Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dare you respond to this thread?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dare you respond to this thread?

First cymbals I bought were Zildjian ZBTs - after a month I was ready to upgrade so I bought.... Sabian B8s. yeah good upgrade there.

Also I assembled my hi hat with the top hat on the bottom and bottom hat on top and played it that way for about a week before I saw the proper configuration at a drum store. I almost "corrected" them on their assembly technique. That would have been good...

User Info Menu

I didn't even have drum magazines to guide me when I started. I just had no clue about anything, nobody seemed to.

Someone had already removed (and lost...) the resonant heads, rims and associated hardware on my first kit before I got it. I didn't know any better.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=MikeRoyale;605973]First cymbals I bought were Zildjian ZBTs - after a month I was ready to upgrade so I bought.... Sabian B8s. yeah good upgrade there.

I did the same thing Mike - I bought a set of ZBTs - purely because they had the name Zildjian on them, that has to mean they are the best available right?
    After about a month of hating them I sold them and 'upgraded' - I bought Stagg cymbals because they sounded better to me and were affordable. I lived like a hermit for months and bought lots of them. When I had bought all I wanted and started going out into the world again I happily told a drummer friend of mine what I had done. His reply was "I've had a few of them, they sounded good to me until they started cracking.....you do know how fragile they are, right?" Oops.

User Info Menu

I once thought it was important to practice rudiments. Glad I got past that...

Go...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    I once thought it was important to practice rudiments. Glad I got past that...

Go...
    LOL. Nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Guilty.
    Love my drum dial.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumminchick View Post
    When I was a pre-teen... I folded up papertowels and covered them with duct tape on my heads and used them for mufflers.
    Ohhhh YES!!!!!!!!! I remember doing that, as well as the external mufflers. I hate these things now.

User Info Menu

I thought by getting more and more tattoos it was going to help me play better , turns out I was right!!!

User Info Menu

- Bought Ahead drumsticks
    - duct tape 2 long strips across the middle of each drum I had
    - duct tape my drum sticks
    - trying to get more cymbals - I bought a used pair of B8 hihats and used them as individual cymbals
    - instead of getting a good cymbal and/or better drumheads - I buy a double-kick first..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Guilty:

That is One Really Fine Set-Up~!!!
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stickks View Post
    Very Terry Bozzio-like..kinda cool
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I had this cheap beginner set, half cb700 half something called jma. It was candy apple red. I got a snare drum given to by my friends mother because he had no interest and she knew I did. It was a Ludwig, keystone badge with white painted interiors finished in blue glass glitter. They made that drum for about eight years in the 60's (i know this now) and it was either Pioneer or a Jazz Festival. Anyway, I tried to strip the "ugly" blue glass wrap off so that it wouldn't clash with my candy apple red POS Frankenstein drum set. Prior to taking a putty knife to it the drum was in pristine condition. I managed to put a pretty nasty gouge at the seam before I finally gave up.
    Last edited by SunDog; 08-17-2014 at 10:34 PM.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

As a young player, I was more interested in looking good, than sounding good. I set my gear up akin to whatever the current trend was, and was more interested in how hard and loud I could play. Needless to say, that changed once I moved to the US and couldn't get gigs. I spent the next few years working hard on groove and feel. It has paid off tremendously. I've been a working drummer for well over 30 years.

User Info Menu

Like many of us, I started playing as a teenager and didn't have a lot of spare cash for gear. So to save those precious bucks, instead of buying wooden drum sticks which would eventually break, splinter or shatter, I bought METAL drum sticks! I think they were aluminum. They had plastic beads and shoulders about 1/3 down the stick. They didn't break, but as you can imagine, they were murder on my cymbals, which were cheap and prone to cracking anyway. But the sticks accelerated that.
    I couldn't win for losing!
    When I finally got a part-time job, I ditched the metal sticks for wooden ones and bought some Zildjians. I haven't cracked a cymbal since!
    JOE

Seven piece vintage Ludwig kit (1971), Sky Blue Pearl, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 22
    Snare drums (all Ludwig): 1971 Supraphonic, 1969 SBP Classic, 1990s Blackrolite, 2012 6.5x 14 Black Magic
    Zildjian Cymbals - 21 ping, 20, 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14 HH, 10, 18 China, Wuhan 18 China
    Five piece Sonor All Maple 3005s: 12, 13, 16, 22, 5x 14 snare
    Roland TD4SX
    SPL Birch Bop Kit: 13, 8, 13, 18

User Info Menu

I use to duct tape my snare drum and use external muffler too. also duct taped my cowbell. lol
    Conrad

User Info Menu

I have a full set of those Remo muff'l tone controls, they work quite well for controlling the boom and getting down to the thump/thud. There's a version of them where the foam part is a solid circle with no hole, for total muting and that's come in quite handy for electronic conversions at an affordable price. Versatile too, cut one circle, leave one as is - you've got a whole palette of sounds at that point. Haven't tried clip on dampeners, they seem like an idea that might work but I want something that dampens evenly around the surface of a drum, not just one small area. This could make for uneven tone, one spot that's good and unsatisfying elsewhere.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Five Magics View Post
    - Bought Ahead drumsticks
    Nothing wrong with Ahead sticks.......................along with VF's, I've used them for years and am completely satisfied with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I have a full set of those Remo muff'l tone controls, they work quite well for controlling the boom and getting down to the thump/thud. There's a version of them where the foam part is a solid circle with no hole, for total muting and that's come in quite handy for electronic conversions at an affordable price. Versatile too, cut one circle, leave one as is - you've got a whole palette of sounds at that point. Haven't tried clip on dampeners, they seem like an idea that might work but I want something that dampens evenly around the surface of a drum, not just one small area. This could make for uneven tone, one spot that's good and unsatisfying elsewhere.

I've used the Gibraltar clip-on dampener.................works well if you want a completely dead sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I want something that dampens evenly around the surface of a drum, not just one small area. This could make for uneven tone, one spot that's good and unsatisfying elsewhere.
    Russ - I have an old set of Pearl Forums which are VERY boomy - I cut a 'donut' out of the original Pearl (20 years old?) batters - I used a knife to cut around by the metal ring and cut out the centres to leave a control ring about 1" wide which I fit under the replacement batter heads. I suppose I've made my own version of those Remo foam control ring thingies. They work well for me and cut down the boingy sustain and I don't need any tape/moongels on them. The shells on my Pearls suck though so killing off the sustain is a very good thing - probably not so good on more desirable drums.
    If you have a few old junk heads lying around it may be worth trying out.

Yes I do realise this is a dumb things I did as a newbie thread. And I'm a newbie - oh no.... I wonder if in a few years I'll be owning up to this one.

User Info Menu

I bought and used gloves for a few shows.
    I bought the overtone labs tunebot (way too much of a hassle)
    When I first bought a china cymbal, I used to have it on the left hand side of my kit, where you might usually see an 8" rack tom placed - just above and to the right of the hi hat and to the left of the first tom. I placed it here for no other reason than to be different, it wasn't even comfortable to play.
    I own a storage unit that is full of drums - I basically only play 2 different kits.
    I bought a refinished 70s Ludwig kit with cymbals and hardware thinking I could flip it for quick profit and keep the cymbals. Nobody is touching this kit and I'm almost ready to give it away.

There will be more dumb things I've done in the future, I'm sure.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

I bought a ddrum D2 beginner kit and a ZBT cymbal pack as my first kit, because I wasn't sure I had it in me to be a drummer at 52.

Since then, I realized that regardless of talent, it's still about the practice.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I bought remo O-rings to sit on top of my pinstripe heads that were on my birch drums. I think they had the opposite of resonance.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by isaacvining View Post
    I bought remo O-rings to sit on top of my pinstripe heads that were on my birch drums. I think they had the opposite of resonance.
    Coffee through the nose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRoyale View Post
    First cymbals I bought were Zildjian ZBTs - after a month I was ready to upgrade so I bought.... Sabian B8s. yeah good upgrade there.

Also I assembled my hi hat with the top hat on the bottom and bottom hat on top and played it that way for about a week before I saw the proper configuration at a drum store. I almost "corrected" them on their assembly technique. That would have been good...
    I have a set of hats that sound better to me when the top hat is on the bottom. Every time I switch them back. my ears tell me to put the bottom hat back on top. Played them that way for over 25 years. Tried it with the last set I bought, they sound much better in a standard top/bottom pairing. I have no idea if it makes any difference to an audience at all. Probably only something the drummer would hear, being right on top of the sound source.

Good rule to live by as a drummer/percussionist: There are no rules. Everything is a percussion instrument if you hit it right. How you stack your hats or whatever matters a lot less than how you use them.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

I had a light on top of my drums in the basement with one of those pull chains to turn it on and off, as well as a light switch at the door. I wanted to turn off the light but rather than go to the light switch, I stood on my throne to reach the pull chain. Luckily, I didn't fall into the drums. Instead, I fell on the floor with my palm slamming into the concrete. Managed to break my elbow. Moral of the story: drum thrones, especially ones with three legs, are not made for standing.
    My kit: OCDP Custom drums, Zildjian cymbals, Tama hardware, Evans heads, Pro-Mark drumsticks, Roland electronics, LP aux percussion, Roc-N-Soc throne, Shure mics

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    Russ - I have an old set of Pearl Forums which are VERY boomy - I cut a 'donut' out of the original Pearl (20 years old?) batters - I used a knife to cut around by the metal ring and cut out the centres to leave a control ring about 1" wide which I fit under the replacement batter heads. I suppose I've made my own version of those Remo foam control ring thingies. They work well for me and cut down the boingy sustain and I don't need any tape/moongels on them. The shells on my Pearls suck though so killing off the sustain is a very good thing - probably not so good on more desirable drums.
    If you have a few old junk heads lying around it may be worth trying out.

Yes I do realise this is a dumb things I did as a newbie thread. And I'm a newbie - oh no.... I wonder if in a few years I'll be owning up to this one.
    That's funny, I had a set of Pearl forums too. One of my first kits actually, the only dampening device I used with them was e-rings. Surprisingly enough they sounded good enough without a lot of work, once I tuned them up correctly it was honestly a better sound than I could get with stuffing methods. Great skill developer set.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments