Thread: My Cymbal Broke!

User Info Menu

Default My Cymbal Broke!

can cymbals break due to heat???

User Info Menu

Well i suppose they cn but i hink it would have to be a hell of a lot of heat.

User Info Menu

yeah...but like any metal they wouldn't break they would just mealt

User Info Menu

yeah.. they are metal so if you put it like in the oven on 100,000 degrees for a long time it would probably melt.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

i tend to find they break cos they get whacked a lot ?? ...just a thought

dave

User Info Menu

Default My Cymbal Broke!

Unless you play cymbals with burning drumsticks ! While heating and tempering are part of the cymbal-making process, heat alone wouldn't cause a cymbal to break.

pinkfloyd, you're right about cymbals breaking due to stress from "being whacked a lot." The felt washers absorb some of the stress the cymbals take from being mounted on their stands, but if you thrash the heck out of them, it's not impossible for a cymbal to break because the center flexes around the post. And, as with any flexing metal part, it can flex just once too often, and crack!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

mine broke because it was one of those really cheap ones. that i got with the set from the guy that sold it to me. so yeah. thats why mine broke. then i bought a really awesome fancy one and it's not broke because its really fancy expensive. *my opinion*

User Info Menu

you got it gurl !!

fancy smancy = no break (for a good lone time anyway)
    cheapo crapo = breako

like everything in life you get what you pay for !!

User Info Menu

Ain't that the truth!!!
    and cymbals are a perfect example...
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I have broken countless cymbols over the years. I also have a hard playing style. I bash the cr@p out of them, but they sounds great when hit hard. Really brings out each ones own characteristics

Keith

User Info Menu

If you hit them wrong they will crack! ALWAYS strike your cymbals with a glancing blow! NEVER straight on! Cheap cymbals usually don'tcrack as much as good one because they are made of softer metal.

Dave Huffman

User Info Menu

really cheap cymbals dont crack as much cuz im just starting to see a crack in one of mine that i really love but i dont know wat to do with it?

any thoughts drummers?? its just a real small crack
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by amputechture
    really cheap cymbals dont crack as much cuz im just starting to see a crack in one of mine that i really love but i dont know wat to do with it?

any thoughts drummers?? its just a real small crack
    Drill small holes at the edges of the crack, this will stop the crack from spreading.

If the crack is at the edge of the cymbal, you can take it to your music store and get the crack 'scooped' out.

If it's a big crack right in the middle of the cymbal, drill holes at the ede of the crack to stop it spreading, then run the drill at a smaller radius along the crack to stop the crack edges scraping against each other (I did this to an 18 inch Z custom crash recently - it doesn't sound as good as it did before the crack, but it's still good).

User Info Menu

If its zildjian, and its under 1 year, i do belive zildjian has a warranty on every cymbal they make, 1 year starting, but at the guitar center i go to for cymbals, you can buy a 2 year warranty for like 15 bucks more

User Info Menu

you can play on it until the crack gets bigger and it starts to sound like you are hitting a hubcab. Then replace it.

Or

you can replace it now.

User Info Menu

lmao, that happened to like 3 of my splashes, and one of my old rides. wear and tear really gets yah, but heat.... i... i ..you no what.. i dont freakin no.