Thread: Diy "hang-drum"

User Info Menu

Default Diy "hang-drum"

Hi!
    Just want to share my DIY Hand-drum.My friend give me 8 pcs empty Refrigerant Tank for my drum project.I spoil 2 pcs(wrongly cut!!!).all together I made 6 of them(friends can drop by & try out for fun!)

Here's a short video demo!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

User Info Menu

Default Re: Diy "hang-drum"

That would be an interesting instrument to take to a jam session. They look very nice.

User Info Menu

WOW! That was beyond awesome Peter!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

The sound reminds me of a HAPI Drum, sort of an alternate take on the Hang drum. Cool!

User Info Menu

That is why you won the Internet today, Wonder1! I'm dying to try one of those. What kind of paint were the black ones done with, by the way?
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Hi,Drumbledore!
    I'm using Krystal Brand Aerosol paint(Flat Black). It look cool with this colour!

User Info Menu

Outstanding use of the tanks Peter. What process did you use to create the fundamental base for the pitch or desired key in which the drum is tuned? Thanks...

User Info Menu

Hi,Late8
    I just use this very simple/slow method(for myself).I had a keyboard near me, with the Jig-saw,hand Drill & sand paper.Just saw it MM by MM(not CM) for example when I need to tune the key "A" for my 1st note on my hang-drum.I will 1st drill a hole that easy for the Jig-saw blade to go in(I find this method easy for me to cut straight plus don't break the saw!)just little by little until i get the correct "A" pitch. then I move on second one & repeat the same thing.it take about one hour 30 min to complete the job!(have to relax and take a real small step at a time!) the 2 second one I fail, just because i want to rush and overly cut and the "Tunning" is out!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wonder1 View Post
    Hi,Late8
    I just use this very simple/slow method(for myself).I had a keyboard near me, with the Jig-saw,hand Drill & sand paper.Just saw it MM by MM(not CM) for example when I need to tune the key "A" for my 1st note on my hang-drum.I will 1st drill a hole that easy for the Jig-saw blade to go in(I find this method easy for me to cut straight plus don't break the saw!)just little by little until i get the correct "A" pitch. then I move on second one & repeat the same thing.it take about one hour 30 min to complete the job!(have to relax and take a real small step at a time!) the 2 second one I fail, just because i want to rush and overly cut and the "Tunning" is out!
    That's amazing Peter!! Thanks for sharing your process in which you create the notes. I appreciate the your effort even more now that I discovered how painstakingly tough it must of been to finish one tank.

User Info Menu

Wow Peter! This is by far the coolest thing I have seen or heard today, thank you so much for sharing it!
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

Thanks alot THE EPSICLE!

User Info Menu

Looks Great!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Diy "hang-drum"

What a job, considering you also had to safely dispose of whatever was left inside those tanks! Outstanding work, man!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

yeah for sure awesome job!

User Info Menu

WOW, if I did not know your history I would not believe it. That is very impressive. How did you purge those tanks before cutting into them? That R-410a is flammable?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Mr.MDK & Bongobro!
    Well, to be honest, I'm also feel abit scare when i start this project."Whay happen if it Explore!!!" that's the 1st thought that I had in my mine.after talking to my friend(who gave me all those Tanks)he say,make sure you release all those "gas" inside the tank.That's how i follow his instrustion. I remove the Valve, after that fill it with water with Dishwashing liquid, once it full, turn it upside down and drain out the water(reapeat it 2 times).after that, I can start the project!
    Peter

User Info Menu

Very creative. I always enjoy looking at drums that you have built. Thanks for sharing t he pictures and video too.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Hi,Gonefishin!
    Thanks alot!