Thread: Recording a play along

User Info Menu

Default Recording a play along

Say you wanted to record yourself on video while playing along to your ipod...

What setup do you need to get your mic'd drums to be recorded, along with the ipod tune but have it synchronized to your video camera without using the camera's mic (in fact i want it muted). If I can push it further, can I put a metronome in it too?

Can a mixer do all that? What hardware is necessary for this? What's the wiring sequence/setup for this?

I'm assuming I need the ff:
    Mics on the drums
    Multi channel mixer
    ipod
    metronome with an output

What am I missing?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording a play along

I just have a old mixer, It doesn't even have phantom power. I run all the mics into the mixer, and the music into the mixer, set all the levels, then out of the mixer into the video recorder.

User Info Menu

"Into" the video recorder? I don't think I've ever come accross a camcorder with an "input". Am I missing something here?

User Info Menu

Quite a few video and digital video cameras have separate input. The Go Pro's have an adapter, the Kodak Zi8 also has a separate input. When choosing a video recorder, it is one of the first features I look for.

Stuart

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuiCeeAddict View Post
    "Into" the video recorder? I don't think I've ever come accross a camcorder with an "input". Am I missing something here?
    I purposefully bought a Kodak Zi8 camera due to it's aux. mic input. Way better than any on board mic. If you go to any video retailer website, there are a ton of aftermarket mics that are designed for video cameras so I think an aux. mic input may be more common than you would think.

That said, I did an A/B comparison of not only the aftermarket Sony mic, into the Kodak vs. a dedicated audio recorded, in this case the ZOOM H1. I found that not only was the sound quality better on the H1 using its on board mics, it was also better when running a direct line into the two units.

The difference is a bit subtle, but the camera just didn't pick up the warmth of the toms. Very crisp, but not as deep. Of course good headphones or speakers make a difference.

Last edited by xsabers; 08-29-2014 at 11:26 AM.

User Info Menu

A tad confused here...

So how do I record the video AND have the ipod tune being recorded together with my playing?

User Info Menu

listen to the ipod with headphones whilst playing

then overlay the track in software after you have recorded the video

User Info Menu

Ohhhh software necessary. I see...