Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Less is more?

User Info Menu

Default Less is more?

Hi,

Saw a group play recently, and I'm a bit bothered by what I heard on drums, and I was hoping maybe you more experienced types could help. so the show was rock, funk blues, 1/3 originals, 2/3 covers, some great musicians, and everything played fine but...

The drummer did quite basic stuff. The beats were always fine and appropriate, but it was all rather simplistic. I've been playing for 3 years, I'd say I'd be able to manage all of that in the next 18 months (I need to be a little bit faster, mostly about improving keeping time, not a question of coordination however). This drummer apparently has been playing for more than 2 decades. MY guitarist, who played a bit of drums, said he thought the guy had been playing 5-6 years.

Anyway, my real issue is that there was no spice, nothing sexy. No ghost notes, no cool fills, I don't think the guy touched the toms at all on 1/3 of the songs, and didn't do much with them when he did.

Yes, it's true I sometimes do a bit too much (that's more true of practice than live however). It's also true that some of the types of music played typically have very simple drums. What perhaps surprised me the most was that there wasn't any change from covers to originals, the same basic stuff.

So should I take this as a lesson in doing less is more or as a lesson that you got to be continually out improving the sound?
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Default Re: Less is more?

I hear what you're saying, but unless I knew more about the music that was being played, it's hard to critique the drummer's playing. I will say that some drummers are more about the groove, with limited but tasteful fills. Other drummers like amazing fills. In the end, if the band likes the way the drummer plays, it's all good. Keep in mind that Keith Moon wouldn't have been the right drummer for every band.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

if they were ACDC covers then he was probably spot on lol
    Pearl Export EX matte purple with black hardware 10, 13, 14, 22

14" Zildjian Constantinople hats
    22" Zildjian Constantinople ride
    8" Zildjian Constantinople splash
    20" Zildjian Constantinople ride/crash
    18" Zildjian Constantinople riveted ride/crash
    16" A. Zildjian Thin Crash (now a wall decoration)
    18" A. Zildjian Thin Crash
    14" Avedis Zildjian crash

User Info Menu

Maybe the drummer did not want to make mistakes at a live show so did not try fancy fills.

User Info Menu

There is no right answer. If he was keeping steady time and everything fit, then he was a good drummer...whether he has been playing 2 years or 2 decades. He was playing with his own style, as he saw fit. I think what you really noticed was that YOU have your OWN style and taste as well....and it was different than his. You noticed places that you felt needed "more", or "spiced up", and that's exactly what will make you different from the next guy. Soooo.....I say, be comfortable with your own style and "play what ya feel"!

It's also possible that he was laying back on purpose, for any number of reasons. He may not have felt 100% or maybe they were having issues within the band. Maybe his monitor wasn't working, maybe one of the guitar players was struggling, etc.. There are some gigs when everything just falls in place and I feel comfortable to get aggressive. Other times, something or someone is "off" and I stick to a minimalist style. And sometimes I just plain suck no matter what I try.....so I just concentrate on keeping basic time. My personal view is this; if I play too much or too little, the drums will stick out in the music and bring attention to myself over the others. If I blend in with the others and the music, and no one notices the drums out of place, then I'm right on target.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 09-14-2014 at 07:53 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    There is no right answer. If he was keeping steady time and everything fit, then he was a good drummer...whether he has been playing 2 years or 2 decades. He was playing with his own style, as he saw fit. I think what you really noticed was that YOU have your OWN style and taste as well....and it was different than his. You noticed places that you felt needed "more", or "spiced up", and that's exactly what will make you different from the next guy. Soooo.....I say, be comfortable with your own style and "play what ya feel"!

It's also possible that he was laying back on purpose, for any number of reasons. He may not have felt 100% or maybe they were having issues within the band. Maybe his monitor wasn't working, maybe one of the guitar players was struggling, etc.. There are some gigs when everything just falls in place and I feel comfortable to get aggressive. Other times, something or someone is "off" and I stick to a minimalist style. And sometimes I just plain suck no matter what I try.....so I just concentrate on keeping basic time. My personal view is this; if I play too much or too little, the drums will stick out in the music and bring attention to myself over the others. If I blend in with the others and the music, and no one notices the drums out of place, then I'm right on target.
    Well put Brian. If the band is playing out, I usually like to see the drummer joining in. But sometimes the other players play so much that there has to be a foundation. If everyone is playing out at the same time, it doesn't usually groove as hard.

As PB said, it really depends on the music. My mantra is "play for the song" but it's still subjective. It's hard to say whether or not that drummer wasn't playing more on purpose or because he didn't have the chops. Do you have a recording you could post? That would be revealing.

User Info Menu

I know where you're coming from, but over the years I learned that what gets you work with cover bands is this: "Timing, timing, and more timing. Then anything else on top is icing on the cake." Although, like what others have said, it all depends on context. But one of your prime jobs (prime, but not just the only one) is to provide the foundation.

I think it was once I started playing hand percussion years ago, plus tuned percussion (vibes and marimba) and keyboards (the more melodic stuff) that I realised that drummer who can keep time well, on top of having bits of flash, is more of an asset than a show pony who can't give me a good feeling groove. I do this with my students....we'll have a bout of time in lessons where I'll get on the keyboards and give them a bass line, sometimes with melody up on top, seeing how well they can keep time, do a fill and not lose it on me.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 09-14-2014 at 09:23 PM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Maybe he was new to the band. Or he was directed by the band to just play the basics and not to overstep. Or that's how the band likes it. Safe and simple. Without hearing the band it's hard to state an opinion.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

When I hear songs on the radio, I'm always amazed at the vast number of them (classic rock especially) that have a minimal amount of fills and a straight, simple, driving beat. Think of the contrast in style between AC/DC and Rush...yet they are both perfection in the way the drums are structured as an integral part of their signature sound.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Interesting points, no dude is not new to the band and they've been playing together for a few years. The guitarist is really good, the bassist is actually a very good guitarist who plays bass for them, so the talent level in the rest of the band is there.

I get what you're saying with timing on covers, especially with these guys cause they play the covers 99% the same as the original (which for me, a jazz lover, is kinda strange but that's another topic).

I think for me the two most important things about playing music is to make it your own and have fun. But as people have written, every drummer has their own path...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride

User Info Menu

It's hard to make simple sound bad, but it's easy to make busy sound good. When in doubt, leave it out! Don't overcomplicate your drum parts, just make sure you can nail the basic beat(think of your audience). Fills, solos, ghost notes, that's all stuff you should use in small amounts to spice up the main vital rhythm. It's not really needed, can help or hurt depending on how you use them. Prime concern should be mastery of main beat.
    Last edited by Russ; 09-15-2014 at 03:42 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I think this video shows "less is more" it's all about the songwriting

Last edited by slinky; 09-15-2014 at 06:01 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Hi,
    Do should I take this as a lesson in doing less is more or as a lesson that you got to be continually out improving the sound?
    Well, less isn't more. That's why it's called less.
    And yes, you should always try to improve yourself. (For everything in life.)
    If you thought it was boring, it was boring. Don't play like that guy, if you can help it. (If you're still learning a group's songs, or having a really off day, those are good exceptions.) If a group doesn't want you to play with more fills, find a new group. (Unless they're paying you A LOT. Then be boring and find some exciting people to play with on the side.) Play how you want to play.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

play how you want to play, i'm not a busy player but i do enough for the song, i don't like seeing guys over playing that makes it all about the drummer then, unless your not in a band then it doesn't matter.

cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I think this video shows "less is more" it's all about the songwriting

What I love about AC/DC is that Angus is so small he makes the body of an SG look huge.

User Info Menu

I play in a Classic rock band and sometimes I feel like I don't play enough fills or very complex ones when I do play them. But then I listen to the original recording of the songs we cover and I find that there really aren't many fills in them. Since I like to stay true to the original for the most part, I think my time is better spent refining my technique and making sure my timing is accurate.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    It's hard to make simple sound bad, but it's easy to make busy sound good. When in doubt, leave it out! Don't overcomplicate your drum parts, just make sure you can nail the basic beat(think of your audience). Fills, solos, ghost notes, that's all stuff you should use in small amounts to spice up the main vital rhythm. It's not really needed, can help or hurt depending on how you use them. Prime concern should be mastery of main beat.
    Could not agree more. My personal approach is to keep it simple, with just enough flavor to keep it interesting. However, like Russ said, if I'm ever in doubt or don't have the confidence, I just play it right down the middle. This approach has served me well in multiple situations and works for the genre that I play most.

Tex

User Info Menu

Some interesting points here, I would say some comments almost make it seem like we're metronomes not musicians (well im not at a level to call myself a musician, but im sure most/all of you guys are).

I think my real point is this, shouldn't we be expressing ourselves? Like with any instrument, it has to fit the music, but that's true for everyone playing...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride

User Info Menu

By all means, express yourself on drums. That's what music is all about. Drums are no different than guitar in that respect. I think your question is, "How much is too much?". And...that is entirely subjective to your own individual taste, your band mates, the song, etc.. What I view as "busy" drumming would probably be viewed as basic and simple by someone who has a ton of chops and knows how to implement them tastefully. That's where the musicianship comes in. All that said, steady timing and smooth flow is still #1 priority.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Case in point:

User Info Menu

Drummers need to become a lot less drum-centric. A good song is a good song no matter what the drummer is doing. There is a whole lot more to a song than drums.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Excellent example. I love his style...and the comment about being the Jimmy Hendrix of drums is spot on. I've noticed before how well his style paired up with Jimmy's guitar style. Almost like a collective consciousness.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Drummers need to become a lot less drum-centric. A good song is a good song no matter what the drummer is doing. There is a whole lot more to a song than drums.

all the best...
    This.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I think your question is, "How much is too much?". .
    Actually quite the opposite, "How little is too little?"

Another example, my guitarist wants to cover rock and roll by lep zep. Now I can handle the basics of that no problem, but some of the nice details in that song that Bohnam does are just a bit too much of a stretch for me.

So I can 'play' it in the sense that I can make and keep the beat, but it won't sound as good. Will most people notice? Probably not, will Lep Zep fans? Maybe yes, definitely yes if they also know/play drums.

So maybe the real question is "Are we here just to keep the beat?"
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride