Thread: people like mike ...

User Info Menu

Default people like mike ...

do you think people like mike portney, neil peart, daneil adair and all those great drummers out there have a life? Im not saying this in an offensive manner towards them in any way by any means. I just mean, do you think the majority of there time is consumed by keep up there chops ?

User Info Menu

Cool people like mike...

...no more so than a football player keeping on top of his game, or a best-selling author editing and re-editing and re-re-editing his manuscript before haulin' it to the publisher...

I would think, however, the great ones have the discipline to work on their chops and they make it part of their routine, just as they'd brush their teeth or take a shower or anything else...and if they have a passion for what they do, man, it's not an interruption between other important things, they just do it...

The truly great ones know how to balance everything...nothing gets obsessed over nor overlooked...

great question, dude!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

thanks man, iv been wonderin that for awhile.

User Info Menu

yeah, i'de have to agree wtih BBro. also, once it's built up they don't need to practise as much as when trying to build up. It's like once you know HOW to do a paradiddle and can do ti, you don't have to try so hard from that point on to do it. So early on it took ages of practise to get it right (i'm just using a paradiddle as an exmaple). When you finally got it though, no longer such a problem so less time was needed to devote to keep it going and enhance it or maintian it. know what i mean?
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

id say it probably comes naturally after so many years, just like riding a bike

User Info Menu

that was an exallent analogy plundger

User Info Menu

Lafirin, just keep in mind that whatever you truly love becomes a part of your life. All a guy needs to think about is how a special girl doesn't take away from his life, she becomes a very special part of it.

Drumming would be like that for the greats.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Lafirin, just keep in mind that whatever you truly love becomes a part of your life. All a guy needs to think about is how a special girl doesn't take away from his life, she becomes a very special part of it. .
    until you get married

User Info Menu

LOL Good one Funky!!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!