Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dare you respond to this thread?

User Info Menu

Default Dare you respond to this thread?

I thought this would be fun, but it may be a little embarrassing for some.

Anywho, here goes: What are some of the face-palm-worthy, drum-related stuff you did (or you purchased) when you first started playing? Ok, you didn't know any better so it's fine, but looking back, you can't help but do a face-palm or two.

I'll go first:

1. When I first got my drum kit, I bought a set of those Remo foam rings and put them under the BATTTER-side of the drum heads. What's the problem, right?

2. For about 3-4 weeks, I mounted my ride cymbal really high...like right-above-my-head high. I was trying different things, but man, it looked goofy. Luckily, I came to my senses before my first gig...I think.

3. I once owned a Zildjian 22" China Boy High. Why?

4. I once sent an audition tape to a nationally-known band (in the CCM market)...playing a Roland Octopad.

I dare you all to post something that will top mine!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dare you respond to this thread?

i bought a drum dial

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    i bought a drum dial
    Guilty.

User Info Menu

i did return it the next day

User Info Menu

Mine really helped me when I first got my Pork Pies. While I still have it, I'm pretty sure I don't need it. Haven't used it in a long time.

User Info Menu

I used to care about setting my kit up like people said I should and not for what works for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I used to care about setting my kit up like people said I should and not for what works for me.
    Guilty:

User Info Menu

I'm too new to know what stupid stuff I am doing.

stickks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Guilty:

Very Terry Bozzio-like..kinda cool

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    i bought a drum dial
    Guilty. Still have mine (the Tama version)...haven't touched in a long time.

Guilty:

I dont know Rich, get those back and let's start a hair metal band. I'll play bass.

User Info Menu

Guilty:

Would I be out of line if I said that I'm really having a hard time not staring at your rack?

User Info Menu

I pulled all the reso heads off the drum kit (including the bass) to get "that 70's" sound. Used Duct tape as a tuning device. I thought the internal muffler on my snare was designed to adjust the head tension "on the fly".....so I cranked it as tight as it would go to get the head nice and tight, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Guilty:

That is awesome............................I'd love to play that, but would hate to lug it around!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post

I dont know Rich, get those back and let's start a hair metal band. I'll play bass.
    lol!! Dude, I'd love to!!

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Would I be out of line if I said that I'm really having a hard time not staring at your rack?

Hahaha...Good one Martin!

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    That is awesome............................I'd love to play that, but would hate to lug it around!
    Butch, you and me both!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    For the record, the Remo Muffl's are designed to go under the batter head, so you got that one right.
    I thought they were more made to go under the reso head?

They sounded very cardboard-box-like when I put them under the batters, but what did I know?

User Info Menu

When I was a pre-teen... I folded up papertowels and covered them with duct tape on my heads and used them for mufflers.
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

I bought twin ply batters heads - I assumed that as they are thicker they had the potential to be louder than single ply and would have more 'range' of volume.

User Info Menu

Outfitted my Tama Rockstars with ebony pinstripes because they looked so cool. Thought I was having a hard time tuning them until I figured out that they were supposed to sound that way.
    Gretsch Renown
    Ludwig Supraphonic
    Zildjian
    15”, 16”, 18” K Dark Thin
    16”, 18” K Sweet
    16" A Custom EFX
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    22” 60’s A Ride
    14" 50's Thin hats
    14” K Sweet hats

User Info Menu

Got as a gift but I asked for it is roto toms never play them should of asked for a crash or something but I was probably 9 when i got the so...
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumminchick View Post
    When I was a pre-teen... I folded up papertowels and covered them with duct tape on my heads and used them for mufflers.
    I do that for band practice to keep the volume down. Its cheap and effective.

User Info Menu

I put a clear emperor on my snare batter...
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I bought stupid plastic drumsticks that light up blue when you hit them, they had way to much response and wrecked my wrists early on.

My starter set itself, I still to this day do not know what wood it was made out of, it was a terrible beater set that I got for $400 and I think I paid about $400 too much for it.

A warped Stagg 18" crash/ride, although the cymbal bag I got with it was worth the $35 I paid for it because I still use it 7 years later.

There's probably more but I can't remember right now.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Outfitted my Tama Rockstars with ebony pinstripes because they looked so cool. Thought I was having a hard time tuning them until I figured out that they were supposed to sound that way.
    I currently have those big, thick blue Evans heads on mine. The only reasons I bought them was for the color and durability. At the time, I had NO money and I was tired of having to buy drum heads every month or so. These things have lasted for YEARS, but boy they sound like a wet blanket.

User Info Menu

Who hasn't done this at some point?

This is something I don't miss about being a beginner and having no internet. There was no way to figure out your favorite heads without a lot of trial and error.

User Info Menu

When I worked for a major sound reinforcement company in the 70s, I did a 4-month tour with the Carpenters (among many other national acts).
    Cubby O'Brien was the drummer for this tour but as you know, Karen also played drums.
    During the show for this specific tour she played drums on only 2 or 3 songs.
    She had a simple 4-pc set-up and I really don't recall what they were but I do remember she had a Ludwig Supra as her snare drum.
    She used duct tape on all four edges of a shop rag taped down on the (ambo coated) batter..........it totally killed it.
    We miked it up and got a good sound out of it and ran it through a nice plate reverb.............nobody ever knew the difference.

As a side note, Cubby used the Ludwig Octa-Plus kit that was popular during that time.............we were using approximately 20 mikes in his kit and we had a 48-channel snake for that gig............he was running Ambos............and yes, we had it sounding very good.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)