Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dream Theater

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dream Theater

I turn 51 in October, I have 6 or 7 Dream Theatre CD's. If it was not not for them I may not have discovered Avenged Sevenfold, who have become pretty well my favourite band now. Portnoy did an excellent job on Nightmare, filling the shoes of an awesome talent "the Rev", who to me is (was, he lives on in his recordings) such a great drummer.
    So old dudes like it too.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    I turn 51 in October, I have 6 or 7 Dream Theatre CD's. If it was not not for them I may not have discovered Avenged Sevenfold, who have become pretty well my favourite band now. Portnoy did an excellent job on Nightmare, filling the shoes of an awesome talent "the Rev", who to me is (was, he lives on in his recordings) such a great drummer.
    So old dudes like it too.
    I loved the stuff MP did with A7X. A7X is my wife's favorite band. I didn't get to see them with MP behind the kit. But their new drummer is awesome.

User Info Menu

Has Portnoy been replaced in A7X? Is there a new album after Nightmare? If so, guess I am going shopping.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    Has Portnoy been replaced in A7X? Is there a new album after Nightmare? If so, guess I am going shopping.
    Yep, MP was only temporary. Their new "permanent" drummer is a young kid named Arin Ilejay. He's quite good. They put out an album with him on drums a year ago. It's pretty solid.

User Info Menu

Regardless what you personally feel for progressive music, both Portnoy and Magini are fantastic musicians.

For me, Mangini is a machine. I know of no other drummer who can come close to his abilities. He's not my favourite drummer (I much prefer groove) but he has trained to such a degree that, as another contributor points out, the listener is fooled in to thinking a machine is playing at times simply because we cannot believe a mere human could be capable of the speed, power and timing Mangini demonstrates. That could also be a reason why people wouldn't like Prog though.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Does anyone know what Portnoy's up to now?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Does anyone know what Portnoy's up to now?
    http://www.thewinerydogs.com/
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Wow, I had no idea!

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Wow, I had no idea!
    I saw them in a small club in May.............killer show.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I saw them in a small club in May.............killer show.
    Nice

-Mike

User Info Menu

I also saw them (Winery Dogs) in July and was blown away. What a great band and a great show.

User Info Menu

I wish portnoy still used the Mirage Monster. It was great when other drummers played with him live.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    I also saw them (Winery Dogs) in July and was blown away. What a great band and a great show.
    Check out this vid.............they open their set with this song.
    Watch until the end to see the best drum licks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnMBix9Zq5o
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Yesterday I picked up the just released Breaking the fourth wall , live at the Boston opera house bluray DVD. After watching it I was just completely blown away. Just an incredible show and I can honestly say I think Mike Mangini is the best drummer in the world right now. His performance on this DVD is outstanding , even better then Luna Park.

http://youtu.be/MA29VIxCWo8

User Info Menu

I am so gonna fully regret being in Japan and not see them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Yesterday I picked up the just released Breaking the fourth wall , live at the Boston opera house bluray DVD. After watching it I was just completely blown away. Just an incredible show and I can honestly say I think Mike Mangini is the best drummer in the world right now. His performance on this DVD is outstanding , even better then Luna Park.

http://youtu.be/MA29VIxCWo8
    I couldn't help but to smile through the whole solo. amazing!

-Mike

User Info Menu

Yes sir, that solo was pretty cool. He did quite a lot of stuff that I have been working on. Stuff I wonder, is this going anywhere, yeah it is hard to do, but it is not there yet as far as sounding cool, will it ever? Then hearing Mangini taking it over the hump for me is really freaking cool.

User Info Menu

That solo was brilliant. So tight. His technique is impeccable and he is still so musical, IMO, with the multitude of voices he is surrounded by. Love the song in general, too. Needed another or longer keyboard solo. Rudess is my favorite DT keys player by far.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Saw this today. Amazing!!

Instrumedley live at modern drummer festival 2003

Last edited by FlyByNight; 02-01-2015 at 10:49 PM.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I love the guitarist Steve Morse - when he plays with bands, that is. He has a song called "Too Many Notes," and that's the problem I have with him when he does purely instrumental work. The notes come rushing forth like a oncoming train, but it's all so dense that after a few minutes it becomes a blur. But put him in a band (Deep Purple or Kansas, for instance) and he's forced to condense his incredible talent into meaningful passages that makes songs soar to the heights.

I love the drummer Mike Portnoy - when he plays with bands like the Winery Dogs. In this context I'm simply blown away by his fills and his ability to drive a band - hard. But Dream Theater, with some of the most talented musicians alive today, just plays , well, too many notes for my taste. As a few others have mentioned, after a few minutes of DT I just sort of zone out.

I admit that I'm old school when it comes to song structures. In my mind, no matter what you do in a composition, there should be a song in there somewhere that sticks in your mind the first time you hear it. They used to call it a "hook," and as long as that hook is a great one, it doesn't matter if you burn all around it, or accompany it with tidley winks, the song will be a keeper.

Just my opinion, but Mr. Portnoy just seems to have a lot more fun - and play much better - in the Winery Dogs type of band. Proceed, Mr. Portnoy. I like what you're doing.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

OK Go ahead and flame me. I can't say that I've ever listened to them.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    OK Go ahead and flame me. I can't say that I've ever listened to them.

all the best...
    Surprisingly, not many people have. Might be worth checking out though!

-Mike

User Info Menu

Yeah, I know very few people who have even heard of them sadly.

User Info Menu

I like to be an open minded guy and I can listen to almost anything in small doses, but progressive rock just seems to tire me.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I like to be an open minded guy and I can listen to almost anything in small doses, but progressive rock just seems to tire me.
    Here you go kay-gee............see if you are tired after this.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JauQOgl4cR0
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian