Thread: bass pedal

User Info Menu

Default bass pedal

ok, how do you know which is the right amount of tension to have in the spring on a bass pedal? and also how long should you have the beater hard, eg does short mean faster and doea long mean louder, hope this makes sence lol,

User Info Menu

The less tense your bass pedal is, the faster it is. But it also produces a smaller sound. Play around with it and find out what you like best. I like it when it's quite tense because you get a lot of rebound out of that and you can use that to make huge continuous beats.
    Not sure what you mean with the beater, but if you mean how hard you hit the actual head, well, you hit it depending on how hard you're regularly playing and whether or not you want to accent it. Accents are hard on a bass drum though...
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

There's already a thread about tension if you look for it. I think it's all covered there.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    Accents are hard on a bass drum though...
    if you change the positioning of your foot on the pedal i.e. ----=pedal i=foot
    normal --i--
    gost note
    ---i- or i----
    hard acsents
    -i-i--
    it takes most of the guess work out of the amount of force needed to play the acsents. but be carefull when doing them fast. i open one of my bands songs with an acent roll that cycles though all three in a pattern vary quickly and with my pedals it tears up my feet. so be carefull not to do that. but i hope that helps.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

what i meant by adjusting the beater i meant, you know where the beater attaches to the pedal? the way you can make that longer or shorter, i dont mean change the angle of it, i mean change the length of it. hope that makes sense!

User Info Menu

Oh, for that, you want it to be spot on in the middle, so it hits the middle and gets the most punch.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

thanks very much everyone, my problems are solvd

User Info Menu

What kind of pedal are you using?

User Info Menu

A basix concept pedal, looks like this

http://www.basixpercussion.com/essen...als/index.html

User Info Menu

Do you play heel up or heel down?

User Info Menu

i have a basix pedal too. your the 1st one i know that has 1

User Info Menu

I play heel up, use a technique where i move up and down the pedal or across the top to play fast parts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    i have a basix pedal too. your the 1st one i know that has 1
    its a good pedal, really liked its strength and playability

User Info Menu

yeah its actually not a bad pedal your right.

User Info Menu

Your one of the few that have even heard of basix, no one else i spoke to has

User Info Menu

Okay, the little nut that you see at the base where the beater goes in, that can be loosened or tightened by your drum key. Once it's loose you can move it up and down to where you want, then tighten it back in. Hope that's what you were lookin for.

User Info Menu

No i knew i to changed it, i just wanted to know what was the right length to have it on or is there a difference?

User Info Menu

i think basix is startin to get popular.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mulla14 View Post
    I play heel up, use a technique where i move up and down the pedal or across the top to play fast parts.
    You mean like a fast double? Weckl is known for those. Another way to do it is a "heal toe" double but it's hard to get the same amount of power. Blessings.......