Thread: Re-wrap a wrap?

User Info Menu

Default Re-wrap a wrap?

Anybody do this: put a thin wrap over an original, old, glued, troublesome-to-remove wrap? Not talking about glitter here.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Default Re: Re-wrap a wrap?

If it's a thin vinyl, like car decal thin, yes. People do it. There is glitter/sparkle material sold for that purpose, but you could use any thin vinyl sticky material.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    If it's a thin vinyl, like car decal thin, yes. People do it. There is glitter/sparkle material sold for that purpose, but you could use any thin vinyl sticky material.
    According to the guy that I'm talking with on EvilBay says that the "credit card thick but very flexible" material can be put over an existing wrap. I've not done it, but if I had to, I probably would.

User Info Menu

IDK, the heads are usually pretty tight to start with on a wrapped drum. Most Ive seen already have scuff marks where the head slips over the shell. I could see using a thin auto vinyl wrap, but anything you use would need to be trimmed back far enough from the bearing edge that it doesn't touch the head. Using a slightly oversized head like the Evans 360 would help some too.
    I have an old Taiwan set that someone re-rapped with actual drum wrap. They actually folded the wrap OVER the bearing edge in spots, LOL. Guess they thought the head would help hold the wrap on.....must have been fun to tune, huh ?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

might need longer screws for the hardware too.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN