Thread: Stick Question.

User Info Menu

Default Stick Question.

It's common for all of us to develop bad habits in our technique at one time or another.. but since I have began playing again regularly.. I have a weird question.

Have any of you found yourselves choking down as you play on your sticks if you are playing match grip? It's not happening so much in my left hand at all, but my right hand, if I am playing for awhile... My hand starts getting tired. I look over and BAM... my hand is at the end of the dang stick. It's so weird. How in the heck did this start and any suggestions on how to stop?
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stick Question.

Thats just how I play lol.

User Info Menu

I don't find that is a problem for me more of i just kinda slowly start losing my grip and they start to come out of my hand so i do a stick trick if I'm performing or i kinda walk my fingers up the stick so i have the opposite problem.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

I've never had this issue before... it's just funny. LOL I look over and I am like what the.... LOL
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

hate when it happens but like HolyChina I just walk fingers back to the right area. Sometimes in pictures of myself i see it
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

If,for some reason, my sticks move back or forward, they feel unbalanced. Since I play with the traditional grip 99% of the time, when it happens, it is far more noticeable in my left hand. And more often than not, most of the movement of the sticks tends to go back towards the butt-end.
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

try use grip tape

User Info Menu

It happens to just about everybody. Just sneak your fingers back up or down the stick. Using grip tape might develop blisters.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Thats just how I play lol.
    Me too mostly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by veafer View Post
    If,for some reason, my sticks move back or forward, they feel unbalanced. Since I play with the traditional grip 99% of the time, when it happens, it is far more noticeable in my left hand. And more often than not, most of the movement of the sticks tends to go back towards the butt-end.
    Trad grip slip= use Regal Tips.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Trad grip slip= use Regal Tips.
    It is very, very rare that I have a problem with any kind of stick slip. That might be why the balance is so noticeable when it does happen. I did try Regal Tip sticks years ago, but after using Hickory Pro Marks 5-A for so long, they just didn't feel comfortable. And I just didn't want to take the time to get used to something different. Lazy? Maybe. But it's all about comfort for me.
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

Can you video yourself from behind you so you can see your right hand while you're playing? That might allow you to critique yourself - and solve the problem, because unless I miss my guess, none of us are going to be able to diagnose your problem from description alone - and if you see yourself in a video, then right then you can see whats going on and if you are still unsure about how to correct it, then post it here and then we can have a better idea of the problem and a possible solution for you - - - Just a thought~~~
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I've that problem too!
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (CR):
    20,12,10 + 14x5,5" PDP Maple/Bubinga snare
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals