Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dare you respond to this thread?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dare you respond to this thread?

Well...here's the short list:

1. Cutting a giant hole in a smooth white 22" bass head and replacing it with the film from a 24" silver dot head (using duct tape, of course) because 22" silver dots were not in stock at the local shop.

2. Made a pair of 10" "toms" out of cardboard paint buckets and plastic frisbees because the sound matched pretty well with that hybrid bass head and the 13" and 16" toms muffled with 3" thick strips of foam mattress. For clarity I mean 3" by 3" by the head diameter.

3. Tried to incorporate Neil Peart's "A Show of Hands" drum solo into everything...even at a jazz festival...where the entire band was being judged on its performance.

4. Tried to sound like Louie Bellson during a samba piece....at a jazz festival...still being judged....sounded very un-Louie.

5. Argued with one of the judges at said jazz festival because (y'all ready for this?): "I had learned from the best".

6. Said yes to an open stage situation involving Bob Marley's "Redemption Song", which I had never heard... but it was Bob Marley so, guess what I played?
    It was DISGUSTING!

After that I was much more careful about my behavior and drumming, and have largely been successful in avoiding these kinds of embarrassments. All of the above took place in the first 12 years of my drumming between age 9 and age 21.

User Info Menu

I can't think of anything that i did that was totally the wrong application or used improperly when I first starting out because I am an information hound. If I have an idea of something I might want to try and/or buy, I research it first to make sure it's going to do what I think it's going to do, and then learn how to properly use it. It drives my wife crazy. No spontaneity when buying something I'm not familiar with.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

There are a couple things in this thread that are actually good useable ideas that I still use to this day.

The first being the folded pice of paper towel taped to a drum head. I have a 1"x 2" piece taped to the outer edge of the bottom head on my 14 and 16 Sonor basswood fl toms. It does the job killing unwanted over tones.

The second is the duct tape on the cowbell. I do this as well, again it's a great way to control the sound of an overpowering cowbell.

Nothing wrong at all with either.

User Info Menu

I did the duct tape on cowbell and cut the black dots off my bass drum head and made them the resonate heads.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

I used to set my cymbals up as high as the stands would allow without being wobbly. Yeah, that was cool.

Then I realized how much speed I lost trying to reach for a cymbal. I'd almost jump off the throne if I was to choke the cymbal after the smack.

Yeah, that wasn't that great of an idea looking back....
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    There are a couple things in this thread that are actually good useable ideas that I still use to this day.

The first being the folded pice of paper towel taped to a drum head. I have a 1"x 2" piece taped to the outer edge of the bottom head on my 14 and 16 Sonor basswood fl toms. It does the job killing unwanted over tones.

The second is the duct tape on the cowbell. I do this as well, again it's a great way to control the sound of an overpowering cowbell.

Nothing wrong at all with either.
    I agree with the paper towel method using painters tape!
    Same on the cowbell too. Duct tape is a no no gooey mess for me if you ever remove it. I've used electrical tape too, messy also.

User Info Menu

Tried to hammer a gong out of a huge brass serving tray. Talk about as successful as selling umbrellas in the Sahara.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Tried to hammer a gong out of a huge brass serving tray. Talk about as successful as selling umbrellas in the Sahara.
    Actually an umbrella could be used to shade the sun.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    Actually an umbrella could be used to shade the sun.
    Duh, got me there! Been typing this late. Should have said something like....oooh I dunno....pet snakes to Indiana Jones...

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    I can't think of anything that i did that was totally the wrong application or used improperly when I first starting out because I am an information hound. If I have an idea of something I might want to try and/or buy, I research it first to make sure it's going to do what I think it's going to do, and then learn how to properly use it. It drives my wife crazy. No spontaneity when buying something I'm not familiar with.
    i'm the same way. and my girlfriend hates that i'm always looking stuff up all the time haha

except when i first got my kit i got the ebony pinstripes because they look cool and then added additional muffling because i had no idea how to tune correctly
    Last edited by rallydrummer; 09-25-2014 at 11:30 PM.
    Pearl Export EX matte purple with black hardware 10, 13, 14, 22

14" Zildjian Constantinople hats
    22" Zildjian Constantinople ride
    8" Zildjian Constantinople splash
    20" Zildjian Constantinople ride/crash
    18" Zildjian Constantinople riveted ride/crash
    16" A. Zildjian Thin Crash (now a wall decoration)
    18" A. Zildjian Thin Crash
    14" Avedis Zildjian crash

User Info Menu

I ordered my Ludwig 5 piece stainless steel kit in 1979 with two clip-mounted concert toms.

User Info Menu

Well, I'm still a beginner. But, I'd have to say that I got this one Crash Ride for my birthday. I used it as a ride and mounted it higher than my crash. Major face palm there. Also, in my first 2 years... I didn't know what a drum head was.

User Info Menu

When I first started playing (Ddrum D2 kit), i had a hell of a time with tuning the toms. I found that putting a piece of Moongel on each of the RESO heads made tuning a lot less important. Doh!

User Info Menu

When I first started drumming, I set my rack toms way too high.

Even worse, (and this is almost too embarrassing to admit to, but I'll be big) when I first got my drum kit, I thought that the stock cymbals actually sounded good! (That was obviously before I developed an actual good taste in cymbal sounds.)
    "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

Have drums, will travel.

WARNING: Practical joke-playing drummer ahead!

User Info Menu

When I started playing, My hi hats were at the height of my shoulders. I don't remember how I played them though
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    When I started playing, My hi hats were at the height of my shoulders. I don't remember how I played them though
    I used to put my hats up as high as my stand would allow. Now everything is as low as I can get it! Except my throne...it's as high as it goes.

User Info Menu

It was 1969, and I was ten. I started playing snare drum at school, so my parents bought me a used Acrolite. Two years later they bought me a Drum Mate (stencil) drum set that had a bass drum, snare, and rack tom. Since I already had the Acrolite snare, I used the snare that came with the kit as a "floor tom." Later I used an old marching snare as a floor tom and covered all of those drums with wood grain Contact Paper. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
    It was 1969, and I was ten. I started playing snare drum at school, so my parents bought me a used Acrolite. Two years later they bought me a Drum Mate (stencil) drum set that had a bass drum, snare, and rack tom. Since I already had the Acrolite snare, I used the snare that came with the kit as a "floor tom." Later I used an old marching snare as a floor tom and covered all of those drums with wood grain Contact Paper. Peace and goodwill.
    Contact paper, lol...

I put T-shirts all over my toms. The thud sounded better than the horrible tone I had otherwise. This was before I learned to tune obviously.

User Info Menu

Better move up to sweatshirts Tom, you still can't tune.

I do have my sources at DC.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS