Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ludwig restoration project: My journey to my dream kit

User Info Menu

Default Ludwig restoration project: My journey to my dream kit

Well I sold my C&C's, which gave me the funds to start a new drum project. I loved having those ginormous luan drums, but from the year I had them I learned how much I really desired the maple-drum sound. Not only that, but I realized how much I really wanted a mid-sized kit. I enjoyed the 14"-18"-24" setup, but it was not comfortable for me to play. Everything was so spread out. I never felt fully at home behind those drums. My old DW's were 10"-14"-20" which were a bit too small, so I finally learned that I wanted standard mid-sized drums. My friend has 4-5 various maple Ludwig kits in his studio. After using them extensively in different sessions I knew that those were the drums for me. They fit my style of playing so much more than my previous kits. 12"-16"-22" maple Ludwigs were my new goal.

Recently I acquired a set of 1973 Ludwig Rocker's for a stupid good price. 13x9 hi tom, 16x16 floor tom, 22x14 kick drum. I was shooting for a 12" tom, but I'm more than fine with the 13" (might actually prefer it). I honestly couldn't be more stoked about the sizes. Especially the kick, because I am a HUGE fan of the 14" debth on kicks (any deeper is a bit too much for me). The hardware and wrap aren't in great condition, but the shells themselves are in spectacular shape. Funny story, apparently the drums sat in front of a window unused for a couple years which faded the blue sparkle to to the greenish color.

For those who don't know, in those days Ludwig's lower-end kits were made with the same shells as their high-end kits. The difference was in the hardware. They didn't make the drums overseas, so it would be too cost inefficient to make multiple kinds of shells. The rockers had cheaper hardware, and the nicer drums had the large classic lugs/other higher-end hardware. The both had the 3-ply maple-poplar-maple shells.

So my gameplan:
    -Replace the hoops with new die-cast hoops
    -Put on standard 60's badges in place of the rocker badgers
    -Change the lugs to the large classic lugs (thankfully I won't have to re-drill new holes because they made both the cheap rocker lugs and the nicer classic lugs to be the same size)
    -re-wrap the drums in champagne sparkle (my old DW was a champagne sparkle which I think is simply the most classy wrap of all time)

I've acquired the hoops, 28 of the 48 lugs I need (waiting on an ebay auction to end in 5 days for the last 20.. Nobody outbid me please! haha), the 3 badges, and am ordering the wrap this Friday.

Essentially this kit will end up looking and sounding like a mid-60's Ludwig (only with a 70's reso head on the kick because I like the look better than the script).

Since the lugs and wrap will be a while, I wanted to make the drums useable in their current condition. I put the new hoops and new heads on tonight while we were studio-ing.

Woah. Just woah. These drums are exactly what I've wanted my C&C's to be the whole year I owned them. I can dig into them and they fight back in such a beautiful way. Such a thick and round sound while not being way too resonant. I put Remo vintage ambassadors on the toms and my goodness gracious I can't get enough. I found myself just hitting the toms over and over.

My friend has a 1962 Ludwig Super Classic that he acquired recently in PERFECT condition for a price that I don't even feel comfortable typing because I get too jealous. Probably the best deal he'll ever get in his life haha. We put my toms against his and we couldn't tell the difference between the two kits in a blind test. It makes sense because they're both the same 3-ply maple-poplar-maple shells with the exact same heads. This got me excited, because I've been obsessed with the sound of his drums ever since he got them.

So for the time being they look a little wonky, but the sound is gorgeous and they're playable. As long as nobody out-bids me on ebay, I'll have all of the parts in a week or so and will get to work. I'll be updating as time goes on.

This is what they look like in their current state:

Last edited by isaacvining; 08-14-2014 at 11:09 PM.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig restoration project: My journey to my dream kit

Edit: after further research, I'm not sure if these were actually "rockers" drums. They say 1973 inside and are maple-poplar-maple, but I'm having trouble finding out exactly what they might be called.

Edit #2: after further research, I've discovered my drums are actually Ludwig Standards. Guess I would have found that out if I looked at what the lugs actually said haha!
    Last edited by isaacvining; 08-14-2014 at 11:59 PM.
    Kits:

Snares:

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    Hats:

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Honestly, you say they look "wonky" but I think they look kinda neat. Very unique. I have a '76 Ludwig kit sitting in my drum room that I someday need to finish restoring. I have NO clue what series they are... but they are Black Diamond Pearl... a favorite of many, but not me! I'd like to rewrap them in a sparkle myself! I know yours are going to turn out awesome and I cannot wait to see the end product!
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Don't forget pics along the way to restoration.

User Info Menu

Awesome story. Do you have a certain finish in mind?

User Info Menu

Cool project and very rewarding.
    My first Ludwigs were the 1973 model.
    I had the QuadraPlus in mahogany finish (seen in the link).
    Here is the 1973 offering..............

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/ludw...sets_1973.html
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Nice Luddy Standards! Congrats! I don't think it's necessary to swap out lugs unless you do not like them. Get the finish you want and enjoy!

User Info Menu

I don't know for sure, and I'm certainly NOT a vintage drum or Ludwig expert....but if they are a wrapped shell, I'm guessing they have a mahogany outer ply (not Maple). I have an set of early '70s Ludwig orphan wrapped shells (clear Maple interiors w/rings) and they all have a mahogany outer ply. I believe they are 3ply maple/Gum/mahogany with re-rings. From what research I've done, the mahogany was superior to Maple in terms of holding the glue for a wrapped shell. Like I said, I could very well be wrong.

Even so, they could still be refinished and stained, as long as the outer plies are in good shape and the wood colors all match fairly close. I actually love the look of a nice Mahogany stained finish.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 08-15-2014 at 02:48 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Those were the days when manufacturing built products to last and be able to fix/upgrade stuff now manufactures are just wanting our $$$
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HolyChina View Post
    Those were the days when manufacturing built products to last and be able to fix/upgrade stuff now manufactures are just wanting our $$$
    Oh for real. I understand that now the companies have the financial capability to make everything cheaper, but shoot it'd be nice to go back to the days when even the "cheap" stuff was good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumminchick View Post
    Honestly, you say they look "wonky" but I think they look kinda neat. Very unique. I have a '76 Ludwig kit sitting in my drum room that I someday need to finish restoring. I have NO clue what series they are... but they are Black Diamond Pearl... a favorite of many, but not me! I'd like to rewrap them in a sparkle myself! I know yours are going to turn out awesome and I cannot wait to see the end product!
    I actually do too! I definitely want them to be all the same color, but for the time being they're not too bad!

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Awesome story. Do you have a certain finish in mind?
    Thank you. It is definitely going to be a champagne sparkle!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Cool project and very rewarding.
    My first Ludwigs were the 1973 model.
    I had the QuadraPlus in mahogany finish (seen in the link).
    Here is the 1973 offering..............

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/ludw...sets_1973.html
    Those are awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Nice Luddy Standards! Congrats! I don't think it's necessary to swap out lugs unless you do not like them. Get the finish you want and enjoy!
    I don't hate the standard lugs, but I aim to make this into my "dream" kit which includes the standard large lugs! They're gonna look FANCY.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I don't know for sure, and I'm certainly NOT a vintage drum or Ludwig expert....but if they are a wrapped shell, I'm guessing they have a mahogany outer ply (not Maple). I have an set of early '70s Ludwig orphan wrapped shells (clear Maple interiors w/rings) and they all have a mahogany outer ply. I believe they are 3ply maple/Gum/mahogany with re-rings. From what research I've done, the mahogany was superior to Maple in terms of holding the glue for a wrapped shell. Like I said, I could very well be wrong.

Even so, they could still be refinished and stained, as long as the outer plies are in good shape and the wood colors all match fairly close. I actually love the look of a nice Mahogany stained finish.
    After searching some more I'm fairly confident that they are the maple-poplar-maple, but it's kind of hard to tell with them being so old and with limited internet information. Thanks for the info though!

An update! Got the first 28 lugs and the badges in. By the morning I'll find out if I won the last 20 lugs or not. The wrap is cut and will be on its way in the morning. Will post more pics as things actually start to come together!
    Kits:

Snares:

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    Hats:

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HolyChina View Post
    I actually disagree. The lower end and mid priced stuff today is much better than it was in the 70's and 80's, and we have to keep in mind inflation.

My Tama Crestars were like $2,000 in 1986 when I got them, at least that's what I remember. That's the shell pack, hardware, and maybe a cymbal (but I think I had my cymbals from my previous Ludwig kit alread). In today's dollars, that's over $4,000, which would buy you a very high end drum set, the quality of which would match and probably surpass my Tama's.

I don't remember how much Ludwig's were in 1973 because I was 5, but let's guess at $400. That's the equivalent of over $2,000 today, which gets you a very solid set.

One area where the new stuff is markedly better, is hardware. The tom mounts, lugs, etc... are much better quality and easier to adjust than in the past.

Just my two cents.

That being said Isaac, sounds like you're going to have a great kit and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

My brother and I have talked for years about buying and sharing an older Ludwig kit, but most that aren't complete beaters are pricey.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    That being said Isaac, sounds like you're going to have a great kit and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

My brother and I have talked for years about buying and sharing an older Ludwig kit, but most that aren't complete beaters are pricey.
    Thanks so much, I'm very much excited.

I also have noticed how hard it is to find some super solid shells that aren't out of this world expensive. These drums fell into my lap very much out of nowhere, as a friend had had them in a basement for years and wanted some fast cash. I called dibs and that was that! It was perfect timing as my C&C's had JUST sold.

As of last night all of the lugs are ordered, so the last 20 should be showing up this week. If the wrap comes too, then I might just have some finished drums by the end of the weekend
    Kits:

Snares:

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    Hats:

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Well, Isaac. You inspired me and made me realize that I need to start my project... now. Why wait and spend money on another new kit when I have my own beauty just waiting for me? Thank you for your inspiration! We shall both post pictures as we go!
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumminchick View Post
    Well, Isaac. You inspired me and made me realize that I need to start my project... now. Why wait and spend money on another new kit when I have my own beauty just waiting for me? Thank you for your inspiration! We shall both post pictures as we go!
    That's so rad! Just realized it's your thread that I commented on a few minutes ago. Exactly, I have these drums, why spend money on a brand new kit when I can turn these into EXACTLY what I want. I'm a bit scared for the wrap process since I'm not very handy/good at working on that sort of thing, but It'll be a process that's for sure!
    Kits:

Snares:

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    Hats:

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

One thing yo beware of while acquiring the Ludwig hardware over the internet is that Ludwig offered their hardware with chrome or nickel plating. The nickel plating has a different, darker, less lustrous look and tarnishes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    One thing yo beware of while acquiring the Ludwig hardware over the internet is that Ludwig offered their hardware with chrome or nickel plating. The nickel plating has a different, darker, less lustrous look and tarnishes.
    I do believe I've noticed that in the difference in some of the lugs I've seen on ebay. I miiiight have ordered a couple lugs different than the others, but that doesn't bother me a whole lot.
    Kits:

Snares:

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    Hats:

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

I am not wrapping mine, Isaac. Unless the wood is bad underneath. Even then, I may decide to paint and lacquer. I don't know... So HARD to decide! I'll know more today when I get some of the wrap off. LOL I can't wait to see how your journey progesses!
    Kits:

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

A couple of things. Cheap stuff back in the day was really cheap as in poorly made with cheap material. That's why they call a lot of the 60's kits "Firewood Kits". They came under a lot of names and could look pretty cool. My friend bought one and it was gorgeous, but when I tried to help him tune it, the bearing edges were like they had been cut with a hacksaw. Even Bill Ludwig admitted that the reason Luddy's came with painted interiors was to hide the knots and bad wood grain.

Ok, now your the set in question, you should know that Ludwig Standards were a low price offering. That said, the cost cutting was done on the hardware end of things, not the shells. The shells are exactly the same as Ludwig Jazz Fests, a highly desired line of drums. If I could find a set of Standards in good shape, I wouldn't hesitate on picking them up. In fact, I own an aluminum Standard snare that is killer. They also made wood snares. So if these are indeed Standards, you have yourself a great project to work from, and there's not a lot of downside as far as ruining any collectible value because the market is fairly soft on Standards, although more and more drummers are becoming aware of the line and the prices are creeping upwards.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Ok, now your the set in question, you should know that Ludwig Standards were a low price offering. That said, the cost cutting was done on the hardware end of things, not the shells. The shells are exactly the same as Ludwig Jazz Fests, a highly desired line of drums. If I could find a set of Standards in good shape, I wouldn't hesitate on picking them up. In fact, I own an aluminum Standard snare that is killer. They also made wood snares. So if these are indeed Standards, you have yourself a great project to work from, and there's not a lot of downside as far as ruining any collectible value because the market is fairly soft on Standards, although more and more drummers are becoming aware of the line and the prices are creeping upwards.
    After all the research I found it is definitely a set of Standards. So stoked. I've been playing them every chance I can get into my friend's studio (that's where they are currently set up) and every single time I can't help but just get so stoked. I adore the sound of these drums. I'm so anxious to get them looking all fancy.

The front 70's logo head came in yesterday. Gonna try to port it tonight and get it on the drum. I have a show Sunday and I don't think all of the stuff will be here in time, so i'm going to play the drums as-is at the show. I'm ecstatic to get these under mics!
    Kits:

Snares:

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    Hats:

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

The wrap should be here tomorrow! I don't think we'll be able to get it all put together by the gig Sunday so I decided to throw the new head on there for now.

Guys, Ludwig maple drums sound incredible.

Kits:

Snares:

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    Hats:

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Wow, the badges too? What do the badges date back to?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Wow, the badges too? What do the badges date back to?
    Unfortunately I don't believe the Standard badges played along the dating scheme like the other badges did.

However, I'm replacing them with 60's style when they get re-wrapped!
    Kits:

Snares:

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    Hats:

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

The wrap showed up! It's a little pink-er than I wish but I think that's on par with the normal ludwig champagne-sparkle/the light of my room. Regardless, DANG these drums are going to be pretty. Work starts Monday!

Kits:

Snares:

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    Hats:

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post

Here's something interesting. According to this source, my '68 might actually be a '67 series kit. The outer ply is definately mahogany and the interior is white. In October/Novemeber of '68 Ludwig made a change to maple/poplar/maple and interiors were granitone.

User Info Menu

Used the drums tonight. Wooooah.

At first I had a bit of trouble getting the high-tom to ring as much as I wanted, as I was playing with only a kick mic and overheads so I really wanted them to sound big, but I eventually got it to a great sweet spot.

Maple drums are so much dang fun to play.

I did notice the the floor tom legs aren't long enough to get the drum where I want it (I do sit rather high). Not sure what I'm going to do about that.

I snuck a quick shot right before we played:
    Kits:

Snares:

Rides: