Thread: Smells like teen spirit

User Info Menu

Default Smells like teen spirit

Ok the chorus and intro part to smells like teen spirit by nirvana, how hard is it. the verse and bridge part is grand but the chorus and intro seems hard, is it? i was gonna attempt learn it tonight

User Info Menu

Nah, it's not hard. Nothing Nirvana did was hard. Don't get me wrong, Dave Grohl is a BRILLIANT drummer, but Nirvana was just so straight forward and because he is so good, he played what suited the songs. It's just a simple synocapted 4/4 using the crash, kick and snare. that's it. i don't even think he uses any toms for the fills, it's all straight single stroke rolls on the snare. Smells Like Teen Spirit is probably one of the most basic songs.

However IF your a beginner, then the syncopated beat may seem a little hard at first, but it doesn't take long to figure out the rhythm.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Smells like teen spirit is the first song I've learned :D . The intro is kinda hard but not impossible.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

If you slow it down when listening to it you will realise that its not very hard. Im convinced you can do it!

LISTEN, LISTEN LISTEN until you KNOW what the beat is.

Then try to play it SLOWLY behind the kit.

When you can do it slow and in time, try to gradually speed it up untill you are at the same tempo as the song.

When you think you got the beat down quick enough, put the CD on and play along.

Hope that helps and good luck learning the song!
    Last edited by vinnysimmo; 10-09-2007 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Cos i can't speel the word "GOOD".

User Info Menu

i know what hes doing with the snare and kick. but what is he doing with his hi hat? (at the intro fill) the hi hat is delayed or something.

User Info Menu

^ something like that
    um I've got that intro written on my music notebook but I don't know how to write tabs <_<;
    Paiste Posse
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    ^ something like that
    um I've got that intro written on my music notebook but I don't know how to write tabs <_<;

I would recommend learning notation. It will be beneficial to your understanding of music.

I can read drum notation a little, but its my main weakness.

User Info Menu

If you mean sheet music, ive no idea about that. i know how to read the tabs you get on the internet but not sheet music

User Info Menu

Yeah, i mean sheet music, you wont regret it!

User Info Menu

well im learning by ear so i presume id need a teacher, which is hard to come by in my area lol

User Info Menu

The bit on the intro...
    It's a roll between the bass drum and snare, starting on the bass drum. 10 notes.
    On the second note the hi hats come in and do 3 beats I think.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    i don't even think he uses any toms for the fills, it's all straight single stroke rolls on the snare
    There is a tom in there. It's used once in the song in the chorus/verse bridge

User Info Menu

i've been trying to learn the intro, and i noticed that one guy said if i can slow down the song and listen to it. is their a program i can download on the internet to play songs and be able to slow them down?

sorry if this is a stupid question, but i even looked up the definition of the word syncopated, but i still don't understand what it is. if somebody can kinda explain what it means i would be so thankfull.
    Last edited by blahblah9; 10-17-2007 at 04:05 PM.

User Info Menu

BB9, a syncopated beat is one where the emphasis is not where one would normally expect it. For instance, if the bass is normally played on the 1 and the 3 beats, a syncopated rhythm might play the bass beat on the & of 1, nad the & of 3. This would make the emphasis one eigth note off the expected emphasis.

Here's an article off the internet that might help. It has a diagram that might help you see it. http://cnx.org/content/m11644/latest/
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

the intro goes like a flam on the snare, bass drum then hi-hat

HH|--X---X---X-----|
    Sd|f---f---f---f---|
    Bd|-o-o-o-o-o-o--o-|

F = flam, like both your hands hitting the snare.
    Paiste Posse
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

User Info Menu

oh okay, thanks alot, the flam was throwing me off on that part for sure. i thought in youtube videos it look like they was hitting the snare with both sticks, but on fast parts its really hard to actually see if what their hitting because it blurrs out. or at least i can't really tell lol. i hadn't really when practing that part, i've been trying to get the next part down after that, i can do the stick parts really good, i just can't seem to add in the kick bass. that is the really hard part for me, is trying to get my foot and hands at the same time to do what i want it too.

User Info Menu

While practicing, dividing your body rather than trying to get it all to work like it should, that won't work. Just keep the steady beat going on your hi hat and then once you've got the static feel of it, add in the kick where it should be placed, and then snare. Take you time man, you'll get it down. This song really isn't difficult to play, but it's really fun once you get it all.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

i can do this

H |x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-|x-x-x-x-x-x-x-o-|x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-|x-x-x-x-x-x-x-o-|
    S |----o-------o---|----o-------o---|----o-------o---|----o-------o---|
    B |o-o-----o-o-----|o-o-----o-o-----|o-o-----o-o-----|o-o-----o-o-----|
    (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + |1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + |1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + |1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + )

its this i can't get down

C |X---------------|X---------------|X---------------|X---------------|
    H |----o---o---o---|----o---o---o---|----o---o---o---|----o---o---o---|
    S |----o--o-o--o---|----o--o-o--o---|----o--o-o--o---|----o--o-o--o---|
    B |o--o----o-oo--o-|o--o----o-oo--o-|o--o----o-oo--o-|o--o----o-oo--o-|
    (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + |1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + |1 +

User Info Menu

it is a kinda weird beat, but just sit down, and start slowly, then get it faster, then get it it the speed of the song.

User Info Menu

focus on your weakness, if your having trouble with the intro, practice that one more. and don't rush it, music isn't a race enjoy it at your own pace. Youll get better dont worry
    Paiste Posse
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

User Info Menu

its not a hard song to play once you learn it but some of the stuff can be different in it. when i fist tryed to play it i was like .:huh:. but then i tured my metrinome down to 50 and it was much easyer then i uped it ten at a time
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

that the way to do it, do wat davie does, i do that for rudiments, it works ery well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    it is a kinda weird beat, but just sit down, and start slowly, then get it faster, then get it it the speed of the song.

exactly .I cant tell you how often i get frustrated but as soon as I slow things way down,,it just gets allot easier...thats always been my key and now its my new catch phrase..SLOW IT DOWN

User Info Menu

Good catch phrase, Aunkster!!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I know this seems obvious but sing how it goes in your head, it really helps. Tap it out on something with your hands, just so you've got how they go.

And the bridge is the best fun to play, that intro crash/bass drum sound is awesome.