Thread: Smallest China Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Smallest China Cymbals

Have there ever been small China cymbals in the 8" or 10" range? Im really wishing there was because it would be an awesome addition to have about 3 to 4 of these towards the front of a kit.

It'd be much like Gavin Harrison's bell array only these are China cymbals.

What are smallest ones available or historically in the past? What's Zildjian's smallest China?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Smallest China Cymbals

Here's one I own:

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I have an 8" Stagg DH China splash - I like it but it sounds very similar to me to my 8" Stagg Furia splash (both were eBay impulse purchases). I tend to use the Furia splash and the china lives in a cymbal bag, pretty much forgotten. As Stagg cymbals have a reputation for being fragile if I break the Furia the china will take its place.

I don't know about any other manufacturer but Stagg have the DH and SH line, both are pretty cheap, generally the DH line of cymbals are brighter with more sustain. They are B20s hand made in China though - so like Wuhan cymbals they all sound very different so you may have to go through a lot before you find one that works for you.

User Info Menu

Looking for one that sounds like a small china and "dies" like a splash.

How does that Paiste sound like? You like it?

User Info Menu

I just re-read your first post - there are lots of different 10" china splashes available. I have 2 10" china splashes

[IMG][/IMG]

The 10s are a Stagg Sh and a Sabian Pro, the DH 8" China is also in the pic.
    Personally I think the Sabian Pro isn't "splashy" enough and tends to ring more than I would prefer. I like both Stagg china splashes though - the only thing I am wary of is they have a reputation of being fragile, but in the last year I have had no problems.

In my previous post I said that the DH 8" china sounds like the 8" Furia splash to me - it does. Its the Furia that sounds more like a china than a regular splash - not the other way round (if that makes sense)

User Info Menu

I have 2 8" chinas. They're exactly the same, but neither one has a brand. They have an extremely low, flat bell and a very unique sound. I've also owned various 10" and 12" versions of these. All have a super fast decay, with the 10" and 12" ones having more of a china sound. The 8" is honestly hard to describe. I have a recording somewhere, will post it later. I use one 8" by itself and the other is stacked bell-down on top of an 8" Sabian B8 Pro splash that is upside-down...almost looks like some really weird hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Stagg SH and DH chinas
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

Seems Paiste has discontinued the 8" Twenty Mini China. Strange how Zildjian doesnt have one nor a 10"er.

Also, isnt it weird how this useful cymbal seems to NOT have been mastered by the cymbal makers? Is it due to the fact that it being too small that it wont yield as much revenue especially that it is an effects type cymbal thereby limiting its overall likeability?

User Info Menu

Zildjian has made 8" and 10" Oriental China Trashes, but only as prototypes I think. There's a Sound Lab video where they are shown and played.
    Sabian makes a 10" HH China Kang, I think this one's more designed for stacking.
    Paiste makes, or made, 8" and 10" chinas in their Twenty series.
    Meinl makes a "Piccolo Trash China" in 10", never heard it.
    Dream makes a 10" Pang China, that has the bell inverted so when you mount it upside-down as many people do, the bell is on the same side where the flange bends down.
    There are the ones I own with no brand.
    The Zildjian Trashformers could also count as far as their sound is concerned, 8" and 10". They don't look like chinas but sound very trashy.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Spiderjig: I've seen and tried this China Splash but sedems to me Zildjian was half hearted with this. It is a little trashy but not enough to merit a "China" name on it.

Really wondering why they are not interested in making small ones or at least continue those they experimented on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuiCeeAddict View Post
    How does that Paiste sound like? You like it?
    Yeah, it's not bad, it has the initial splash of a, well...splash...and then the after-ring and decay of a small Chinese dinner gong....definitely is an effects cymbal to use sparingly. I won't use it in every drum kit set up, obviously.

Mind you, the percussionist in me always says "the weirder, the better", that's the way I sometimes roll!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I have a sweet 12" Sabian China Splash I absolutely LOVE it

Don't have a new photo... but this is my old china splash to the right of my snare

Last edited by SpazApproved; 09-03-2014 at 09:54 AM.

User Info Menu

Looking for one that sounds like a small china and "dies" like a splash.
    That's just how I would describe this busted Wuhan I cut
    down a few years ago. My favorite effects cymbal to this day.

From back in the day I did it but have always have it on the kit as many other cymbals have come and gone.

User Info Menu

Nice! Why don't you put a soundclip or video on YouTube for this?

User Info Menu

Nice! Why don't you put a soundclip or video on YouTube for this?
    I could, I just haven't done any recording of any kind, short or long.
    But slowly gathering recording gear for the day I open that can of worms.

Here's where I'm at with my extra time and/or income.

Building a jam/rehearsal room in the basement. (pics soon)
    Building up a nice Carvin Bass rig for my wife. (pics soon)
    Looking for another band on the side. We'll leave it at that.
    Still shopping for drum gear. (That G.A.S. thing. (Geez! It just don't stop)
    Practicing and playing every chance I can.
    Keeping up with you guys with a junk computer.

And then working/bids and preparing for winter, between Advils.
    Selling my old Harley, dialing in and riding my newer Harley.