Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone play with no wing nuts on top of their cymbal stands?

BackStreetDrums Guest

Default Re: Anyone play with no wing nuts on top of their cymbal stands?

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Am I missing something? What about the stand's screw digging into the hole where the cymbal's base is? The repeated impact from striking the cymbal would gradually drill through it, eventually cracking your cymbal from the center. I wouldn't risk no locking mechanism on anything I planned on keeping, personally. As inexpensive as they are to protect them for years and years, why would you risk it?
    Totally agree. I do not use wingnuts. I do use a felt for each cym to sit on. In lieu of nuts, I place another felt on top of the cym...all my metal stems have a covering of duct tape to help cushion to prevent keyholing from cymbals vibrate/move/swing against the metal. Never had lost a cymbal hitting the floor or keyholes...after 50 years of playing

User Info Menu

Also I use these under the bottom felt to reduce keyholing.

Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

I use those on all my cymbals too. They get chewed up over time and need to be replaced but it beats keyholing. I also use wing nuts on all my stands - slightly screwed down, very loose. Even if they never come into play and save a cymbal, I feel better with them on and don't even think of a pie coming off the stand.
    Gretsch Renown
    Ludwig Supraphonic
    Zildjian
    15”, 16”, 18” K Dark Thin
    16”, 18” K Sweet
    16" A Custom EFX
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    22” 60’s A Ride
    14" 50's Thin hats
    14” K Sweet hats

User Info Menu

I use all Pearl quik connect on mine. The plastic threw the middle protects cymbal and well Just the best I have used. plus I really like them
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

I like the plastic cymbal sleeves too like JohnnySticks posted. I've seen these in a couple different lengths too and prefer the longer as long as the wing nut will still fit on top. You can always trim off the top. In a pinch, I've used any hose, cut to length that'll fit into the felt and over the cymbal rod to prevent keyholing.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 08-08-2014 at 12:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    In a pinch, I've used any hose, cut to length that'll fit into the felt and over the cymbal rod to prevent keyholing.
    I have a length of plastic tubing from a hardware store in my 'first aid kit' for emergencies. Fits right on the stem and I can cut it to length.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

You can also cut up one of those cheap ball-point pens, like a Bic or Papermate. Perfect size.
    Gretsch Renown
    Ludwig Supraphonic
    Zildjian
    15”, 16”, 18” K Dark Thin
    16”, 18” K Sweet
    16" A Custom EFX
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    22” 60’s A Ride
    14" 50's Thin hats
    14” K Sweet hats

User Info Menu

Long long time ago, when Hecktor was a Pup, I thought it made for quick set up and tear down, so I didn't use top wing nuts. Some nights we'd play 3 gigs in a row, so everything was hurry up and run to the next stop. However, this practice came to an abrupt end one night when our second gig was an outdoor, back of a flat bed trailer (you know the drill) and the wind picked up to where my cymbals were moving to a beat of a different drummer! At one point my 20" ride was blowing and it was almost facing me FLAT! Well, the it happened, a big gust came up, pulled the cymbal up off the stand and flung forward out on the stage and 'CRASHED' beside our bass player! (I always wondered where Mick Jaggard got some of his moves!) At the risk of being killed by our bass player, I agreed to never do that again! LOL

User Info Menu

I actually use those plastic sleeves, felts and a wing nut BUT~!

I cut the top felt in half so it's smaller.
    This way the cymbal has more ability to move around.
    Yet it is secure on the stand cause I've seen a drummer hit with no wing nut and watched the cymbal come off the stand.

User Info Menu

Bottom line - there is no logical reason for not using top felts and wingnuts on cymbal stands. Like flat mounted cymbals, flat mounted toms, ride toms in snare baskets, it's all current style. (Except for not using wingnuts, which is current stupid!) In another year or so, it will all be changed for new current style.

And there's nothing wrong with that (except the wingnuts!). Style is style and makes for fun variety and change - and equipment sales! The more variation, the better.

Except no wingnuts - that's timelessly dumb.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Except no wingnuts - that's timelessly dumb.
    Agreed.

The other examples you list as current styles also have several good reasons not to copy.

Toms in snare basket: higher center of gravity leading to greater risk of tipping; greater weight in hardware bag; choking of resonance, which negatively affects both sound and health (that requires explanation, but another time, I've done so elsewhere)

Flat toms and cymbals: promote bad mechanics; needless wear and tear on sticks; crack cymbals

Experimentation is good, don't get me wrong, but when it comes to setting up equipment, nothing beats thoughtful analysis. Sometimes doing what another drummer does makes sense. Sometimes, it doesn't, no matter how famous they are or how good their playing may be.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Agreed.
    Flat toms and cymbals: promote bad mechanics; needless wear and tear on sticks; crack cymbals
    Someone's gonna have to break the news to Ginger Baker about the flat tom thing. It ain't gonna be me!

User Info Menu

I have flat toms :/

And someone better write Chris Coleman and Thomas Lang cause they're also doing it wrong then......

User Info Menu

Only on a ride that's dead horizontal, with a protector sleeve

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Agreed.

The other examples you list as current styles also have several good reasons not to copy.

Toms in snare basket: higher center of gravity leading to greater risk of tipping; greater weight in hardware bag; choking of resonance, which negatively affects both sound and health (that requires explanation, but another time, I've done so elsewhere)

Experimentation is good, don't get me wrong, but when it comes to setting up equipment, nothing beats thoughtful analysis. Sometimes doing what another drummer does makes sense. Sometimes, it doesn't, no matter how famous they are or how good their playing may be.
    Good point, B.

BUT . . . . I'll gladly admit to trying practically all these various styles over the last fifty years after having seen famous drummers using them. And, as I stated before, there nothing inherently wrong with any of the styles (except no wingnuts!). I tried my ride toms flat after seeing Ginger Baker doing it. Then I realized that Ginger sits waaaay high on the throne, so flat toms work for him. I sit low.

I used my cymbals flat after seeing Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa doing it. Then I realized that in the early days of drumset there was no such thing as a tilter on a cymbal stand, so Buddy & Gene had to do it that way, and kept the style probably out of habit.

I've heavily muffled my toms, used single headed drums, used monster kits, packed my BD with pillows . . . just name the trend and i've tried it. And it was all fun and very helpful in establishing my personal setup.

The ultimate sin? For a short time in the late '60s I used my crash cymbal without top felts or a wingnut. I lost them. And when the crash cymbal went flying off the stand, it cut a guitar cord in half. Dumb.

In short, I encourage various setups. Hey, we should even try one of those wacky CraigsList tom arrangements! Who knows?

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post

In short, I encourage various setups. Hey, we should even try one of those wacky CraigsList tom arrangements! Who knows?

GeeDeeEmm

I tried mounting my 13" tom this way to position it as a floor tom on my Pearl Forums. I wanted to try out positioning my 2 up, 1 down as a 1 up 2 down but I didn't have a tom clamp at the time to mount the 13" tom in a 'floor' position. It worked great and by pure coincidence positioned the 13" tom perfectly for me.

User Info Menu

In my defense I'm not saying any famous drummers are dumb, etc., for setting up in a particular manner.

What I am saying is that your kit is set to accommodate your body... and as accomplished as some musicians may be, that talent doesn't necessarily mean that the way they organize their workspace is the best for you... or even them, in some cases.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Since I've found TAMA quick locks for my cymbal stands I can't see using anything else or nothing at all. I would never trust my crash cymbals to just sit on a piece of felt and hope it stays. Plus, having something covering your cymbal stems preserves the integrity of your stick tips and possibly key holing your cymbals. Just sayin'
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Yeah the red and black Tama cymbal thingy is what I use.......

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Since I've found TAMA quick locks for my cymbal stands I can't see using anything else or nothing at all. I would never trust my crash cymbals to just sit on a piece of felt and hope it stays. Plus, having something covering your cymbal stems preserves the integrity of your stick tips and possibly key holing your cymbals. Just sayin'

I had VATER quick releases and loved those also.
    I like the Tama one's I'd like to pick some up and try them

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I tried mounting my 13" tom this way to position it as a floor tom on my Pearl Forums. I wanted to try out positioning my 2 up, 1 down as a 1 up 2 down but I didn't have a tom clamp at the time to mount the 13" tom in a 'floor' position. It worked great and by pure coincidence positioned the 13" tom perfectly for me.

See? There's a perfect example of solving a problem by daring to be different. Now, I can guarantee you that if your name was JoJo, your tom hanging method would be used by half of the drummers in the world within a month!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Not necessarily a wing nut but a retaining device of some kind. Always!

all the best...

User Info Menu

There is a very good local drummer here wh does not use anything but never sees to have a problem with it.

I have had a problem with wing nuts unscrewing and falling off so i bought a skull holder and a Vater holder which are both quick releases. I want to get more of them but just have not gotten around to it and I think the vater ones have been discontinued.

I actually met the guy who assisted with the patent on the vater/skull cymbal holder at a gig. He then gave me a few extra vater holders but they do not work that well and he said he sold the patent after they moved the manuf. to china. I notice they work much better on the thicker 8mm stems not so much on the 6mm stems. Maybe they come in different sizes.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by MDK; 11-07-2015 at 06:33 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

To me, the no nut on top thing is just a fashion thing. I tried it this morning & not one single bit of difference.

User Info Menu

These are the wing nuts I have been using for years and love them.