Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Sabians...any suggestions for cleaning them?

stickks Guest

Default New Sabians...any suggestions for cleaning them?

Getting some new AAXs all with brilliant finishes on them from the factory. Any suggestions on keeping them clean and shiny? Does the Sabian stuff work good? I know that with my Paistes, their cleaners work really well, but I don't really know what to use on Sabians..thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Sabians...any suggestions for cleaning them?

I used Brasso on mine, and they shined-up nicely. Is there some reason to use a specialty cymbal cleaner on them?

User Info Menu

I tried the ketchup method today. It really worked and did not take off logos. Just brush a nice thick coat on and let it sit fifteen to twenty minutes... then rinse with warm water and wrote dry. Cheap and easy. Worked awesome on mine!
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

For older, tarnished cymbals Brasso works great, but I wouldn't go near brand new brilliant finished ones with that kind of abrasive product (plus it takes the logos off) If you are going to spend that kind of scratch on new pies my advice is spend a few more bucks to get whatever Sabian recommends to keep them shiny

User Info Menu

Brilliant finish cymbals have a special coating to keep them from oxidizing. A lite solution of vinegar and water.

User Info Menu

Try the ketchup, I tell ya. It didn't take off any of my logos at all. I used a soft silicone bbq brush to spread it around. I wasn't a believer until I tried it for myself. I watched youtube vids before I did it. Of course, mine are older cymbals... :D
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

If they are new, they won't need cleaned with anything, but a cloth for a long time. Just wipe them off often, maybe every wk. Some people wipe them off after each time they use them.

User Info Menu

Soft cloth, warm water, micro-fibre cloth to dry & polish them... that's it.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

I bought all my cymbals used, when I first got them I give them a really good clean with brasso - the tarnished ones anyway. Brasso stinks like you wouldn't believe, is hard work and really messy (make sure you have plenty of clean soft cloths) and preferably clean them outdoors. The chemicals in it gave me a monster headache so now I try to avoid it. After the first clean up I have used dishwashing soapy water, rinsed off and dried. I leave them on the stands after drying - and wipe dry again about 20 minutes later - if you leave even a hint of water on them they will develop green spots. For the last year I have not needed to repeat the brasso treatment as they remain clean. I wash my cymbals whenever they start getting a bit stick marked and greasy with fingerprints - normally once a week or so.

I have cleaned off greasy lacquered cymbals with a gas soaked rag - it works a treat, it doesn't seem to affect the lacquer coat but will wash away logos REALLY easily. I wash away any gas residue with soapy water and dry carefully. I have stopped doing this as gas fumes also give me a headache. If you are tempted to try - do it outdoors.

Be careful using brasso on lacquered cymbals as it is abrasive and will wear through it - it will also remove logos. It seems fine on brilliant finish cymbals though but be careful - clean around logos if you want to keep them.

I have tried using ketchup and it works ok if you smear it on and leave it for 30 minutes or so (if they are really corroded leave it longer), just wash it off afterwards - but it didn't work on lacquered cymbals and left the lacquer looking streaky so I had to clean them again. Its fine on uncoated bronze or brass though. I believe the active ingredient that cleans metal in ketchup is vinegar - NRs suggestion of a vinegar solution sounds good to me.

User Info Menu

Just don't touch them or play them when you get them. This will keep them really clean!

I'd just play them and not worry about it. I'd dusted off my A Customs a couple of times since I got them about 1.5 years ago.

Also, Sabian offers the "refresh" service for $40 which might be worth it every few years if you like the shiny look. I wish Zildjian would follow suit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Brilliant finish cymbals have a special coating to keep them from oxidizing. A lite solution of vinegar and water.
    I agree. You don't want to harm the clear coat. Also, I always handle my cymbals like CD's. I always handle them by the edges, wipe them down often and keep them in plastic sleeves when not in use (thick wall garbage bags work good).
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumminchick View Post
    I tried the ketchup method today. It really worked and did not take off logos. Just brush a nice thick coat on and let it sit fifteen to twenty minutes... then rinse with warm water and wrote dry. Cheap and easy. Worked awesome on mine!
    Heinz or Hunt's?
    You might try a 15oz can of tomato sauce instead. Should have the same acid but without the sodium & sugar.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Cotton wadding soaked with a light oily cleaner. Wipe on, wait a few minutes buff with a clean rag until white chalky residue is gone:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Heinz or Hunt's?
    You might try a 15oz can of tomato sauce instead. Should have the same acid but without the sodium & sugar.

hunt's! LOL Tomato sauce isn't a bad idea at all! I am gonna try that next time.
    Kits:

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Always practice SAFE cymbal cleaning and use a condiment.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Bawhahaha!!! Priceless!

User Info Menu

All my cymbals have the original logos,etc. ..and they all look really good. I swiffer them off regularly... I take a damp cloth to any nasty fingerprints and such. When the swiffering and damp cloth aren't doing it anymore (about twice a year now) I put them in the bathtub with dish soap and warm water and the stick marks seem to come off easily with as non abrasive (white) scrub pad. Then I rinse and towel them dry.. and finish with a light coat of Lemon Pledge.
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

LMAO!!!!!!
    Kits:

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Ketchup belongs on hot dogs not cymbals.

User Info Menu

Lemons!

I've been using lemons for years now and I have to say, when I first tried this method I was amazed.

Cut a lemon in half and use one half for a cymbal. Squeeze some juice out onto the cymbal and move the lemon with the grooves on the cymbal, then just dry it with a rag. I could see my reflection in my wuhan splashes after this method.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

About the tomato/lemon thing - won't this eat through the finish? Seems to me like it might shine them up temporarily but they may dull faster.

Is this true?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    About the tomato/lemon thing - won't this eat through the finish? Seems to me like it might shine them up temporarily but they may dull faster.

Is this true?
    I haven't had any problems. Yet
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Brilliant finish is an electroplating process. You know, heat, acid polarization, chemical bonding, that old gem. Lemon juice does not harm it at all, traditional finish too. It won't take the ink logos off either. One thing to remember is that fingerprints and other oils left on brilliant cymbals will eventually permanently discolor them. Once this happens they will not come off without a professional buffing, which will also remove the logos. That's why I switched to traditional finish.
    Last edited by SunDog; 08-26-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I haven't had any problems. Yet
    How long have you been doing this?

User Info Menu

You might try a non abrasive cleaner like Kick'n'brass. Not only does it clean the finish - but you get the added bonus of logo protection and it's bio-degradable too.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments