Thread: Buying an Electronic Kit

User Info Menu

Default Buying an Electronic Kit

So, I moved into an apartment and I do not know the first thing about electronic kits, I just know I need one if I want to keep drumming in this apartment. I got offered a roland td-5 drum module, or a alesis dm-5 drum module. Good deal or no? I don't know how these modules work seeing as they'll probably be separate from the brand/model of drums I actually buy.. So, besides that. What kit should I buy? Recommend me some, I know Roland and Yamaha are the top dogs (I think), so, could I get some recommendations on what should I get? I'm thinking when I get to the end of it I'll spend about a $1000.

edit;
    been looking at the Yamaha DTX450K
    Last edited by JimmyJonCricket; 08-02-2014 at 08:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buying an Electronic Kit

The lowest price I have seen on a (new) E-kit that I would consider a decent replacement for an A-kit is the Roland TD-15KV-S. The mesh heads feel much better than the rubber pads on the cheaper models, and it uses a standard hi-hat stand, and kick pedal (you must provide your own) they run $2500, but that's not too far above your max budget, and you already have pedals and hat stand
    Last edited by hippychip; 08-04-2014 at 09:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Is there a store near you where you can try out some ekits?

User Info Menu

Ive been using the Yamaha DTX-500K for over a year now and I love it. Yamaha now has the DTX-502 series and it has more features than my old 500K - and I play several gigs every month on mine and the kit sounds really good and of course, with using headphones, they are "quiet" so you wont be bothering the other tenants in the building.
    Just my honest opinion on the subject
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I agree with warren, the yamaha dtx500 series is really good, plus with your budget, you can buy a 3-zone cymbal (get the 15") and stand as well. You can see how mine as evolved in my pic

Simply put, the 500 is the best entry level, all the truly better ones are about 2x the price.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

First off, fine choice. Second, paying retail should ALWAYS be a last resort option. You know how good of a kit you can get used for that same budget? I've noticed over the years prices are starting to rise on a number of items, and there's also shipping to consider, both costs and risks of damage upon delivery. I suggest before you go for anything new you check out places that sell used gear, like craigslist, ebay, musicgoround, etc.. Or you can try the major retailer's sites' used/classifieds sections, cause man you just never know and you will save a bundle on something someone else had to clear out, but is still in good condition(this varies). If you don't see it there, THEN look for new. Sometimes you can even haggle the price down a little bit. Don't play their game, make them play yours.
    Last edited by Russ; 08-03-2014 at 08:07 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I have to disagree with Russ, I would not buy a used ekit unless I knew the person, they were a player who plays lighter sounds, or you get lucky and find one that's hardly been used.

the pads can get worn out, the triggers busted in places, things that you might not notice in a 5min test. i guess you could buy the module used, but you'd still have to buy the pads in this case so i doubt you'd really save money (buying individual units vs sets).

The good thing about edrums is you can buy them online, so go new, you'll spend more, but there's more security.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride

User Info Menu

There could be something wrong with anything you buy used, you know that going into things. Look it over before you buy, ask questions, you'll know if it's a deal or not. Heck i'm still able to get replacement parts for a set I bought 7 years ago, haven't needed them but it's nice to know the company backs the product like that. All my electronics have been purchased used, and i've yet to encounter an issue with them. Even if I did, it would be a cheap fix and a fun project. What can I say, I love to hunt the bargains.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I'm going to chime in and ask JimmyJon if the apartment is on the upper floor or the ground floor? If it's the upper floor, you'll have issues with the colaterial vibrations from the bass drum pad and possibly the hihat stand that will travel down the ceiling joists to the floor below.

Before you plunk down 1k for an ekit, I'd do a ton of reserach and find out which pads or mesh heads would give you the stealth you'll need to keep the peace with your neighbors. I would even include your new neighbors with your plans on buying an ekit and let them be in on the sound test to keep that good neighbor feeling between "you" and "them".

Also regarding going new or used, I would side with Russ and seek out used kits at the usual outlets. Why? You can save yourself money. I invested in some dated technology when it came to pulling the trigger on an ekit.

I knew I'd use it on a limited bases. I have no issues with neighbors or family members who complain about noise so I can play an acoustic kit any time and I was well aware that if I bought anything new today, it would be dated within a few years.

I bought an old used Yamaha DTXresssIII module ('04 release) and found some discontinued used Yamaha DTXpressIV pads all under $900 a few years ago. I already had a Gibraltar rack and a full PA system to use with the kit so that saved me money in the longrun.

If you're moving into the upper floor apartment, I'd suggest looking into making a tennis ball platform to isolate and dampen the vibrations from the kit. Here's a few pics to give you an idea what the platform would look like. Search the net and find more details if this is something that would interest you.

By using the tennis balls and two platforms, you can isolate the kit from the floor.

User Info Menu

So Russ any tips how to fix my HH pedal? I've posted this in the edrums section, but basically it doubles triggers due to rebound. I've followed the instructions the wonderful Late8 here gave, put washers under the bracket to make more space. It mostly works but only mostly, any ideas for a proper fix?
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride

User Info Menu

I haven't had issues with my real-hat pedal doing that yet, and it's not a real expensive item(it's Alesis though, went for the deal). Under pad settings there should be a gauge to adjust sensitivity, you'll want to lower that a bit while tapping it to test. On my module the sensitivity mode says 'mask' and goes in increments of 16/32/64/128. I keep it at 16 or 32. My trigger is under a mute pad mounted on top of my hi-hat stand but atop the top cymbal, hasn't doubled on me yet but sometimes it'll miss a stroke. Not enough for it to be a huge issue, barely noticeable during longer practices. If it ever truly starts becoming a huge occurence i'll go back to triggering the drums but leaving the cymbals acoustic. What's the overall condition of your wiring and instrument cables? Are any damaged?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Oh man, lots of help. I think I decided to move my budget up a little, I've landed on the Roland TD 11KV.

I don't think I'll have troubles with neighbors, the apartment complex I live in is huge, and the walls and floors seem very thick. The room I'll play in is carpeted too. Not worried about that, I'll just be using headphones with it as well. I'll try to look for used, but I'm worried about doing that because it's electric, there's a lot of things that could be wrong with it, wires, pads, etc.

I was also considering renting this electric kit for a month or so at Long and McQuade to see how I like it. Not sure though.
    Last edited by JimmyJonCricket; 08-05-2014 at 11:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJonCricket View Post
    Oh man, lots of help. I think I decided to move my budget up a little, I've landed on the Roland TD 11KV, more specifically this deal;
    http://www.kraftmusic.com/roland-td-...ls-bundle.html

I don't think I'll have troubles with neighbors, the apartment complex I live in is huge, and the walls and floors seem very thick. The room I'll play in is carpeted too. Not worried about that, I'll just be using headphones with it as well. I'll try to look for used, but I'm worried about doing that because it's electric, there's a lot of things that could be wrong with it, wires, pads, etc.

I was also considering renting this electric kit for a month or so at Long and McQuade to see how I like it. Not sure though.
    Renting seems like a really smart idea, just to make sure its all cool with everyone around ya..its not the kit making noise , its vibration transferring through the solid objects ( the concerte floors/walls) from your kit (mostly kick drum) to the neighbors...solid objects transfer sound better than air...

User Info Menu

oh ya, no commercial links!!!

User Info Menu

@ russ, im not the most techincal type, but when i opened it, nothing looked strange, I think i was just playing too hard on it (was doing double BD, and maybe got too enthusiastic!)
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    @ russ, im not the most techincal type, but when i opened it, nothing looked strange, I think i was just playing too hard on it (was doing double BD, and maybe got too enthusiastic!)
    Are you familar with the splash function on the hihat pedal. You can just tap the pedal to create a splash sound replicating the same results when you use the same technique on a regular hihat with real cymbals. I'm thinking that's what's triggering the unwanted sounds?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Renting seems like a really smart idea, just to make sure its all cool with everyone around ya..its not the kit making noise , its vibration transferring through the solid objects ( the concerte floors/walls) from your kit (mostly kick drum) to the neighbors...solid objects transfer sound better than air...
    Great advice. Rent the kit and test the 'waters'. Wiring conduits, fire blocking, pipes etc. transmit vibrations to the floor below. The ceiling joist on the bottom floor is typically the floor joist on the upper floor as pictured below.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Buying an Electronic Kit

Ok kids...gramps is back,,,yeah yeah yeah,,,health issues in tack,,,
    oxygen after da strokes ,,,a true pro & performing still...:
    Comment on ekit : Beware of used products !!!!!! Yeah i know ,,,
    i preached highly of how excited i was to get my roland spd11/k8
    kickpad kit (20 years old ) from hal blaine's nephew,,,heres what...
    Beware!!! Old stuff wears out.....2 of my sensors went out on the
    spd11,,,,example :playin the conga/bongo pads on jimmy buffet songs,,,,,,hit da pads ,,,,,& whoooomp,,,the jets ,,,of another pad
    setting went off,,,,another instance hit snare pad on regular kit,,,& ,,,,,nothing,,,,!!!!...good thing i have a qwik mind ,,,aux snare & acoustic cymbals ,,,,,,secondly it took,,,,two months .....yes....two months for field services to "import " sensors,,,back to lugging around more acoustics drums ,,,(hate it,,,) be careful of yer choices!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Alright so turns out it is a little loud. Neighbour below me came up and said it sounded like I was playing basketball. I only rented it so, I haven't lost out completely. Just not sure if I want to put the effort in to sound proof this or just return it.

User Info Menu

First of all, You made a great choice on the kit itself. The different in pads from kits like the DTX500 to the TD-11 is worth it if you can afford it, since they are in a different price range all together.

In terms of dampening sound, probably most of what your neighbor is hearing is the kick pedal. I have a DIY TD9 kit, but with the KD9 kick and it's loud.

Look online and you'll see that Roland makes some stuff to dampen that sound, stuff you put under the pedal, etc...

Another option is the KD7 or KT10. They don't hit a pad the way your current one does, so they are much quieter, particularly the KT10.

There are also sound minimizing carpets, etc... to absorb vibration.

I know it's just rented, but I wouldn't give up on the possibility of it working out just because of the sound without trying some stuff first.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJonCricket View Post
    Alright so turns out it is a little loud. Neighbour below me came up and said it sounded like I was playing basketball. I only rented it so, I haven't lost out completely. Just not sure if I want to put the effort in to sound proof this or just return it.
    Don't get too discouraged Jimmy. Here's what I'd do. Seek out your neighbors and sit down with them and see if you can work out some sort of schedule. If they work while you're sitting at home, find out what fits for the both of your needs. Keep the lines of communication open. If you feel like your neighbors aren't going to meet you "halfway", then your stuck.

User Info Menu

That idea about laying down a sheet of plywood - placing tennis balls on it and then placing another sheet of plywood on top of the tennis balls might surely fix the "sounds like you are playing basketball" problem . If you dont have room in your vehicle for a full sheet of plywood, have the lumber yard cut it in half for you...pretty easy to re-attach them together after you get them home, with a minimum of tools etc?
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!