Thread: drum rack system

User Info Menu

Default drum rack system

Hello all ..

Ok so I am considering purchasing a rack system for my kit .. reason is, i'm expanding my kit with new cymbals every once in a while, so stands get annoying. I will have 4 crashes on stands, plus a ride and two splashes on clamps with arm, so you get the idea.

Any good brands you recommend? Is this worth it?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

i like pdp hardware its never let me down. i think if you mount your rack toms to it as well then its definatly worth it.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

I got my son a PDP rack system. It's very road worthy and not bad looking either. You can leave large portions of it together, just breaking it down into sections. This makes it pretty fast to set back up. I mark the tom height with peices of scotch tape so I can get together exactly the say way every time. I also mark the legs of the uprights so I don't get the fronts, back, left, right pieces mixed up.

User Info Menu

PDP is a reliable brand, but stay away from they're cheaper products. I like the 900 series hardware because it's sturdy and not too expensive.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    PDP is a reliable brand, but stay away from they're cheaper products. I like the 900 series hardware because it's sturdy and not too expensive.
    I agree, 32HB. I like their 900 series hardware, too! For that reason, I would feel pretty comfortable with a PDP rack system.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

the 9000 is pro quality at hobbyist prices. and in this case that advertisement is compleatly true
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Ahhh man, MusiciansFriend doesn't sell rack systems for some reason.
    All DW equipment is reliable. The 9000 series is spectacular.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

i had a gibralter rack in the 80s and didnt like the tube design. i'm sure that pdp, tama and gibralter have made better clamps since then, but i always had problems with the tom arms slipping and dropping my rack toms right on top of my kick drum. this time around i bought a pearl icon with squarred peices. no possible slippage!!! i got it used with my drums. so far i have had it for 3 years and put it thru close to 200 shows. i have replaced a couple clamps that were the old style but other than that it has been solid and reliable. when you can transport it in sections with all the arms and stands on it makes setting quick and easy. i really only need about 1 square foot more space to set up a 7pc with 8 cymbals on a rack than it takes to setup a 4pc with 4 cymbal stands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    i really only need about 1 square foot more space to set up a 7pc with 8 cymbals on a rack than it takes to setup a 4pc with 4 cymbal stands.
    Wow! I knew racks had some advantages, but I never thought about just how much of an advantage it could be on space!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I agree completely with funky, I own the pearl too, and the squared pieces definately help. It's nearly infinately adjustable, and very stable. Musicians friend actually sells a newer version of what we have, where the middle section is curved.

here's a link to all of pearl's racks on musicians friend.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=pearl+rack

and here's a link to the rack that funky and I have.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ack?sku=448720

User Info Menu

I have a 3 sided Gibraltar rack that is damn heavy. It looks nice but I hate the set-up and tear down. I'm looking to get the multi-purpose stands where you can combine multiple cymbals and drums on one stand. Cymbal stackers work nice as well. There are some newer companies out there that make carbon fiber/lighter material racks with half the weight but double the price. If interested I'll look it up for ya. I saw it in Modern Drummer recently. Blessings......

User Info Menu

I also have a 3 sided Gibraltar rack and I love it. Like funky was saying, they have redesigned their clamps and they do not slip at all. The fact that I can set up or tear down an 8 piece kit with 8 cymbals in 15 minutes is well worth the extra weight of a heavyweight rack system. I was originally looking at the Pearl rack, and was about to buy it, when I got a killer deal on the rack I have (traded an old Ludwig snare I bought for $35 for it!). I replaced a couple clamps and added a few more and everything sits exactly where I want it every time I set up.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Wow what a great deal. Back in the day I paid I think......$600 for my rack! They're cheaper these days cause there's more competition. Blessings.......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    I also have a 3 sided Gibraltar rack and I love it. Like funky was saying, they have redesigned their clamps and they do not slip at all. The fact that I can set up or tear down an 8 piece kit with 8 cymbals in 15 minutes is well worth the extra weight of a heavyweight rack system. I was originally looking at the Pearl rack, and was about to buy it, when I got a killer deal on the rack I have (traded an old Ludwig snare I bought for $35 for it!). I replaced a couple clamps and added a few more and everything sits exactly where I want it every time I set up.
    dang, where did you find such a sucker! i have 2 old luddy acrolites laying around. maybe he would trade a car or house or something.
    was it something like a supra or black beauty?, something with value? sounds like a good score.

User Info Menu

It was just a Ludwig Acrolite I found at good will. He had a gig the next day and had somehow lost his snare from his kit the night before. He did'nt have any cash and did'nt use the rack anymore, so we traded straight across. I tried to offer some cash to go with the snare, but he said no. I kinda felt guilty but he would'nt take anything else. Oh well.

I have since gone and seen his band a few times and we're becoming pretty good friends.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

i also bought the PDP rack system for my Blk Pearls. very nice and dependable rack, sturdy and top of the line. i recommend it to anyone who wants to expand their kit.