Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drumline Movie

User Info Menu

Default Drumline Movie

Anyone else see this movie? I think it has a decent story and is cool enough to get some of the younger generation interested in playing drums. It has a certian flair about it that makes it appealing. Not a big Nick Cannon fan, but he did alright in it. Orlando Jones plays a good role too!
    I think the drummer should sit back there and play some drums, and never mind about the tunes. Just get up there and wail behind whoever is sitting up there playing the solo. And this is what is lacking, definitely lacking in music today. - Buddy Rich

User Info Menu

drum line the movie was crap. if you wanna see real drumlines do sit in the parking lot of a DCI show.
    -Chance S.
    -I Live My Life By Psalms 150:5

User Info Menu

I can't believe I still haven't seen that movie after all these years.

User Info Menu

Dude....See it.

User Info Menu

great movie!! but that one guy was right about DCI!! its amazing.. anyone that can should go and see it!!
    I've had it with your no talent, wannabe gangster ass! You wanna prove once and for all that I'm better than you? Strap up!--drumline

our drumline doesn't do skanks!!! so get out!! thanks... lol

you may try to look like me... but you ain't never gonna play like me-- drumline

User Info Menu

i enjoyed the movie the only complaint i have is that when the drummers are playing the frame rate is actually sped up...i dunno if anybody else noticed...myabe just cuz im a computer geek but they actually played everything slowly in order to get it right and then sped up the film...which is fine cuz there is noway u could teach a non drummer to play that at that speed that fast...so...

User Info Menu

No offense, but the movie sucked. It was terrible. Bad actors, bad story line, the whole deal about how he couldn't read music but could pick up on it immeditaley was just impossible.
    although i can't read music
    How many of you guys can?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lhebs0
    No offense, but the movie sucked. It was terrible. Bad actors, bad story line, the whole deal about how he couldn't read music but could pick up on it immeditaley was just impossible.
    although i can't read music
    How many of you guys can?
    Jimi Hendrix couldn't read music...wait...he's not a drummer. ;(

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Special K

That was just wrong!! LOL!!!

Hey but my brother was the captain of the drumline for one of the BIG universities, and he said the movie was junk...and if I am not mistaken, he has taken part in DCI or whatever you call, he has trophys and all that, I never got into it. But I will give all you drumline kids kuddos, you guys do a great job!!
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

I really liked the movie Drumline. I agree not a big nick cannon fan, but i thought he did good in this movie. But it is seriously impossible to make it that far without reading music.. Thats hard to beleive! How would he make it through all his band years?
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

I didn't care for the "fluff" around the drumming parts. I had tivo record it, then fast forwarded to the drumming. Those parts were entertaining!!!!!!!!!!
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Special K
    Sure Jimi Hendrix couldn't read music but if you go in to detail about him, whenever he went to smal concerts and stuff he would always ask the guitarists afterwards about reading music. He grew up pretty poor and so couldn't afford to learn, he wanted to but just couldn't.

User Info Menu

Post Story related the Drumline movie

If you saw the movie one of the techniques used is called backsticking.

The drummer who invented backsticking is John Dowlan. I took lessons from him back in the late sixties and just spoke to him recently.

He went to see the Drumline movie and the theater was full of young people, John is 80, and he said a lot of the kids were talking amongst themselves about the old guy watching the film.

If they only knew he was the guy who started backsticking as an exercise to strenghthen the left hand while he taught the Air Force Drum and Bugle Corps in the late fifties.

The Air Force Corps was the first to add backsticking to their show and since then just about every drum corps snare drummer has learned the technique.

Rich

User Info Menu

Personally, I really didn't like the movie. Yes, there are still lines out there that do perform this way, but I'd say 98% of the lines do not. There are some drummers that can't read music, but if you are a member of a drumline you will not make it to the collegiate level in a good or even decent drumline if you can not read music. That's all there is to it. Plus, what idiot came up with the idea that he could play on a drum and a computer would print it out. Not possible for it to be correct in any way. Personally, I cringe whenever someone tries to relate what I do/teach to what they saw in that movie.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumMajor
    If you saw the movie one of the techniques used is called backsticking.

The drummer who invented backsticking is John Dowlan. I took lessons from him back in the late sixties and just spoke to him recently.

He went to see the Drumline movie and the theater was full of young people, John is 80, and he said a lot of the kids were talking amongst themselves about the old guy watching the film.

If they only knew he was the guy who started backsticking as an exercise to strenghthen the left hand while he taught the Air Force Drum and Bugle Corps in the late fifties.

The Air Force Corps was the first to add backsticking to their show and since then just about every drum corps snare drummer has learned the technique.

Rich
    Great story Rich!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jkallash
    Plus, what idiot came up with the idea that he could play on a drum and a computer would print it out. Not possible for it to be correct in any way.

actually computers can do that....sorry to bust ur bubble...

User Info Menu

and remember people.....you have to take the movie for what it is...it's a holywood production....it's for entertainment only...that's it...it doesn't have to be acurate or even possible...think about it...

User Info Menu

Default Notation Software

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia
    actually computers can do that....sorry to bust ur bubble...
    Hey Utopia,

Do you know the titles of any software that does notation by playing into a computer.

I'd love to have some.

Rich

User Info Menu

not usre off hand i know they do exist though...i'll look into it for yah

User Info Menu

No, computers can't do that. There are too many variations with someone playing on a drum to make it anywhere near possible. Even the best will have tempo fluctuations, not to mention the difference in tones due to the surface itself, the sticks, and the difference between left and right hand strength.

User Info Menu

good movie if you dont read too much into it...u gotta sit back and enjoy what it offers

User Info Menu

Couldn't get past all the ghetto stuff. Want to see a great music movie? Three words: "School of Rock". The scene were Jack Black is listening to "the Immigrant Song" and does that demonic head snap thing...I said to myself, "Yes, someone who understands".

User Info Menu

lmao

User Info Menu

Default Drumline....

That movie was a sin against percussion.

They were playing semi-rudimentary pieces that a lot of decent high-schoolers can play, and all the hard stuff was filmed slower than you saw it.

In my drumline, nobody is allowed to mention the movie, or take any visuals or beats from it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbane
    That movie was a sin against percussion.
    Oh brother!

They were playing semi-rudimentary pieces that a lot of decent high-schoolers can play, and all the hard stuff was filmed slower than you saw it.
    So what, it's called entertainment. It happens everyday in Hollywood.

In my drumline, nobody is allowed to mention the movie, or take any visuals or beats from it.
    That's riduculous and juvenile. Whoever made that rule ought to be fired. I would tell my team to extract anything they could from anywhere. It's all about inspiration and learning.