in the recessed groove so it will clamp tight enough.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Funny. I've never had a moments trouble connecting a SK to any drum.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Obviously N2Bluz has problems...kidding!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Obviously N2Bluz has problems...kidding!
    Oh yeah....most are age related....or due to a lack of intellect!
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    Out of curiosity, do you have the base casting with the long projections on the hoop cradle?
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you have the base casting with the long projections on the hoop cradle?
    Huh?!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Kay-gee,
    Check this thread about the 2 SK variations:

User Info Menu

What Ludwig should've done, upgrading instead of discontinuing the Speed King:

User Info Menu

Wow. I'm not sure which ones mine are. I haven't really owned that many different bass drums but they have worked just fine.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I'm looking everywhere for a speedking to refurbish
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

my Dads drummer has around 3 or 4 of them

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    My only complaints with my SK are the hoop clamp and the separable base plate. I've figured out how to adapt the hoop clamp to my various kits (depth issue), but I don't care for the separable base plate. I play heel-up and fairly far forward on the foot board. The towers tend to rock fore-and-aft, which puts a lot of twist on the hoop. The fact that the clamp must be positioned way back on the hoop to avoid linkage contact with the head only intensifies the issue. I'm considering making a solid base plate to bolt the towers and heel bracket on to.

I wonder if a riser block would be a solution? That would allow the pedal to clamp firmly to the block and eliminate any twist on the hoop...
    Ive found a solution to your problem: Dixson Bass Drum Lift - several major online music dealers carry it - - Look it up - Ive got one now that I use with my Pearl Demon Double pedal and I love it. It will work with the Speed King without any problems and will eliminate the "Tower Rocking" and will no longer put stress on your bass drum hoop.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!