Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious GAS.

User Info Menu

Default Serious GAS.

So. I went into the local GC... (I usually only go in there to browse, I rarely buy.) I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Less than two months ago when I purchased my kit, I just decided on my Gretsch because I wanted something nice but affordable in my drum space. I am not complaining about my set at all.. I just feel like I need a little more. When I got my set, I just thought "Eh, I'll use it at home.. it will be enough.. I won't be playing out or anything.." Now that's all changed.

I am wanting to get out there again and play out. I don't think my little Gretsch is what I want for that. Sure, it sounds nice, etc... but .. all I can think about is upgrading now.

So anyway, I was looking in GC and low and behold - DW Design 5 piece - AFFORDABLE... Tama Starclassic B/B Indigo Fade - AFFORDABLE. So.. I am sitting here thinking... omg... should I trade??

I asked the guy working about both kits... and he said, "I'd go with the Tama. The DW is nice, but that Tama has a better sound."

I was like...

I had to leave.

However, I did email the store manager and ask about a trade. I know..
    Last edited by Drumminchick; 08-05-2014 at 09:14 AM.
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Default Re: Serious GAS.

DW no Tama Yes all round great kit and sound is amazing and that is coming from a dye hard Ludwig drummer. I have played B/B kit and it would be my choise If I didn't play Ludwig. The Tamas will work for all types of music I feel. Some wont agree but that is that
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

What is the sound you get from a B/B? I assume it's a deeper, well-rounded tone? I've never really heard one...
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

If you trade, go for the Tama kit. I sat down and tapped the DW Design kit at a local music store and found it lacking any sustain or resonance. Could of been the stock heads but I wasn't impressed like I was when I tapped on the DW Performance kit that was set up next to it. You can't go wrong with the Tama SC B/B. There's a huge Tama following here. Marko138, Atomcorr2, Bish, Northern Redneck, dirtysticks, kaosotis and Yohin are just a few off the top of my head, that play Tama kits. Ask any of them about the SC's....

User Info Menu

Well, they also have a used Starclassic for a really good price... but it just says Starclassic. It doesn't say what kind of wood, etc. I guess I need to be reading up today.

I owned a Tama in the past. It was a Rockstar Custom in Black Orchid. I ended up trading it some years later for my Pearl Session Custom. It was a really heavy duty kit. That's all I remember really... it was a very long time ago.
    Kits:

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumminchick View Post
    What is the sound you get from a B/B? I assume it's a deeper, well-rounded tone? I've never really heard one...
    Here you go:

User Info Menu

Pass the popcorn.

User Info Menu

Well, they also have a used Starclassic for a really good price... but it just says Starclassic. It doesn't say what kind of wood, etc. I guess I need to be reading up today.

I owned a Tama in the past. It was a Rockstar Custom in Black Orchid. I ended up trading it some years later for my Pearl Session Custom. It was a really heavy duty kit. That's all I remember really... it was a very long time ago.
    IMO, the starclassic b/b absolutely smokes the dw design kits. B/Bs are deep and punchy. For that matter, I'd take a starclassic birch or maple over a dw design kit.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

There are two types of Tama StarClassic kits. The older Tama SC kits were made in Japan. These are the coveted kits. You can tell the difference by looking at the badging. The StarClassics that were made in Japan have the badges hand painted directly on the shell. The SC kits made in China have the badge attached. There is also a difference between the SC B/B and the SC Performer. If I'm not mistaken, I think the SC Performers are the less expensive of the two lines?

Made in Japan (MIJ) hand painted badge:

Made in China-attached badge:

User Info Menu

Didn't know I couldn't have links. Sigh. I couldn't get pictures to save from the site.
    Last edited by Drumminchick; 08-05-2014 at 12:36 PM.
    Kits:

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    There are two types of Tama StarClassic kits. The older Tama SC kits were made in Japan. These are the coveted kits. You can tell the difference by looking at the badging. The StarClassics that were made in Japan have the badges hand painted directly on the shell. The SC kits made in China have the badge attached. There is also a difference between the SC B/B and the SC Performer. If I'm not mistaken, I think the SC Performers are the less expensive of the two lines?

Made in Japan (MIJ) hand painted badge:

Made in China-attached badge:

I believe that one of the earlier versions of the performers was not made entirely of birch. It had some lower grade filler wood in the core of the shell.

Also, posting links to comercial sites is not allowed. You might want to take those down before getting chastised by the mods.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Didn't know. Took 'em down.
    Kits:

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

I too have fallen under the spell of the Tama Starclassic B/B.. the balance of attack/warmth .. excellent punch and tonal separation. A step beyond my Gretsch Renown Maple kit...

Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

I see you are using a metal snare with that kit.... does that come standard or is that the snare of your choice?
    Kits:

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Looks like a Ludwig Black Beauty Dave?

User Info Menu

Looks like a Ludwig Black Beauty Dave?
    I think it's actually a black magic.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    I think it's actually a black magic.
    Yep..good eye. I just noticed the badge.

User Info Menu

Yep..good eye. I just noticed the badge.
    The black die cast hoops and black tube lugs give it away too.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Yep, I see it now too. Good catch guys. I am starting to prefer wood snares over metal... the ring is smoother... funny how tastes change as we age.
    Kits:

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Don't trade in your current drum set via GC t seems like they will rip you off.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Yep, I see it now too. Good catch guys. I am starting to prefer wood snares over metal... the ring is smoother... funny how tastes change as we age.
    You should give the Ludwig Black Beauty (brass) a test drive. It will probably change your opinion on wood snares

User Info Menu

Or a 6.5 x14 supraphonic love at first hit
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

yep... it's a Ludwig Black Magic (the asian-made cousin of the Black Beauty). Mine is the black nickel over brass in 14"x7"... depending on the head, tuning, damping it can blend with anything. I keep thinking I'm going to buy a US Made Black beauty but that's more an issue of WANT than need.

Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    I believe that one of the earlier versions of the performers was not made entirely of birch. It had some lower grade filler wood in the core of the shell.

Also, posting links to comercial sites is not allowed. You might want to take those down before getting chastised by the mods.
    Early Starclassic Performers were Birch and Basswood, but that was a very limited run.

As for the badges, Late isn't entirely correct. My understanding is that ALL Performers have had metal badges, no matter where they were manufactured. The script painted logos are on the maple and bubinga kits (the "higher end" kits). All early SC's were made in Japan, don't know the exact year of the changeover, but I wouldn't worry about that.

I believe there was one year where the Performers had a decal under the clear coat and not a metal badge, but not positive about that.

Also, Tama rules. SC's are great kits.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Take it from a diehard DW guy, the Starclassic B/B is a superior kit to the Design. The B/B is a pro kit in every respect. I'm not real keen on the Design. If you could go up a little in cost to the Performance then I'd say DW. I just like all maple shells (preference). Pearl MCX is another kit I'd take over Design in that price range.GL
    Last edited by SunDog; 08-05-2014 at 11:41 PM.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass