Thread: New LP Matador bongos -a tuning problem cured

User Info Menu

Default New LP Matador bongos -a tuning problem cured

I bought a brand new set of LP Matador bongos -made in Taiwan, 'Siam' Oak shells, preformed calf (?) heads from one of our reputable big box music retailer here in Vancouver BC Canada.
    I couldn't get the macho (7 1/4") side to tune up to produce a nice high tone pop. It would go up so high and just refused to get any higher no matter how tight I made the tuning nuts. I am a multi instrumentalist and always do my own setup and maintenance when ever possible.
    So in my quest to learn more about bongo mechanics and materials, I removed the rim to investigate. When I lifted the skin I felt a definite resistance on one side before it came off with a little pop. On examining the underside of the skin I found stain and lacquer (or what ever the finish is) stuck to the inner surface of the head where it contacts the shell. Obviously a bit too much haste mounting the skin after the staining and spraying operation at the factory. It probably wasn't complete dry.
    I figured that the enough of the outer rim of the skin was sticking so much that it wouldn't stretch enough to tune up to a high tone.
    I scraped and carefully sanded with fine grit all traces of the shell finish, applied a light rub of paraffin wax to the top of the shell where the skin contacts (I don't know if this was necessary but I wanted to make sure to provide a good slippery surface to the top rim of the shell).
    Remounted the head and voila the head tune up as high as I wanted it, nice pop from the macho drum now!

User Info Menu

Default Re: New LP Matador bongos -a tuning problem cured

Good thinking! Who knows, there could be hundreds of bongos out there with the same problem. People might be searching for an answer and you figured it out.

User Info Menu

My guess is if it's happened once, it's probably happened to a lot more factory bongo sets as well.

User Info Menu

it is not unusual for a natural hide to stick to a drum shell even if the the finish is completely dry and the the bearing edge has been waxed. (BTW the wax servers two purposes: one to lubricate the bearing edge and two to help prevent water from the hide to seep into the wood.) I always allow the skin to completely dry for 2-3 days and then press in the middle of the head. Usually you will hear a loud pop as the skin breaks away from the bearing edge. Then I tune.

User Info Menu

Saludos, the problem with any mass produce Bongos are those water buffalo chemically over treated skins which will never produce the desire tone, specially when they mount a paper thin on the hembra. on the matador is worse because you can not even call what they put on as skins. However, the matador with the correct skins will have an excellent sound. I use remo skindeep on the Macho and you can use a thick cow, mule, steer on the hembra that way you get high pop and a deep bass.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: New LP Matador bongos -a tuning problem cured

Quote Originally Posted by mapperboy View Post
    I bought a brand new set of LP Matador bongos -made in Taiwan, 'Siam' Oak shells, preformed calf (?) heads from one of our reputable big box music retailer here in Vancouver BC Canada.
    I couldn't get the macho (7 1/4") side to tune up to produce a nice high tone pop. It would go up so high and just refused to get any higher no matter how tight I made the tuning nuts. I am a multi instrumentalist and always do my own setup and maintenance when ever possible.
    So in my quest to learn more about bongo mechanics and materials, I removed the rim to investigate. When I lifted the skin I felt a definite resistance on one side before it came off with a little pop. On examining the underside of the skin I found stain and lacquer (or what ever the finish is) stuck to the inner surface of the head where it contacts the shell. Obviously a bit too much haste mounting the skin after the staining and spraying operation at the factory. It probably wasn't complete dry.
    I figured that the enough of the outer rim of the skin was sticking so much that it wouldn't stretch enough to tune up to a high tone.
    I scraped and carefully sanded with fine grit all traces of the shell finish, applied a light rub of paraffin wax to the top of the shell where the skin contacts (I don't know if this was necessary but I wanted to make sure to provide a good slippery surface to the top rim of the shell).
    Remounted the head and voila the head tune up as high as I wanted it, nice pop from the macho drum now!
    Great job! Welcome aboard, mapperboy, and thanks for sharin' that input with our brother and sister skin-slappers!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I actually replaced my bongos with Matadors recently and had the same issues. Although I'm getting synthetic heads anyways so this shouldn't be a problem (I bought these bongos used and one head was actually cracked, so I got a great deal).