Thread: Evans REMAD

User Info Menu

Default Evans REMAD

Hi All,

Just thought I'd mention that I've just put an Evans REMAD reso head on my DW 20" bass drum. I've been living with the stock DW reso head since I got my kit, but wanted to try something different. I have an EMAD 2 batter head on the drum. I was surprised at the difference in sound. I've had several folks here write that the stock DW head is one of the best around, and perhaps it's my mind hearing the difference, but I swear there is a significantly improved thump with the REMAD in place. Love the 5" pre-cut port with the foam ring. I think it's cool. Now, all I'm waiting for is the DW sticker to put on it when that arrives (yes, I'm proud enough to want to show that they're DWs, even though the kit never leaves my music room)!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans REMAD

Is it this one?

User Info Menu

Yes, sir, that's it.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I thought the name was a little funny sounding at first, had to google to see if there was really a head called "remad". Nice though, i'm guessing it's a re-vamp of one of their other resonant heads?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I used the EMAD reso for a while. I didn't care for it b/c that foam ring fell apart on me pretty quickly. I went to the EQ3 which has a dampening ring around the perimeter of the head and no foam ring. I like it much better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I used the EMAD reso for a while. I didn't care for it b/c that foam ring fell apart on me pretty quickly. I went to the EQ3 which has a dampening ring around the perimeter of the head and no foam ring. I like it much better.
    That's been the major complaint about the foam ring around the port, flimsy. The EQ3 is an great head. I used both batter and reso and they sound fantastic!

User Info Menu

Yep, I had one and the ring started to split due to the vibration and aging process. It began to produce a noticeable rattle. They shipped me a replacement and I believe the same thing happened. I don't know where that head is now...

I like the Aquarian Regulator as a reso, but not with a Kickport becasue the inner foam ring gets in the way.

User Info Menu

What if you used tape to secure the foam ring to the head? Would it become more of a stable and consistent head soundwise?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    What if you used tape to secure the foam ring to the head? Would it become more of a stable and consistent head soundwise?
    In my opinion, with the head costing just north of $40 USD, it shouldn't have to be modded to hold up during play...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    In my opinion, with the head costing just north of $40 USD, it shouldn't have to be modded to hold up during play...
    Totally agree. The foam ring on those is junk, flat out.