Thread: What are these Zildjian hats?

User Info Menu

Default What are these Zildjian hats?

My brother bought these old hats on eBay a few years back. I finally got around to cleaning them up....and found a stamp. They are 14" (hats I assume). They are pretty thin & light, and one is JUST BARELY heavier than the other...but not much. Good shape, overall, but there does look to be some slight porosity in the casting, as you can see some tiny pitting on the under side if you look very close. Not sure if it's from damage and/or age, or just they way they were made? Maybe fairly old? They are stamped with the Zildjan logo in 2 places (180* apart), but the stamping is very faint and hard to read. It says, Avedis Zildjian Genuine Turkish Cymbals, Made in USA. Maybe the "transition" stamp? Anyhow, they came out nice but honestly....I'm not real impressed with their sound. Any ideas what they might be??

Before:

After:
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: What are these Zildjian hats?

I believe they are from the 1970's its interesting they have the deep "Zildjian" seen in the 1950's stamps but the think "Avedis" and this arabic script so I think its either a 1970's model or 1960's as zildjian changed their stamps a lot in the 50/60's but due to the hammering/lathing I do think its a early 70's model, 70's thin stamp to be exact.
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

Just to add the Transition stamp had a very deep Z from Zildjian and C form the C in it. everything else could bearly be seen. If anyone else needs a Z identified post it here or pm me.
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    12/14/20

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

That stamp and lathing I'd say early 70s. I have a pair of mid-60s hats, both are similar weights, both under 700 grams but the lathing is different. It's heavier, deeper especially on the bell. 50s-60s run pretty light. Do you know the weights in grams?
    Gretsch Renown
    Ludwig Supraphonic
    Zildjian
    15”, 16”, 18” K Dark Thin
    16”, 18” K Sweet
    16" A Custom EFX
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    22” 60’s A Ride
    14" 50's Thin hats
    14” K Sweet hats

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! I'll weigh them tomorrow. I doubted it was a transition stamp...just because the "Co" can't be seen. I wasn't sure about the thin stamp, however, because the "ZIL" is fairly prominent (more than the rest). They sound good when struck on the edge with the shoulder of the stick, but they're pretty dull otherwise. Maybe I have 2 tops or a mismatched set....
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I had a pair of 15"'s from the 50's and yes the lathing is more spread and wider. and G-man the lathing in 50's is actually farily deep. or atleast thats been my case. but I know what you mean about the dull sound. They were nice but not my cup of tea. I don't care though I resold em and made £50.

Grear List
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    12/14/20

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

i think they are 70's new beat but not sure

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

the before pic looks like it was blood stained!
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Those hats look very much like the ones I got with my '64 Downbeat. The owner told me he purchased them in the same year, not that his memory serves as as an accurate way to date them. When I got them I compared the stamps to a few timeline web pages and the dating I got seem correct. Ill have to get pics of the stamps tomorrow at practice for comparison.

I did weigh them a couple of weeks ago and weights are very close as well:
    806 grams top
    845 grams bottom

1964 Ludwig Downbeat Black Diamond Pearl (12,13,14,16,20)
    ALL of its Original Hardware

Ludwig Stainless Steel "Bop" (12,14,18)

Ludwig 1947 Standard Deluxe w/Art Gold hardware 3ply Maple 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM470 Auditorium 3ply Mahogany 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM908P Jazz Festival 3ply Mahogany 5.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1964 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1968 LM410 Super Sensitive 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1969 LM404 Acrolite 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1976 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1977 LM401 Lacquered Brass Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1978 LM405 NYC Bd of Ed Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1984 LB552 75th Anniversary Engraved Bronze 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1990s LM404 Black Galaxy Acrolite 10 Lug w/Silver Monroe Keystone 5 x 14
    Ludwig 2010 LB417BT Engraved Black Beauty 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2017 LB402B COB Supraphonic 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2020 LC662KTC Hammered Copperphonic w/all Copper Hardware 6.5 x 14
    DW Collectors 3mm Cast Bell Brass 5.5 x 14
    DW/Craviotto 2000 Steam Bent Solid Cherry 5.5 x 14

Zildjian As and A Customs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    the before pic looks like it was blood stained!
    Ya know......it was crusty too.
    I don't know what was done to them, but it was nasty. Probably an attempt to clean them with Ketchup. They look great now, almost like new. I used them yesterday for our band practice and I changed my opinion. They sound pretty good in the context of a live setting. The closed sounds are very clean, tight and cutting.

Oh.....and my Bro said he paid $15 for them + $10 shipping.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 08-11-2014 at 09:29 AM.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I have a set of '70s era Zildjian A 15" hats and they have the same "J" as the pics posted in this thread. They are very thin, almost as if they were "Thin Jazz" hats.

User Info Menu

These are pretty thin as well. The top hat is about as thin as my 14" thin crash....which now makes me think, "do I have a set of hats, or are they crash cymbals?" Can I tell by the bell? Does it matter, LOL?
    -Brian