Thread: Any recommendations on good headphones?

User Info Menu

Default Any recommendations on good headphones?

Hey,
    Sorry, this question has probably been asked many times before but would you guys have recommendations for good headphones? I googled a bit but only found answers to this question dating back a few years ago so obviously better stuff has probably come out since then. I need first and foremost good sound isolation. I don't want to hear the sound of my sticks hitting the pads. And yeah, good sound quality is preferable. I have a pair of senheizer but they're like 20 years old and they don't have any sound suppression. Price range would be anywhere from 100-200. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Any recommendations on good headphones?

I'm using Vic Firth headphone. Well under $100 and they sound great. I know everyone has their preference but I just play for fun for myself and not in the studio (though I have used them in a studio). Go bang for the buck. I think they are comfortable, others will say they are too tight.

User Info Menu

If you're looking for noise cancelling, that's different than a pair that gets good sound. For blocking out sounds the Vic Firth is a good option, but for headphones that don't miss a lot of key sounds - i'd go with anything AKG makes.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going for bang for buck so the Vic Firth sound like a good option.

User Info Menu

I have the GK-Music UltraPhones. Super expensive ($230) but worth it. They are completely passive, and isolate amazingly well, particularly the higher frequencies (snare and cymbals). They have very nice Sony drivers built in, for sound. If you can afford them, I'd highly recommend them. I've used my Bose noise canceling phones with my drums, but the GKs are better for drumming, IMHO.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I've owned several different ones over the years

I've had two different sets of VF isolating headphones.............they isolate well, but are tight and the sound is acceptable.....................but both pair developed a short in the left ear.................now they are worthless

The best, reasonably priced, headphones I've used are my Sennheiser HD280 Pros...................great

Just recently, I picked up a set of Shure SE215's.....................only used them a few times, but so far, I have no complaints.

Both the Sennheiser headphones and the Shure IEMs are right around $100

Good luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    The best, reasonably priced, headphones I've used are my Sennheiser HD280 Pros...................great

Just recently, I picked up a set of Shure SE215's.....................only used them a few times, but so far, I have no complaints.

Both the Sennheiser headphones and the Shure IEMs are right around $100
    Good luck
    How good are these at blocking outside sound?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clem84 View Post
    How good are these at blocking outside sound?
    I've only used the Shure IEM's for two rehearsals and one gig.................blocked everything out well..................I had to bring my drums up, in the mix, just to hear myself properly.

The Sennheisers do well also, but the IEMs were even better IMO

User Info Menu

I have some Sony Studio 6Vs that are great. I have a pair from the 80s that are still working but the ear pads are wearing out. I got mine from B&H camera for about $80 shipped which isn't too shabby.

User Info Menu

Here's a long thread on headphones if it helps.

User Info Menu

for my e-kit I'm use both sennhiser HD 25-1 II's and HD 25 SP's for my students. Great isolation, light weight and the sound is neutral which is very important when eqing your own drums for live use

if you want good cans that last then don't go cheap! I have been through about 6 pairs over the years and its not worth it in the long run

User Info Menu

I use to play with the VicFirth also but no longer. I use a set of Sure InEars now and I'll never go back

User Info Menu

I'm happy with my Sony MDR V600's. About a hundred bux. Well built (rugged) and sound great!