Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cancer

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cancer

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    What I am asking is what was the earliest sign that you had cancer. What prompted you to see the doctor. Thinking back, was there an earlier symptom that you might have noticed?
    I had small growth above my upper lip. I got it checked out and was told it was nothing to worry about. So since I didn't have Heath insurance at the time I let it be and grew a gotee to cover it up. Years later I was shaving and discovered a lump on the side of my neck. Got it checked out. At that time this new Doctor also checked out the thing above my lip, both were cancer. It came from the growth above my lip and traveled go my lymph nodes in my neck. Had it not been caught when it was it would have spread throughout my entire body and I wouldn't be here now.

They quickly rushed me in for a full body scan to make sure it had not spread. Then immediately I to surgery for a radical neck dissection in which 18 lymph nodes were removed. They also took one saliva gland and 40% of my upper lip.
    Then the radiation treatment started once my surgery scars healed up enough.

So there was really nothing more I could do. I had the growth checked out and was told it was nothing,I'm sure at the time that was probably the case, but it did eventually develope into cancer. Because I had no health insurance at the time I never got it checked out again. I got lucky.

User Info Menu

I am gonna make this short and sweet. CANNIBIS OIL will cure just about anything. Believe it or not that is up to you. You will never hear this from AMA or FDA. Read up on it. nough said.

User Info Menu

Initially what kind of doctor to you see? Is a lump or rash on your skin something to show a general practitioner, or dermatologist or oncologist or some other kind of doctor?

User Info Menu

I know a lady, stubborn old Hungarian, Rosie. She owns the grand River hotel in Cambridge. She got some form of cancer and went crazy on a garlic diet, to this day she reeks of garlic, but she is healthy as a horse. She is about 70 I guess and is also the bars bouncer.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

I lost my dad, two grandparents (my dad's side) an uncle, three aunts, and both of my bulldogs to cancer. My friends on Drumchat are fighting it. There's not a day that goes by without thinking about it.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I am gonna make this short and sweet. CANNIBIS OIL will cure just about anything. Believe it or not that is up to you. You will never hear this from AMA or FDA. Read up on it. nough said.
    I'm not buying that. While I do believe that it has legitimate and very real medical uses in some cases, it's not going to keep your cells from going haywire or make them go back to normal when they do.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    I know a lady, stubborn old Hungarian, Rosie. She owns the grand River hotel in Cambridge. She got some form of cancer and went crazy on a garlic diet, to this day she reeks of garlic, but she is healthy as a horse. She is about 70 I guess and is also the bars bouncer.
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    I'm not buying that. While I do believe that it has legitimate and very real medical uses in some cases, it's not going to keep your cells from going haywire or make them go back to normal when they do.

I rule nothing out.

Who would have thought that you would get a antibiotic called penicillin from a mould. It's more complicated than that, but that's where it started.

At the same time, who would have thought you could cure polio by giving people polio, albeit a weakened form of it, and it's way more complicated than that but, again, that's where it started.

There is a cure for cancer out there. The trick, as it always is, is to find it.

User Info Menu

Definitely wasn't trying to imply there is a vast conspiracy................just seems like more could be done..............but I am, in no way, intelligent on this subject

I just know that cancer sucks and wanted to support the website if we could.

It is probably due to the fact that I'm getting older, but it seems more and more people I know are getting diagnosed with it.

User Info Menu

Can you cancer guys tell us, is there anything that you could have done differently early on to stop the illness? I've never had cancer, so I don't know what to do at all.
    I don't smoke. Never have. No history of cancer in my family, either. Get checked regularly. Both of my cancers were discovered quite by accident and if they hadn't been discovered when they were I would probably be a lot worse off. It's all a crap shoot.

User Info Menu

Are you seriously promoting marijuana in here?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

What I am asking is what was the earliest sign that you had cancer. What prompted you to see the doctor. Thinking back, was there an earlier symptom that you might have noticed?
    With both my sister and my husband, they noticed a lump on their necks - it a common place for Hodgkin Lymphoma to start. My sister was military, so they sent her for scans quickly. My husband went to our family doctor who sent him for scans, but they kept being denied.
    Once Jason saw an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor, the scans were approved for that afternoon.

My sister was stage one when she was diagnosed. Jason was stage three.

They both said they had some weight loss, and were unusually tired. Jason also started itching from the inside, the lump and the itching caused him to ask "Dr. Google" what was going on. The internet told him to see a doctor.
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
    With both my sister and my husband, they noticed a lump on their necks - it a common place for Hodgkin Lymphoma to start. My sister was military, so they sent her for scans quickly. My husband went to our family doctor who sent him for scans, but they kept being denied.
    Once Jason saw an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor, the scans were approved for that afternoon.

My sister was stage one when she was diagnosed. Jason was stage three.

They both said they had some weight loss, and were unusually tired. Jason also started itching from the inside, the lump and the itching caused him to ask "Dr. Google" what was going on. The internet told him to see a doctor.

BlueSky.................haven't seen you on here for a while.................hopefully your husband is doing better...................my prayers for you and your family.

On a lighter note, how's the drumming?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    BlueSky.................haven't seen you on here for a while.................hopefully your husband is doing better...................my prayers for you and your family.

On a lighter note, how's the drumming?
    Jason is good, thanks for asking. We went to Mayp last week for the first round of tests. His PET scan showed some activity in the lymph nodes in his neck, but the doctor want to rule out a normal lymph reaction to a possible infection first.
    The good news is that we will be able to make the 3 Doors Down concert that I gave him tickets to for his birthday.

Drumming, not so much, and because of cancer. between Jason and my dad, I haven't been home much, and when I have been...well, I just haven't been in the right frame of mind.
    My dad was admitted to hospice the first part of last week. At first they told us "months" but then it was "days". I lost him on Wednesday.
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

User Info Menu

I'm so sorry, Erin. You have been through so much and I feel so bad for you.

Man, you need to catch a break! I'm praying that things will start looking up for you and your family soon. I'm sure everyone here feels the same way.

OK everyone, start sending positive vibes towards Erin and her family!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Jason is good, thanks for asking. We went to Mayp last week for the first round of tests. His PET scan showed some activity in the lymph nodes in his neck, but the doctor want to rule out a normal lymph reaction to a possible infection first.
    The good news is that we will be able to make the 3 Doors Down concert that I gave him tickets to for his birthday.

Drumming, not so much, and because of cancer. between Jason and my dad, I haven't been home much, and when I have been...well, I just haven't been in the right frame of mind.
    My dad was admitted to hospice the first part of last week. At first they told us "months" but then it was "days". I lost him on Wednesday.
    I'm so sorry Erin......................My thoughts and prayers for you and yours.
    Last edited by longgun; 08-15-2014 at 02:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Erin,

Sorry about your dad but at least he didn't linger. Good to hear the news about Jason. Hang in there.

User Info Menu

There's not much 1 can say except I'm sorry for your loss and my thoughts are with you and your family.

User Info Menu

This is something I'm going through right now. I was diagnosed with colon cancer June of this year and I'm 4 days post-surgery. I'll have 3 weeks of recovery and then have a follow up to see if I'm clear, or need to start chemo treatments. As far as companies "not wanting to cure cancer" and treatment being such big business. Let me tell you my experience. I saw my family doctor because I was having some bothersome stomach issues, he booked me for a colonoscopy at a private clinic, I had that completed and a diagnosis a week later. A week after that a referral and consult with my surgeon. A week later was a post-op consult and 2 days later a CT scan. 2 weeks later surgery. I was 5 weeks from original doctors appointment to surgery, and my total bill, ZERO! Treatment I'm sure wasn't cheap and was billed to my health insurance. Knowing how insurance companies are, I would bet if there were a way to speed up a cure for cancer and rid them of the costs, they would be pressing the medical and research communities to get it done. They have already made pretty good progress with certain cancers, especially colon cancer. The survivability rates have improved greatly and continue to. Just my prospective and opinion.
    ||Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~Confucius||

Pearl Masters Custom - Emerald Mist with gold hardware 12/13/16/22

PDP LX - Cherry Fade
    8/10/12/14/16/22

Zildjian A Custom 16/18/20 1970's 14" New Beat hats
    Sabian 16" Ozone crash

Roland TD-3 and TD-10 A to E Kit.

User Info Menu

Best to you, Linchpin.

User Info Menu

Doesn't this just break your heart:

http://treasure.craigslist.org/muc/4773834463.html

"can i play ur drums please? i have kicked for 35 yrs. played it all, everywhere. i have experience. but, i also have cancer. diagnosed a yr ago its been a brutal battle. but i am still alive. i want to play. selling my pearl masters series over a yr ago, i have no drums and just want to kick a little before i can not anymore."

User Info Menu

Doesn't this just break your heart:

http://treasure.craigslist.org/muc/4773834463.html

"can i play ur drums please? i have kicked for 35 yrs. played it all, everywhere. i have experience. but, i also have cancer. diagnosed a yr ago its been a brutal battle. but i am still alive. i want to play. selling my pearl masters series over a yr ago, i have no drums and just want to kick a little before i can not anymore."
    Been there. I had to sell the two best kits I've ever owned to help pay for my treatment. Went without a kit for a little over a year. I'm still pissed about that, but I'm alive.

User Info Menu

17 operations and Im just happy to wake up mornings. You ask what you can do avoid second hand smoke,wear sun screen,avoid diet pops,dont use sweetners,dont live near hydro fields. The list is long.One of the best things is eat lots of tomatos. Use local bee keepers honey and and just try to enjoy life.
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

Never had any personal dealings with this disease, but I'm quite sure that it will be a heart attack that takes me out.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Guys. I am a physician and deal with diagnosing, prognosis and follow up of cancer treatment. To say "They don't want a cure " is not reality. Tell me the histology and pathology of the cancer subtype per cell involved and then I can give you hopefully a treatment to cure or slow the progression. The rub is no cancer is the same ( (based on the cell type and the type of mutation of the DNA) and and the same types of cancer respond differently to treatment. Therefore a silver bullet is beyond difficult to come up with.

So lets start by definition. What is cancer? An uncontrolled division of cells in the body. Now, why does this occur? Usually there is a frameshift or point shift mutation in the DNA that controls the said division of cells of a certain line of cells. Now, where this occurs is specific to certain people based on genetics and external factors i.e. smoking, sun exposure, certain foods, etc. Now, we as humans genetically are designed to live to about 40-50 years and we are living long beyond what the human body DNA coding is designed for thanks to human advances in medicine. At this point repairing certain areas of said DNA is not within the scope of human knowledge. Now it may be in our scope when our grandkids are adults but will not happen in our lifetimes I promise you. Big Pharm is searching though as who ever figures it out will be rich beyond human comprehension and Govt and ins would save untwords amount of cash.

So we are left with what will work in prevention, diagnosis, and treatment based on the scope of what modern medicine can get to. Funding helps with research and believe me with health care going into the toilet financially and with access shriveling up, I can guarantee you we are probably at the apex for a while.

Now cancer lines change just like bacteria or a virus. The treatment that works for the majority cells kills those cancer cells however there maybe .1% cells left that were not affected by the initial treatment so those .1% cells continue to reproduce and the recurrence therefore does not respond to initial treatment. This is the tough aspect of cancer.

So you can see neoplasm is multifactoral and researchers and physicians are doing everything in our power to stop it.
    Last edited by nucjd; 12-07-2014 at 07:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Guys. I am a physician and deal with diagnosing, prognosis and follow up of cancer treatment. To say "They don't want a cure " is not reality. Tell me the histology and pathology of the cancer subtype per cell involved and then I can give you hopefully a treatment to cure or slow the progression. The rub is no cancer is the same ( (based on the cell type and the type of mutation of the DNA) and and the same types of cancer respond differently to treatment. Therefore a silver bullet is beyond difficult to come up with.

So lets start by definition. What is cancer? An uncontrolled division of cells in the body. Now, why does this occur? Usually there is a frameshift or point shift mutation in the DNA that controls the said division of cells of a certain line of cells. Now, where this occurs is specific to certain people based on genetics and external factors i.e. smoking, sun exposure, certain foods, etc. Now, we as humans genetically are designed to live to about 40-50 years and we are living long beyond what the human body DNA coding is designed for thanks to human advances in medicine. At this point repairing certain areas of said DNA is not within the scope of human knowledge. Now it may be in our scope when our grandkids are adults but will not happen in our lifetimes I promise you. Big Pharm is searching though as who ever figures it out will be rich beyond human comprehension and Govt and ins would save untwords amount of cash.

So we are left with what will work in prevention, diagnosis, and treatment based on the scope of what modern medicine can get to. Funding helps with research and believe me with health care going into the toilet financially and with access shriveling up, I can guarantee you we are probably at the apex for a while.

Now cancer lines change just like bacteria or a virus. The treatment that works for the majority cells kills those cancer cells however there maybe .1% cells left that were not affected by the initial treatment so those .1% cells continue to reproduce and the recurrence therefore does not respond to initial treatment. This is the tough aspect of cancer.

So you can see neoplasm is multifactoral and researchers and physicians are doing everything in our power to stop it.
    Thanks for that nucjd.................God bless guys like you who are working to help people with this terrible disease............. I think the perception "we are not doing enough to find a cure" comes from the helplessness felt by those affected.