Thread: Birch

User Info Menu

Default Birch

So, there are countless discussions about maple and mahogany considering the source of the wood...

Maple: North American vs Asian
    Mahogany: African vs Philippine

What about birch? Scandinavian vs ?

For the mid-range/low end birch kits, where is the birch sourced from?

Is there as big of a 'desired source' for birch as there is with Maple and Mahogany?
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

Default Re: Birch

When birch comes to mind, the finest versions of it that i've heard of is called Hokkaido Birch - used by Yamaha on a few of their upper level lines. It's still birch, but you can hear a bit of a difference in tone from the less expensive types. Also, if you wish to obtain birch drumwood it's done in sheet form, direct from Keller themselves. They are the most popular supplier of drum shells of various thicknesses, working with the kind of quality any good build requires. Various ply configurations in birch and maple, and even acrylics as well.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I don't think it's as picky of a wood as maple an mahogany. It is a eco friendly wood because it grows so well and so abundantly in comparison to Maple and Mahogany. It is one of the cheapest hardwoods because of the way it grows.

As far as I can find there isn't a "better" source of birch, just different ones. Which is why you don't typically see companies boasting about it being a specific type of birch.

Not like you see drums advertised as "100% North American Rock Maple" or "100% African Mahogany"
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info guys...

I started pondering this question after looking a bit at the new Yamaha Stage Custom drums. With the mods they have made to the 2014 model... shell sizes, shell thickness, new bearing edge cut with a bit more of a round over... plus the 'Absolute-like' lugs... I can't help but to keep looking at these. The limited few videos out there... they sound great... and you can't beat the price point.
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

I would imagine that birch from colder climates, where it grows slower, would be more desirable due to tighter grain structure. But I could be wrong.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Scandinavian Birch is the only one I hear advertised specifically. The Mahogany is kind of misleading. African is TRUE Mahogany. Phillipine Mahogany (Luan) is not real Mahogany. It's an Industry trade name that actually references multiple species of wood sourced from Indonesian rain forests. Yamaha advertised the Rock Tour as being Big Leaf Mahogany or "green" Mahogany. It's actually logged from replanted trees.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Great question David and helpful answers. I'm a big birch fan. The very first 100% birch shell pack I ever had the pleasure to play were the Pearl SBX Session kit. They cut through the mix very well.

Last edited by late8; 07-31-2014 at 09:21 AM.

User Info Menu

hmmmm... I dunno. I will say the mid-line kits ive heard sound just super, crush's chameleon, and taye's studio birch come to mind.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

I play 100% Birch. I have always loved the sound of birch. But still say the untrained ear will not know the difference.How low can you go lol. Its in the tuning young man the tuning
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

Play a birch Premier kit, love it.
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

WOW, I was just thinking the same exact thing about Beech wood...LOL..
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    WOW, I was just thinking the same exact thing about Beech wood...LOL..
    I've been quite interested in beech wood lately, what are your thoughts on it as a drum wood? I've heard stories about this species - is it truly as balanced across all frequencies and well rounded as it seems?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I've been quite interested in beech wood lately, what are your thoughts on it as a drum wood? I've heard stories about this species - is it truly as balanced across all frequencies and well rounded as it seems?
    Beech was and still is used to build high end drums. It was Sonor's go to wood for many years and is still used in a number of their German made kits. A friend has a set of Yamaha Beech Customs. They're great sounding drums.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Ah, just on high end drums then. Would you say it emphasizes lows, mids, or highs, or blends them all in a good balance? Where is beech grown and used?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Russ, I was not aware of that Birch Yamaha used, thank you for the knowledge.
    Scandinavian Birch may be used in line with the thinking mentioned of cold growth, tight growth rings. Which would not be much different than Canadian Birch I would think. I am waiting to get into building with this batch of spalted Birch I harvested.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

It truly is between Birch and Maple IMO, My Beech Sonor Limited edition sounds great and has a much wider tuning range than my Saturns. Really is no need for any moongel even with 1 ply clear amb. on top and bottom. I recently put coated amb over clear and it sounds fantastic. The clear amb. worked well but the kit was a little loud according to band mates but that may also be due to my caveman technique.

My guitar player (who plays drums as well of course) said it sounds much lower with coated 2-ply head on it and could not believe it when I showed him they were coated amb.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Ah, just on high end drums then. Would you say it emphasizes lows, mids, or highs, or blends them all in a good balance? Where is beech grown and used?
    I'd say that it's pretty well ballanced, like maple, but with the increased attack of birch. I have heard others describe it as maple on steroids.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    I have heard others describe it as maple on steroids.

well put thats a great analogy.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I'd say that it's pretty well ballanced, like maple, but with the increased attack of birch. I have heard others describe it as maple on steroids.
    You mean it enhances the sonic properties of maple?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

You mean it enhances the sonic properties of maple?
    Yeah, that's kind of what I'm getting at. It sounds alot like maple with a little something extra. I kind of get the impression that companies are trying to get a similar sound when they use hybrid shells.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I have not heard that of beech...but Purple Heart has definitely been described as maple on steroids.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by not him View Post
    I play 100% Birch. I have always loved the sound of birch. But still say the untrained ear will not know the difference.How low can you go lol. Its in the tuning young man the tuning