Thread: Does anyone here incorporate electronics into their acoustic kit?

User Info Menu

Default Does anyone here incorporate electronics into their acoustic kit?

I currently use a TM-2 to trigger my kick and snare for sound layering. My current setup is miced and I listen through sound iso headphones. I enjoy being able to add a tamborine to my kick or snare, or just change my kick sound altogether depending on my mood or what music im playing... I was considering getting expanding to add some software so i could make my own rhythms and add in drums to it..

do you use any non-acoustic pieces on your set?
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Does anyone here incorporate electronics into their acoustic kit?

you betcha! been doing it off and on for a long time.

User Info Menu

My kit can switch between acoustic and electronic in no time at all. Although, I have been wanting to do the thing where you keep acoustic the way it is and have electronic pieces scattered throughout, for more variety.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Although, I have been wanting to do the thing where you keep acoustic the way it is and have electronic pieces scattered throughout, for more variety.
    I'd like to do this as well.

User Info Menu

I use an Alesis Samplepad as well as acoustic drums...has some stock sounds, has an SD card so i can create my own samples.... 4 pads on it, external kick input as well, midi...not bad...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    you betcha! been doing it off and on for a long time.
    +1............just to trigger handclaps, bells, etc

User Info Menu

Integrated a Roland HDP-10 Handsonic with the recently released Roland KT-10 kick trigger pedal into my otherwise acoustic set-up. Just adds only a couple of extra minutes to the rest of the set up time.

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I use an SPD SX for really heavy bass hits and claps and general sample triggering. I only use it sparingly, though, in appropriate places in some songs. It really works well with my bass player when he uses his Hot Hand. We can get this live dubstep kind of thing going on.
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple
    Tama Starclassic Performer

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles
    Oregon Crusaders (DCI) 09 - bass 4
    OC Indoor (WGI) '10 - Snare 3rd place PIO
    OC Indoor (WGI) '11 - Snare PIW FINALIST!
    University of Oregon marching band '09 '10 '11 - Snare

User Info Menu

I've been using a Alesis DM10 for mostly kick triggering live, but just recently got a Roland TM-2 instead. Much more handy in every way, and easier to add my own samples with a SD card slot. Thinking about getting an additional sidebar, to attach to the snare or tom, to play around with some other sounds as well.

Pearl Masters BCX in Piano Black (birch), 22x18"x2/10x8"/12x9"/13x10"/14x14"/16x16"
    Snares: 14x6" Tama Starphonic Bronze, 13x5" Mapex Black Panther DL Cherry Bomb
    Paiste cymbals, Vic Firth sticks, Evans heads

User Info Menu

I play a lot of extreme metal so I have a Roland TD-6 and RT-10K kick trigger(s)........haven't used them much lately but those Roland's are the best kick triggers on the market imo

User Info Menu

My latest work in progress.
    PROUD TO BE ENDORSED BY DUALLIST PEDALS
    Drums: Phil Collins Pearl DLX | Pink Floyd DW Exotic Bird's Eye | Natal Bubinga Custom Fusion | Cymbals: DIRIL & UFIPeDrums: 2Box DrumIt 5
    BACK BEATING DRUMMING BLOG ||| PINK FLOYD DW KIT ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT
    www.graham-collins.com/drummer ||| www.pinkfloyddrums.com ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cuban View Post
    My latest work in progress.
    Looks like it would be fun to play

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marius84 View Post
    I've been using a Alesis DM10 for mostly kick triggering live, but just recently got a Roland TM-2 instead. Much more handy in every way, and easier to add my own samples with a SD card slot. Thinking about getting an additional sidebar, to attach to the snare or tom, to play around with some other sounds as well.
    keep in mind that the bar trigger is actually a stereo connection.. the second trigger is used to like... i think read false input so that it doesnt trigger accidentally. So putting this on the snare rim only utilizing a single trigger will cause a lot of mistriggering. However you can split the cable and use it as 1 trigger if you want, but i'd throw it on a stand instead.
    Last edited by SpatzST; 08-09-2014 at 01:20 AM.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

I don't have anything but a octo pad would be cool or just one electric kit pad that when hit is a really deep heart hitting boom. Also I have an idea for triggers on drums where if you hit the drum it will make a flash of light. So basically the drums control the light show. so for example if you where to do 16th notes on the snare and the snare one was connected to a white strobe light kinda deal it would strobe with the snare or when your just hitting on 1 and 3 when playing 4/4 it would do a flash.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Yes, yes I do. All Roland stuff. I have three pads, two kick pads, a hi-hat pedal, a snare trigger on the secondary snare, and tom triggers on my 14" and 16". Mostly used for special effects sounds. All running through a TD-20 hooked to Apple Mainstage. I really enjoy having the options available to me mixed in with the acoustic kit.

My kit: OCDP Custom drums, Zildjian cymbals, Tama hardware, Evans heads, Pro-Mark drumsticks, Roland electronics, LP aux percussion, Roc-N-Soc throne, Shure mics

User Info Menu

What is a "DUALLIST" pedal? Two beaters, 1 pedal? How does it work
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

My most recent attempt: