Thread: Help me choose an electronic drum kit!

User Info Menu

Default Help me choose an electronic drum kit!

So, I was like 100% sold on the Alesis DM10 mesh kit (2014), but it doesn't ship to the US (where my family lives) or Japan (where I live) so I regrettably gave up on it. This launched me into searching for the next best thing. The criteria I'm looking for in my kit is:

Mesh heads: This is probably the #1 thing I'm looking for. I want my set to feel as real as possible. I can't make a lot of noise where I live so a realistic electronic set is me trying to get as close to an acoustic set as possible without getting a fine for noise pollution.

Dual/Triple zone: As I mentioned before, I want the kit to feel as real as possible.

Price: I'm looking to keep it at around the $1000 range. $1500 is the absolute highest I am willing to go.

These are the kits that I found. If you have your own suggestions, please let me know:

1. Alesis DM10 X mesh kit ($1500)
    This is the closest thing to the 2014 kit that I could find. The price is holding me back though.

2. Alesis DM10 mesh kit ($1200)
    This is a good deal cheaper than the DM10 X listed above. I'm unsure if the DM10 X is worth paying the extra $250 for.

3. Simmons SD1500 ($1100)
    This kit just seems flat out amazing. What's holding me back is that the heads are pads and not mesh. This leads me to a question: Can mesh heads be put on any kit? Can I just buy mesh heads and slap them on this kit if I decide to buy it? I don't know much about the electronic kit world so I'm not sure how this kind of stuff works. I researched it and it seems like only certain kits are compatible with mesh head conversions but I hope that's wrong.

4. Traps E500 ($750)
    For the price, this set seems amazing. What's holding me back from this is the possibility that the other 3 options might be the better choice.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I really appreciate it. I've wanted my own set for 23 years and I'm so close to finally getting one.
    Last edited by Knikkey; 09-02-2014 at 09:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help me choose an electronic drum kit!

Try looking at the Roland TD-11KVs.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Try looking at the Roland TD-11KVs.
    Thanks, this kit looks pretty awesome. Do you have any first hand experience with it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Knikkey View Post
    Thanks, this kit looks pretty awesome. Do you have any first hand experience with it?
    No I play acoustic, but I've never heard any complaints about roland. The mesh heads are great because they have a real drum head feel. You can use any pedal (single or double) and the hi hat pad is great.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Brand spanking new product from Roland. To be released shortly. Not all mesh heads but...

http://youtu.be/3jVzbqy_o9c

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EyePea View Post
    Brand spanking new product from Roland. To be released shortly. Not all mesh heads but...
    They look nice.. But they seem like they wouldn't be able to take a beating.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    They look nice.. But they seem like they wouldn't be able to take a beating.
    What 'seems' and what 'is' are two different things. My HD-1's are very similar to these and they do take a beating.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

What 'seems' and what 'is' are two different things. My HD-1's are very similar to these and they do take a beating.
    You're right. I've played the HD-1 and it's great!

-Mike

User Info Menu

They remind me of a "Guitar Hero" drum kit....................probably great to start out on.

User Info Menu

Build your own?

I loved the e drums but never got comfortable with the tiny targets.

Get a cheap used generic kit, under $100

Install mesh heads ($20-$30 ea) and triggers ($20-$30 ea)

Find a used cheap rubber pad kit ($200-$900) and use the module, cables, cymbals and racking.

User Info Menu

Some mesh heads can be like trampolines and have an unnaturally strong rebound. Some of the newer, softer rubber pads are pretty good - don't overlook those.
    Gretsch Renown
    Ludwig Supraphonic
    Zildjian
    15”, 16”, 18” K Dark Thin
    16”, 18” K Sweet
    16" A Custom EFX
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    22” 60’s A Ride
    14" 50's Thin hats
    14” K Sweet hats

User Info Menu

I'd have a look at the Yamahas, the special rubber heads the have on their higher end (in my pic below, it's the white one) sets. Personally, I think the mesh heads are cool, but they seem to have a bit too much rebound, almost like playing on a trampoline. Granted, my kit is on the opposite extreme, so i guess it comes down to preference.

Have you tried each type? Also, read online reviews. I went with the yamaha dtx 500 (which was actually over my initial budget by about 20%) based on the reviews. For example, the Yamaha has this nifty mode which tells you if you're playing in beat or not. That to me is worth more than more realistic heads.

Given your budget, you have a lot of options, I would do some research, find a few models you like, go to a store and check them out (I was in the US when I tested the Yamaha, came back to Europe and bought it here, you might be in a similar situation).
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

That Roland looks awesome, especially if you live in a city and don't have a car, you could easily take that around with you. Great sound too!

My major issue is that it doesn't have a screen interface. I'm sure you can make custom kits on it, but I don't want to have to pull out the manual every time I do.

Anyone know the price?
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Anyone know the price?
    It's about $1000.

About the mesh heads feeling like trampolines: You can adjust the tightness on them to get the exact rebound you want right? Or can not all mesh heads be adjusted like that?

User Info Menu

I only recently got my Legacy DD506 kit (also called Session Pro/Medeli amongst others). I'd been set on the Roland TD11 for some time, and then the 2box Drumit5 after that. After much procrastinating I just looked on Ebay to see what was available and the DD506 showed up and I bought it for only AU$200.

I always figured these 'cheapos' (even though it's RRP is ~$800) ranked only slightly above toys but now that I have it I'm very happy with it.

Rather than continuing to wait until I could get what (I thought) I wanted, I came to the conclusion that the gap in my satisfaction between having nothing and anything was vast, and the satisfaction gap between what I now have and what I previously wanted is comparatively minute.
    http://stuzz.bandcamp.com/
    For I am so omniscient that if there were to be two omnisciences, I would be both! - Ziltoid

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    I'd have a look at the Yamahas, the special rubber heads the have on their higher end (in my pic below, it's the white one) sets. Personally, I think the mesh heads are cool, but they seem to have a bit too much rebound, almost like playing on a trampoline. Granted, my kit is on the opposite extreme, so i guess it comes down to preference.
    I was going to say about the same thing. Mesh is way too bouncy for me. The Yamaha DTX Heads are silicone (not rubber) and have a more natural feel than just about any other electronic option (in my opinion, of course.)

I'd definitely give these a look before you locked into mesh.

The DTX562k has DTX heads all around, a working hat (instead of a pad unlinked to a pedal) and lists for $1800. Before you say that that's out of your budget, know that there's easily 15% of wiggle room in there for retailers.

I got a 790k, listed at $3600 for $3k without even trying that hard.

At least try DTX before you go mesh. If you don't like it, no loss.

Whatever you get, enjoy your new rig!

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the input guys! The Yamaha was a little too pricey for me so I ended up going with the Roland TD-11K-S. It'll arrive in a couple of days.

Again, thank you guys so much!

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the input guys! The Yamaha was a little too pricey for me so I ended up going with the Roland TD-11K-S. It'll arrive in a couple of days.

let's see the pics when you get it.

User Info Menu

Awesome! Hope you enjoy them! Post pics.

User Info Menu

good choice! I've had alesis dm10X all converted to mesh heads for about 2 years, but recently I sold my module and switched to TD-11, some people say its down grade but I like it way better specially with the hi-hat. Also look for APEX sound pack, gives you additional 30 kits, it's 30$ but worth it.

User Info Menu

Cannot believe no one mentioned these.. Cannot get any quieter that's for sure.

Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I was thinking last week how awesome it would be if I could have a portable kit with me. My solution is a bit next gen, not a computer but google glass, but same idea.
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride