Thread: What are you working on?

User Info Menu

Default What are you working on?

Just curious to see what everyone is working on at the moment. A specific song? A certain fill?

For me, I'm working on this fill from Vans Drumming. They guy is a nutty as all get-out, but I like what he teaches.

How about you? What are you working on?
    Last edited by porkpieguy; 09-10-2014 at 09:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What are you working on?

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Just curious to see what everyone is working on at the moment. A specific song? A certain fill?

For me, I'm working on this fill from Vans Drumming. They guy is a nutty as all get-out, but I like what he teaches.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/1/#in...f4?projector=1

How about you? What are you working on?
    hmmmmm, I click on your link and my Gmail opens up??
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Im working on getting tight with my metronome once again - Band #3 is going into the studio starting next week and I insisted we use the studios "click-track" so Ive got my shure ear-buds plugged into my Tama rhythm watch metronome and getting re-familiar with working with a click. This will be the first time in the studio with this band.

After the first 5 minutes, I figured out Ive been coming out of my riffs just a tiny bit too quick so this will be really good for my upcoming studio sessions as well as my live gigs. Funny how you never notice little things like that till you play with a click - then you find out just how "accurate" you really are or arent~!

At first, the plan was to use the studio's drum kit because it was already set up in the booth and EQ'd in - (which I hated but which Ive had to do before) and then yesterday I was told that the studio had not been using their drum kit on the last few sessions and their kit was in cases so I should go ahead and set mine up since I was going to use my kick pedals, throne and closed X-Hat anyways so Im happy about getting to play my Yamaha Oak Custom 6 piece kit - I plan on taking both of my snares #1=Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14 x 6.5 and #2= Pearl Free Floating 14 x 6.5 Maple shell snare with brass die-cast hoops.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    hmmmmm, I click on your link and my Gmail opens up??
    At least MY gmail didn't open up.

Let me work on it...

Edit: Fixed it!

User Info Menu

Today I am practicing with a singer / guitar player to prepare for a gig next week.

User Info Menu

works now,

yeah I have seen that Vans guy. He is a great drummer but I can only take him in small doses once he starts yapping trying to be funny I have about a minute and then I am out.

I am working on a few things at the moment, I finally opened up my Groove Essentials book and CD that my wife bought me last xmas and am working on groove #1. I recorded myself and noticed the same problems warren mentioned about coming out of my fills too soon, as well as you can tell that I am anticipating the fill before I start because my hi hat or ride gets a little louder so I need to work on that.

I would like to be able to play the complete fat back sheet at 80bpm 2 measures each without stopping but have yet to accomplish that one.

I also really want to learn the ending to rock and roll (Zep) pretty much note for note rather than winging it like I always do. I started this video 2 nights ago. I think it's pretty close.

Last edited by MDK; 09-10-2014 at 10:07 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Blending time signatures.

Playing 5/4 and 4/4 at the same time so the over lap every other measure. Same thing with 13/8 over 6/8. Stuff like that.

Also soloing in odd time and transitioning into different time signatures and feels.

This has primarily been my focus for the last 5 years or so and consumes majority of my playing time.

This is a good explanation of the kind of stuff I work on.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vjy14NvWuRI
    Last edited by Exotic Matter; 09-10-2014 at 10:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Two new originals written by my bass player.

First is very Porky Tree; second is solid Winery Dog type sound.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

You guys are making me exhausted just reading about what you're working on.

User Info Menu

Nothing. Just play for 5 or 10 minutes a week.

User Info Menu

I'm working on booking new gigs and trying to re-organize the band and keep them focused after losing our bass player. An existing member (or possibly 2) will be taking over bass, depending on the song. They are both very capable, but play with different feel. That will also require that I change as well. The entire dynamics of the band change.

A drummer's work is never done.....
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Hi, rehearsing for a few gigs we have lined up in the next couple of weeks, and three pieces I am trying to perfect for my exam.
    I will post links when I get to uploading them to you tube.
    They are quite fast and one has a changing time signature, but I think I am getting there.
    I am also brushing up on 6/8 using my metronome.
    From Bridie.

User Info Menu

Re-organizing with a new singer auditioning for the one cover band(we do side"B's"not "A's".) We all hope this one doesn't want to take us over and make us all crazy!
    Same with the 60's cover band but with new bass(who says he can figure out my fill patterns, making it more fun to play bass!?)
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

dmacc Guest

Practice wise I've been using Joe Morello's books "New Directions in Rhythm" and "Rudimental Jazz" and incorporating them with the material in Steve Fidkyk's book "Jazz Drum Set Independence".

User Info Menu

Practicing about 120 songs for 2 classic rock cover bands... have 80% down pretty well... Middle of the Road is my irritant right now... don't particularly like the song, and it's HARD! wa wa wa

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marthared View Post
    Practicing about 120 songs for 2 classic rock cover bands... have 80% down pretty well... Middle of the Road is my irritant right now... don't particularly like the song, and it's HARD! wa wa wa
    Middle of the Road by the Pretenders?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Re-organizing with a new singer auditioning for the one cover band(we do side"B's"not "A's".)
    This is the coolest idea I've ever heard.

User Info Menu

Ambidextrous exercises for hands and feet. I'm always working on them! The surprising thing about doing more and more piano exercises is how often things overlap. The more I'm practicing left hand shuffle on the hi-hat, the more confident I can feel my left hand doing bass lines on a keyboard with the right hand playing melodies (albeit, slow and simple at first)....and vice versa, the more blues 'boogie' lines I do with the left hand on the keys, the easier left hand shuffles are. And of course watching guys like Simon Phillips, Billy Cobham etc doesn't hurt either!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I have spent most of my time concentrating on basic rudiments and sticking exercises on a practice pad/metronome and then going to the kit, playing songs I know to see if I have improved my timekeeping and ability to play fills.

I think my timing and stick control has improved a little, but I still suck at fills.
    I need to practice more of everything.

User Info Menu

Yea, Russ... Pretenders

User Info Menu

Been doing a bunch of filling in for bands lately so I've been mostly trying to catch up on song material that everybody knows but me, which is fun because it really keeps me in my toes.

If I was able to sit down and just practice, I'd be spending half of my time getting more accurate with my right food and the other half playing a simple groove for an extended period of time, trying to make the groove sit in the pocket as much as it possibly can.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope