Thread: Band Camp this week

User Info Menu

Default Band Camp this week

Hey guys this is going to be my final high school band camp. What was your last band camp like for those who were in band in school. Any good pranks I should pull that won't get myself or the director or program in trouble?
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Band Camp this week

Disclaimer: DO NOT DO THIS

We actually went to a camp in the mountains back in the day. I know a lot of schools just hold a week of rehearsals at the campus these days. One night, we had a talent show in the lodge. It was full of the expected boring tuba solos and other instrument based performances. I had other plans though. I put together a show consisting of 4 of my good looking drummer friends (one went on to be Homecoming King, which was unheard of having a band freak beat out guys on the football team). I had them wear disco clothes and wait in the wings. The music started, YMCA by the Village People, and they came out dancing. Not just dancing, but mock strip tease dancing (see disclaimer at top). The crowd was going NUTS! They were over the top playing this up. So one by one, the shoes came of, then the shirts, then the Angel's Flight pants (you youngsters can Google that), revealing the goofiest, wildest boxer shorts that I had given them. Big ol' red hearts on one pair, smiley faces on another, etc... So the crowd is now out of control. The 4 guys line up side by side and continue their goofy dancing in their oversized goofy boxers, and I enter with one of the freshmen carrying a large sign that reads "CENSORED". We step in front and with the sign strategically placed, the audience can see the boxers fall to the ground at the feet of my dancing buddies. They kick them into the audience and we dance off the stage to the closing section of Y....M....C...A....

It was a different world back then and we got away with it virtually unscathed. Did I mention the disclaimer at the top????

User Info Menu

that would be perfect for skit night and we go to a camp at my school. and yes this is definitely a different era. will not be duplicating it but the censored sign sounds like a funny joke thing to do.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

We used to put the freshmen in trash cans and roll them down hills. Hahahaha. Now that I am older, that just sounds so mean.
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

No suggestions. But I sure do miss band camp. I might drive out and see how the kids and my old director are doing this week. Maybe see if he needs some instructional help.
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple
    Tama Starclassic Performer

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles
    Oregon Crusaders (DCI) 09 - bass 4
    OC Indoor (WGI) '10 - Snare 3rd place PIO
    OC Indoor (WGI) '11 - Snare PIW FINALIST!
    University of Oregon marching band '09 '10 '11 - Snare

User Info Menu

Well, we put someone in a tuba case once...

User Info Menu

ya well lets say my roommates pranked a room that we knew could hand it (axe bomb). And turned it around where we weren't enemies and we got it too. Long funny story we didn't get in trouble they did all was well in the end. Now the prank I did do was approved by my band director ( I needed her cooperation) was my room didn't show up to rehearsal after a 5 min break and we came back while they were doing basics and soaked people and everyone came away laughing and wanted more!
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

on the last night of band practice take off your shirts and wear short shorts

User Info Menu

Go to Toy's R Us (or anywhere they sell cheap walkie-talkies) and get like three or four sets (all the same brand). That way all the walkie-talkies will be on the same frequency.

Pass those out to every other room and you will be able to have an instant chat and informant line. And if you are brave enough, you can sneak into the other rooms that have walkie-talkies (just let them know you're coming). Make sure you know where the Chaperones are.... don't get busted.

Also, play strip Uno. Easy rules: the person with the most cards in hand has to remove 1 item.