Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cancer

User Info Menu

Default Cancer

It seems like every week, I hear about someone else dealing with cancer................................and members of Drum Chat are no strangers to this.

You'd think we'd have figured out how to cure cancer by now.........................but hopefully some docs will figure out how to stop this curse

I know we are not supposed to post links, and Tom / PB, please remove this if it is not appropriate, but I ran across a website today that is a drummers version of "Livestrong"..................

I'd ask that we can "bend the rules" a bit and have this link displayed, to try and draw more attention to find a cure.

It is called DrumStrong.

Here is the link

http://www.drumstrong.org/

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cancer

Butch, I'm not so sure they want a cure.........................yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I'm afraid you may be right............that needs to change

User Info Menu

In some small way, I'm working on it.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

They don't want a cure yet. It's to big of a business. To much money involved. It's just like developing a new source of energy. Big oil will never let it happen. The cancer industry won't allow it either.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post

deleted - political discussion is not permitted in DrumChat. Please reference the forum rules. - Tom
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

These conspiracy theories are amusing. Let's hear more.

User Info Menu

As was already said: Too much money in "Treating Cancer" versus "Curing Cancer" - - but thats the way of "big business".
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I've deleted one comment already because it directly referenced the government and that's not allowed in here. I think we should steer away from the negatives. We all know that some in the industry would prefer that cancer stick around so they can profit but we don't know who or what percentage. It would be more productive if we could just focus on continuing to do what we can to give to trusted organizations and keep the need for more progress in the limelight. That was the purpose of the original post.

Additionally, I know for a fact that Drum Bum is a supporter of DrumStrong because I have posted some announcements for them in the past.

User Info Menu

ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I've deleted one comment already because it directly referenced the government and that's not allowed in here. I think we should steer away from the negatives. We all know that some in the industry would prefer that cancer stick around so they can profit but we don't know who or what percentage. It would be more productive if we could just focus on continuing to do what we can to give to trusted organizations and keep the need for more progress in the limelight. That was the purpose of the original post.

Additionally, I know for a fact that Drum Bum is a supporter of DrumStrong because I have posted some announcements for them in the past.
    Not meaning to start a fire here.
    Tom how is it that my comment gets deleted but all the other comments mentioning the fact that they don't want a cure have not been deleted like mine? I mean the users who used the word "they" must have meant government and big business. Not being rude just wondering how my comment was removed but the others were not.
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummingAllTheWayHome View Post
    Not meaning to start a fire here.
    Tom how is it that my comment gets deleted but all the other comments mentioning the fact that they don't want a cure have not been deleted like mine? I mean the users who used the word "they" must have meant government and big business. Not being rude just wondering how my comment was removed but the others were not.
    No offense taken. Being a moderator is like being a parent. You'll never get it right all the time or be able to please everyone. You just have to make decisions and do the best you can. I started with yours and was going to delete others and then realized I might as well just delete the thread. Well, I didn't want to do that so I stopped at yours and thought I'd post about it instead. I wasn't just picking on you.

User Info Menu

Ive been dealing with it for years. I go under the knife sept 4 . This will be my 14th operation. Wish I could say it gets easier but it doesn't My body is starting to look like scar city . But one can only hope
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

I had my visit from Cancer in 2006. After surgery and 7 weeks of radiation, then follow up C-scans every 4 months for 5 years I can now say I've been cancer free for 8 years. I have no doubt that cancer treatment is big business. I saw the bills, my insurance covered most of it but I still had to sell two very nice drum kits to cover my end.

7 weeks of radiation , 5 days a week for a 30 minute visit was $1500.00 per day. The follow up scans every 4 months were $3000.00 per scan for 5 years. This doesn't include all the office visits, blood work, dental care , I had head and neck cancer. It gets costly for sure.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 08-18-2014 at 04:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by not him View Post
    Ive been dealing with it for years. I go under the knife sept 4 . This will be my 14th operation. Wish I could say it gets easier but it doesn't My body is starting to look like scar city . But one can only hope
    Sorry to hear that, best wishes.

User Info Menu

My dad, grandmother and an aunt have died from this disease. My daughter, diagnosed when she was 9 years old thankfully has survived. Have also lost numerous friends. It's not like it hasn't touched my life, however, to think that there is some grand conspiracy to not find a cure is not something that I believe to be fact. Is it big business? Yes. Does it cost a lot of money to invest into R&D to find a cure? Yes. Does industry need to get an ROI? Yes. Does industry have a right to an ROI? Yes. Take a look at the percentage expenses that is invested in R&D and product development in order to attempt to find a cure. Are there some taking advantage of this? Probably some. Is there some evil, money grabbing agenda out there by some lurking overseer to stall the finding of a cure? Doubt it. Just my point of view.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 08-10-2014 at 08:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Diagnosed 11/2010, Surgery 2/2011. I've tested clear since. It has changed every facet of my life. I would not have gotten back into drumming if the new direction in life that it caused hadn't occurred.

User Info Menu

NPY, I'm so sorry that you had to go through that.

User Info Menu

It actually played a role in my return to drumming. I quit drinking in '06, had cancer surgery in '10. I decided, with time on my hands from lack of partying, to get back into drumming after 30 or so yrs of work/family raising and that I deserved a statement "trophy" kit for surviving my ordeal.

User Info Menu

No fun. I have been through my share of radiation and chemo (currently doing the latter again). Just want to say something to the conspiracy people. My oncologist told me once that she would love to go out of business because of a cure.

User Info Menu

Can you cancer guys tell us, is there anything that you could have done differently early on to stop the illness? I've never had cancer, so I don't know what to do at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    Can you cancer guys tell us, is there anything that you could have done differently early on to stop the illness? I've never had cancer, so I don't know what to do at all.

Don't smoke. Past that, there isn't anything you can do to guarantee you won't get it.

(Not smoking doesn't guarantee you won't get it. Heredity seems to play a part in whether you get it or not. It runs rampant in my GF's family yet none in mine.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    ...Here's a dose of reality for you. Because I had head and neck cancer a mask was made. this mask served two purposes. One was so they could mark out the area to be zapped, and two was so they could bolt my head to the table so I could not or would not move during treatment. It was not fun, but the nurses were easy on the eyes , and some of the kindest people I've ever met.. Oh , and I'm a non smoker.

NPYYZ...that is some serious reality...I am SO sorry that you had to deal with that. Radiation is an ugly thing...but lifesaving, too. I've only dealt with radiation through my work.

Thank goodness, I've not had to deal with the disease, personally, but my dad has had 3 types, lung, colon and prostate, all gone now...though he was a smoker for many years. His was the only cancer in his family, as far as I know. No one in my mom's family with the disease, again as far as I know. But then, we have a 19 friend of the family with thyroid cancer.

You have brought some idea, through your images , of what it might be like...to the very smallest way possible, to some of us. It's an awful thing, as are so many diseases. If we live long enough, the odds become 'better' that we will end up with something. The unfortunate reality (at least today) of an increasing life span...
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Death smiles at all of us. All we can do is smile back.

If you live long enough, Fate will pick the delivery system to get you where you are going.

User Info Menu

What I am asking is what was the earliest sign that you had cancer. What prompted you to see the doctor. Thinking back, was there an earlier symptom that you might have noticed?