Thread: 14" zbt crash as hi hat top.

User Info Menu

Default 14" zbt crash as hi hat top.

Don't do it. It sounds like crap.

My Sabian Pro hi hat top copped a crack during a band prac so I headed down to my local drum shop to try and grab a cheap replacement. Grabbed the crash for 45 bucks, tried it out last night at band prac, sounds high pitched and yuck. The edge had a couple of dents from where I was hitting as well and I didn't really hit too hard. I reckon I'll just keep using the original hi hat top, crack and all. Sounds infinitely better.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Default Re: 14" zbt crash as hi hat top.

Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    Don't do it. It sounds like crap.

My Sabian Pro hi hat top copped a crack during a band prac so I headed down to my local drum shop to try and grab a cheap replacement. Grabbed the crash for 45 bucks, tried it out last night at band prac, sounds high pitched and yuck. The edge had a couple of dents from where I was hitting as well and I didn't really hit too hard. I reckon I'll just keep using the original hi hat top, crack and all. Sounds infinitely better.
    If you want a temporary replacement hi hat bottom cymbals can be used as a top hat - they can be a bit clangy but if you are playing rock/metal its sometimes ok and it would definitely outlive a ZBT crash.
    I'm not sure about the situation in Australia but here in the UK used Sabian Pro/Pro Sonix/B8 Pro cymbals are always available on eBay pretty cheap - if you are happy with Sabian Pro hats hopefully you will be able to pick up a replacement pair without breaking the bank. If you do keep the old bottom hat as a spare in case it happens again.
    I often use a Stagg SH 14" crash as a top hat for relatively quiet practice at home - oddly enough it sounds good to me as a (quiet) top hat although it would be useless for anything else, but as a crash it makes me shudder. I expect it will crack soon - I won't miss it.

User Info Menu

Default Re: 14" zbt crash as hi hat top.

Used hi-hats of that quality are common everywhere here too as well as individual tops and bottoms. Hopefully you can return that crash?