Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bringing a Speed King back up to speed

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bringing a Speed King back up to speed

so how does it play, are you happy with it.
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Better than the Pearl Demon? Wow!
    Great job!
    Well.... obviously the Demon is far superior in terms of adjustability and durability. It's also $300 brand new. I'm sure that most of you guys and gals on here would prefer the Demon. I'm not really that good of a drummer, so for me and my style of playing, the old SK feels extremely similar. In fact, I think it feels a little better when I try to play softer and quicker beats. I play heel-up and tend to rest the beater against the head in such situations. This old SK suits my playing style and needs just as well as the Demon....for a total investment of around $40. Thankfully, I only paid $99 for the Demon on clearance. Otherwise I would be upset, LOL.

I doubt that anything I did was an improvement over what the SK was like when brand new. However, it definitely feels way better now than in the worn state it was in. It really has given me new respect for the classics.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Looks great!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Over the weekend I was rummaging through some of my old drum gear that I had put in storage long ago and discovered one of my old Speed King pedals in a box of old DW 5000 single and double pedals. This thread has inspired me to consider restoring that old pedal for nostalgic reasons.

Thanks for taking the time to document your restoration process.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    Over the weekend I was rummaging through some of my old drum gear that I had put in storage long ago and discovered one of my old Speed King pedals in a box of old DW 5000 single and double pedals. This thread has inspired me to consider restoring that old pedal for nostalgic reasons.

Thanks for taking the time to document your restoration process.
    I hope you take that up!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I have always wanted to add a footplate to my Speed King but I don't want to screw it up.So I found an old Ludwig Standard pedal to experiment on.I cleaned it up,greased it up ,and.added an adjustable bearing arm for the spring.I had an old footplate so i drilled a few holes and put all together.It works pretty good!I still have to work on the heel/pivot thingy.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums