Thread: Sabian AAX Prone to cracking

User Info Menu

Exclamation Sabian AAX Prone to cracking

So i've had my 16" AAX-Plosion crash for just over 2 years, 2 years and 3 days as of writing, in that time it's cracked 3 times, the first two because of my technique, just recently, the day it turned 2, it cracked, I have played proper technique since the last crack and have massively lowered my hit power
    I've read other articles saying AAX Crashes are prone to cracking because of the way they're hammered, similar to a Z custom or Paise RUDE.
    Are they, or am I just wrong?
    Im ugrading cymbals for christmas anyway, going TRX, great prices for great cymbals in my opinion!
    Thanks in advance
    Liam

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian AAX Prone to cracking

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDrummer66 View Post
    So i've had my 16" AAX-Plosion crash for just over 2 years, 2 years and 3 days as of writing, in that time it's cracked 3 times, the first two because of my technique, just recently, the day it turned 2, it cracked, I have played proper technique since the last crack and have massively lowered my hit power
    I've read other articles saying AAX Crashes are prone to cracking because of the way they're hammered, similar to a Z custom or Paise RUDE.
    Are they, or am I just wrong?
    Im ugrading cymbals for christmas anyway, going TRX, great prices for great cymbals in my opinion!
    Thanks in advance
    Liam
    Maybe the damage was already done - like you said two cracks were down to technique (hitting too hard?), possibly it was overstressed from being abused frequently before you addressed your technique problems? I've never heard that AAX crashes are prone to being fragile.

User Info Menu

I've never heard that about AAX either. I'm sure it was previous abuse that caused the 3rd crack. It's almost always technique rather than a faulty cymbal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    Maybe the damage was already done - like you said two cracks were down to technique (hitting too hard?), possibly it was overstressed from being abused frequently before you addressed your technique problems? I've never heard that AAX crashes are prone to being fragile.
    They replaced the cymbal previously so I don't know.
    I have an idea to cut the crack out with an angle grinder then smooth it down, make it look intentional, you get me?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDrummer66 View Post
    They replaced the cymbal previously so I don't know.
    I have an idea to cut the crack out with an angle grinder then smooth it down, make it look intentional, you get me?
    If you are going to use an angle grinder be careful - the vibration may cause the crack to lengthen. It may be best to drill out the end of the crack to attempt to stop it spreading, then cut away a V shape from the sides. Take your time though and try not to throw caution to the wind and let the heat build up too much.
    If it is a small edge crack it may be possible to reduce that area with a file.
    I did this to a cracked cymbal I bought on ebay just to see how it would work out - the crack was only about a quarter of an inch long though - at £10 it was worth a go and I'm happy with the results.

cIMG][/IMG]

I took my time with it and reduced the entire side of the cymbal that had the crack and then removed any sharp edges with a fine swiss file. You should be able to salvage something and it should be ok - if you have to cut a large piece out of it don't expect it to sound the same though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    If you are going to use an angle grinder be careful - the vibration may cause the crack to lengthen. It may be best to drill out the end of the crack to attempt to stop it spreading, then cut away a V shape from the sides. Take your time though and try not to throw caution to the wind and let the heat build up too much.
    If it is a small edge crack it may be possible to reduce that area with a file.
    I did this to a cracked cymbal I bought on ebay just to see how it would work out - the crack was only about a quarter of an inch long though - at £10 it was worth a go and I'm happy with the results.

cIMG][/IMG]

I took my time with it and reduced the entire side of the cymbal that had the crack and then removed any sharp edges with a fine swiss file. You should be able to salvage something and it should be ok - if you have to cut a large piece out of it don't expect it to sound the same though.
    It is a very small crack, i measured and it's exactly 2cm.

User Info Menu

AAX are not any weaker than any other thin to medium cymbals. Technique most likely caused it.
    Depending on where the cracks are, you can do a number of things. If it's on the edge, that has already been described above. If it's further in, you can completely cut the cymbal down past the crack to make a smaller splash or bell. If it's around the bell, you can at least save the bell itself if the crack does not touch that area. It can be turned into a stack as well.

User Info Menu

I've had two 16" AAX-Plosion crash's over the last 6 years. They both cracked, but I got a lot of playing out of it and am not unhappy with the fact they both cracked.

Cymbals crack...it happens.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I haven't cracked any cymbals since I started playing in the early '80s but I suppose it happens....

User Info Menu

Well first let me say that the TRX's aren't really an upgrade. Just a new choice! It sounds like to me that you might be trying to play over top of some very loud amps. You might need a heavier cymbal, like a Paragon or equivalent. My favourite cymbal is actually the AAX-plosion fast crash, which is an even thinner cymbal. I use these in my basement so I don't need to hit them so hard.

User Info Menu

I had Sabian AAX and cracked two of them quickly.. so I returned them under warranty to Sabian, then traded them back in to the music store for something more heavy to handle my playing. I loved the sound but to soft.

User Info Menu

Crazy. I've Pm'd you
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

i've never heard of a sabian have cracking problems. I know they're paid to say it but a lot of their artist flame they haven't cracked on yet.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

I have the very same 16" AAXplosion crash and is my main cymbal on my setup alongside the 14" and 18" versions. I've owned it from new since around 2004 and had no problems whatsoever. My technique is certainly not the best and I have been known to lay in to my cymbals in certain circumstances. This has caused some minor dishaping on the outer edge but nothing more.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

I'm not putting down Sabian here other cymbals crack just the same but, both my AAX crash and top hi hat cracked. This happened a few years ago. I decided to get out of Sabian and go all Zildjian since then. Everything I have now is crack free.

first generation Z and Z customs are what I use now.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I have had my AAX crack on me too! I have been using Sabian since I started playing back in 1986. Yes, I cracked many in my years due to bad technique so I have learned to keep my cymbals loose and give a glancing strike. Haven't had the cracking problem anymore.

User Info Menu

I play AAX line and never cracked one. But have cracked a Z china boy
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh