In that case, for 2014...

Gretsch - lots of mohogany choices, and a local guy works for them
    Ming - carbon fiber
    Canopus - carbon fiber
    Ludwig - ATLAS hardware
    Sound Percussion - wild card

User Info Menu

Default Re: Your top 5 favorite drum companies

Ludwig Best I have played and like being in there Family. Pearl Hardware some of the best Own the 2000 line. Dw for there Racks best in the business IMHO. Sabian Just cause I like and sided with the one brother when they were fighting lol. Did I say Ludwig. Now if I couldn't have Ludwig guess it would be Tama Starclassic B/B amazing sounding drums. Ok ok Nuff Said
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

-Ludwig
    -Mapex
    -Evans
    -Zildjian
    -Meinl

User Info Menu

In terms of perceived quality (and this is my personal perception, based on a number of factors), I would put them in this order (and this is referring to each manufacturer's flagship line)...

Sonor
    DW
    Yamaha
    Gretsch
    Ludwig

If money were no object, these would be the kits I would get. At the moment, I only own a DW Collector's.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I like the sound of that.. Ludwig's ATLAS hardware. Makes me think about the legend of the Greek Titans, original rulers of that nation. Atlas was among the most feared and strongest of them all. Actually the Atlantic Ocean is another name for "the sea of Atlas" and Atlantis is known for being "the island of Atlas". Ludwig really picked a good name to use for the marketing of this series! Almost makes me want to get a piece or two. ME HAVE ATLAS STAND NO ONE CAN STOP MY DRUMMING
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

That is easy
    Pearl Masters drums
    Pearl Hardware
    Pearl
    Pearl
    Pearl anything to me is the best but if I had a second set then it probably would be DW, Tama, Ludwig or Mapex hard decisions there lol.

User Info Menu

Eh, i've been an owner of Pearl's hardware as long as I can remember(over 12 years, among other brands) but I wouldn't say all of it is the best - but some of it is among that category and earns the reputation. For one thing, if purchased after a certain date - you get lifetime warranty on all of it. Second, they are the only people making a rack which makes it impossible for a tom to drop forward by spinning on the rack bar, because it's a square shape. Yamaha is another company making a rack with a bar that locks it's clamps in place, but it's not as affordable. You can get clamps that allow for round bar spinning, or you can opt to keep the stable ones that are guaranteed never to move.

On the other hand, some stuff like i.s.s. mounts are good ideas but executed poorly. The good part is that you can mount almost any size tom with them without creating additional space from tom to tom like you would with gibraltar's suspension mounts, but the bad part is it's hanging off the rim and if the tom is too big you'll inevitably end up with warped out of round rims at some point. This will create tuning problems, and additional costs of replacing your hoops when they bend. It's not the best design by them, but I could see what they were trying to accomplish by releasing the product.

Are they the best hardware maker? Nah, almost but not quite. I don't know of any one company that makes everything the way I want it, and that's the thing - it's really a different case for everyone. Maybe they like one thing done in a way another company is doing it, so you'd throw a Tama hi-hat in with a DW pedal and a Pearl rack. In a perfect world i'd call up Pearl and say how I want everything made and they'd do it, but until that day comes - i'll remain open minded and consider all brands before making a decision on any given purchase.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I like the sound of that.. Ludwig's ATLAS hardware. Makes me think about the legend of the Greek Titans, original rulers of that nation. Atlas was among the most feared and strongest of them all. Actually the Atlantic Ocean is another name for "the sea of Atlas" and Atlantis is known for being "the island of Atlas". Ludwig really picked a good name to use for the marketing of this series! Almost makes me want to get a piece or two. ME HAVE ATLAS STAND NO ONE CAN STOP MY DRUMMING
    For me I just question the ATLAS tom hardware on the keystones
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Sonic Assault Weapons
    I build my own drums, no need to favour any others.
    But, honourable mentions go to the companies I still feel at least try to maintain quality control before the stuff leaves the factory.
    Sonor and Pearl.
    I do like Craviotto, mostly for keeping his prices high and not falling into competing with the foreign slave labour outfits which is part of the reason most companies quality control has failed.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Pearl
    Ludwig
    Tama
    DW
    Zildjian
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Eh, i've been an owner of Pearl's hardware as long as I can remember(over 12 years, among other brands) but I wouldn't say all of it is the best - but some of it is among that category and earns the reputation. For one thing, if purchased after a certain date - you get lifetime warranty on all of it. Second, they are the only people making a rack which makes it impossible for a tom to drop forward by spinning on the rack bar, because it's a square shape. Yamaha is another company making a rack with a bar that locks it's clamps in place, but it's not as affordable. You can get clamps that allow for round bar spinning, or you can opt to keep the stable ones that are guaranteed never to move.

On the other hand, some stuff like i.s.s. mounts are good ideas but executed poorly. The good part is that you can mount almost any size tom with them without creating additional space from tom to tom like you would with gibraltar's suspension mounts, but the bad part is it's hanging off the rim and if the tom is too big you'll inevitably end up with warped out of round rims at some point. This will create tuning problems, and additional costs of replacing your hoops when they bend. It's not the best design by them, but I could see what they were trying to accomplish by releasing the product.

Are they the best hardware maker? Nah, almost but not quite. I don't know of any one company that makes everything the way I want it, and that's the thing - it's really a different case for everyone. Maybe they like one thing done in a way another company is doing it, so you'd throw a Tama hi-hat in with a DW pedal and a Pearl rack. In a perfect world i'd call up Pearl and say how I want everything made and they'd do it, but until that day comes - i'll remain open minded and consider all brands before making a decision on any given purchase.
    Russ I forgot to mention I do have the lifetime warranty on all my Pearl hardware and drums which is great to have. The mounting I use is Pearl Optimount which to me is the best. So I guess we all have our favorite brands and mine are and always be Pearls. Just like I only drive Toyotas over the other makes out there. Why because of the quality, resale value , service etc just like Pearl.

User Info Menu

Lots of really great companies already mentioned!

In no particular order (sort of):

Pork Pie custom kits
    DW (the pedals man!)
    Pearl
    Gretsch
    Brady snares

Drum accessory mentions
    Remo
    Pro Mark
    Audix drum mics
    Hardcase drum cases
    Shure
    Evans (in particular the original EMAD kick head)

User Info Menu

At the moment, these are my favorites:

Mapex
    Sonor
    Tama
    Premier
    Yamaha

I prefer Mapex at the moment for the good sounding, quality drums you get for a lower price than most others, as well as easy to use and sturdy hardware (in particular the Falcon hardware). Sonor high-end drums are something special though, if money were no subject I would definately own a big SQ2 kit. Tama I've always had a soft spot for, the Starclassic lineup, Starphonic snares and hardware, quality stuff all around. Played on a few Premier kits that sounded really nice when I started out playing drums, really nice kits back in the late 90's (Genista and Signia). The Premier Series looks nice, but never got to play one. And Yamaha has always served me well, don't know if their quality is as nice since they moved to China, but if it's about the same, I wouldn't mind owning a Yamaha kit later on. Easy to use hardware and quality drums there as well.

Never been into the custom drum makers myself, or the fascination for vintage drums. Might be more into it in my older years :p
    Last edited by Marius84; 08-04-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Pearl Masters BCX in Piano Black (birch), 22x18"x2/10x8"/12x9"/13x10"/14x14"/16x16"
    Snares: 14x6" Tama Starphonic Bronze, 13x5" Mapex Black Panther DL Cherry Bomb
    Paiste cymbals, Vic Firth sticks, Evans heads

User Info Menu

Pearl
    Tama
    DW
    Craviotto
    Promark
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Mapex
    Corder
    Pearl
    Ludwig
    Gibraltar

Peace and goodwill
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Favourites................

1 - Premier
    2 - Yamaha
    3 - Pearl
    4 - Mapex
    5 - Ludwig (Snares only)

The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Here are some of my favorites and why

Pork Pie - Bill is a super great guy to work with and his snare drums always catch my attention. I have 14 of his snares, three of his amazing drum thrones which to me are the top of the line, and one of his (in my opinion) best kits.
    DW Drums - DW pushes the boundaries of drum shells. If you've never watched any of their videos online about how they test grain direction and patterns and how they test for Timbre you need to watch it! I also love all of their hardware.
    Sonor My love for the German company Sonor will never die. I own a couple of Sonor kits. My very first kit ever was a Sonor. Again, watch the tour of the Sonor drum company and how they create their drums. Absolutely mind blowing with hardware for the toms and shells that are unmatched by anyone. Designed for sonic resonance. Amazing
    Gibraltar If ever an accessory, a part, any type of hardware, Gibraltar probably offers and makes it.
    Noble and Cooley They've been producing drums by hand since 1854 and they still to this day hand steam bend drums with some of the same original machinery! Incredible history and amazing drums.