Thread: Cymbal Suggestions

User Info Menu

Default Cymbal Suggestions

So my A Custom 16" Crash has a crack. Still plays, but was thinking I would just replace it with the same.

Now I'm thinking, keep the cracked 16 and baby it and get a different cymbal instead, stupid me!!!

I mainly use an 18" A Custom Crash and my son's 16" A Medium crash (while he's not using it, it replaces the cracked 16), and then a few different weight Dream crashes. Hi-hats are either 14" Paiste 3000 (not very common) or Dream Bliss 14" Hats. For my d

I play pop and rock, and I'm thinking maybe something with more power than even the 18" A Custom. I mostly only know Zildjian stuff, so....

So have fun kids and make me some suggestions in reasonable price ranges.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal Suggestions

Picked up some new Zildjian A's last year (the new thinner redesigned series). They're way different from the previous generation A's. Much thinner, still bright but a bit more mellow, not as gongy, with a softer feel. The Medium-Thins have a fuller sound than the Thins, which is to be expected. The Thin A's are pretty darn thin and sound like it. Since I got those I've tried some other cymbals and I keep going back to the Z A's. Absolutely love them. Fantastic all-around-use cymbals. If you're playing pop and rock (and country) they're perfect. If you haven't heard them, you need to try them out. I think you'll find them bright but not as bright and glassy as A Customs. Not harsh at all. Good dynamic range - you can get a variety sounds out of them.
    Gretsch Renown
    Ludwig Supraphonic
    Zildjian
    15”, 16”, 18” K Dark Thin
    16”, 18” K Sweet
    16" A Custom EFX
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    22” 60’s A Ride
    14" 50's Thin hats
    14” K Sweet hats

User Info Menu

I've had A's my whole life (37 years of drumming), although I sold a few and gave the rest to my son. I'll have to give the new generation one's a listen if you think there's enough of a difference. My son's A is about 5 years old, so the older generation.

I'm thinking NOT a 16, so not sure what to look at.

Other brand ideas?
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

There is a big difference between the new A's and 5 year old A's. Don't discount a 16. My 16 medium thin is lower pitched than a 17 K dark thin I had. You'll be surprised. I know they're not sexy, but they're really good versatile cymbals.
    Gretsch Renown
    Ludwig Supraphonic
    Zildjian
    15”, 16”, 18” K Dark Thin
    16”, 18” K Sweet
    16" A Custom EFX
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    22” 60’s A Ride
    14" 50's Thin hats
    14” K Sweet hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    There is a big difference between the new A's and 5 year old A's. Don't discount a 16. My 16 medium thin is lower pitched than a 17 K dark thin I had. You'll be surprised. I know they're not sexy, but they're really good versatile cymbals.
    The thing is I already have 2 16's, the slightly cracked A Custom and the A Medium Thin.

I was actually thinking of something bigger than 18.

I'm not getting a lot of suggestions on this thread, which is typical for threads I start LOL, so I'll just have to hit some store and some cymbals
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

I can only really speak for what I have, which is three AAX Xplosion crashes. I have a 16, 17 and 18, and I used to have a 14. Obviously I am a huge fan of these crashes lol...they have a really nice shimmery glassy sound that cuts through really well. I think they'd be great for the kind of music you play. They sound very similar to the A Customs IMO.

So yeah, highly recommended for sure!
    Matt

User Info Menu

If I had to pick something besides A Customs, I'd check out either the Sabian AA or AAX (preferably AAX studio) crashes with brilliant finishes.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, I'll check out the Sabians. The closest GC to me and my local store don't have a lot of cymbals, so will have to travel a little to listen.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

I tried many cymbals over the years and always came back to A customs. They have certainly improved over recent years, especially the projection crashes; if I was in your situation with the cracked 16" I would simply replace it with the same but that's me.. did you see the Inspiration pack from Zildjian yet? Not a fan of anything in packs as a rule but this is definately worth checking out
    Yamaha stage custom birch:

22 kick, 12 rack, 16 floor

Ludwig:

Black Beauty 14x6.5 supra phonic

Zildjian:

14" A Custom mastersound Hi hats
    14" A Custom crash
    16" A Custom projection crash
    10" Avedis splash
    20" A. Custom projection ride

miking:

behringer Xenyx QXI1832uSB mixer
    Audix D6 kick
    shure SM57 snare
    shure PG56 rack
    shure PG52 floor
    shure PG81 (x2) hi hat/ride

Tama speed cobra

User Info Menu

Type in cymbal on craigslist.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Type in cymbal on craigslist.
    How is this helpful? I'm not looking for where to get used cymbals. I was looking for suggestions for models to look at.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Kaosotis. What sound are you after? I can give a whole range if I know what sound your after.
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

Go listen to the Sabian HHX line. Either HHX Evolution (Weckl designed) or just the standard HHX line. I use HHX Xplosion crashes in 14", 16", 18" config. They're a little darker than the Zildjian A line but not as gongy. Unpolished bell with a brilliant finish:

Edit:
    Sabian makes great video clips. I've attached the (5x) 18" Sabian crash cymbal clip. Use headphones.

Last edited by late8; 08-12-2014 at 02:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Ever given Paiste Signatures a go? Try the Full or Power Crashes if you're after some cymbals with a bit of weight behind them. Myself, one of my favourite crashes is my 14" Crystal Crash, a pretty thin cymbal with an unusually flat-topped bell. Not sure if Paiste still makes these or not though.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Why not try another 18" A Custom? If the current one you own is a medium try a medium thin (or vice versa) there should be a difference in tone between the two and should work together OK, may be a bit too samey though?.
    Personally I really like the Sabian AAX Explosion crashes - maybe try one of these if you are willing to go out of your Zildjian zone?

User Info Menu

Food for thought! Thanks as always.

I'll have to hit up Sam Ash and GC that are further away when time permits to take a listen. My local GC has a very limited inventory.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K